Fire Joe Douglas 2023-24 Edition

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 19, 2023.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

moral of your story - the Jets need to pray more

Borat likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Jets have a fair amount of good young players, limited picks next year and a bad cap situation. They also have a massive amount of offensive holes.

They might need to do something controversial like trading Sauce for a first round pick. The Dolphins reset their roster and bad situation when they unloaded players for picks (Fitzpatrick, Drake) and the Broncos have done something similar (Chubb, Miller) even though they dumped a bunch of picks into Russell Wilson.

We might need a roster reset even if it won’t be favorable to the fans.

Jets69 likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

you'd have to assume sauce is worth more then 1 1st round pick but 1 thing is pretty clear. the D is going to have to take some hits to fix the offense.

REVISion likes this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm not totally opposed to trading some talent for picks but I think Sauce is pretty low on the list of guys I'd be willing to let go of.

Some guys we could get value for that I'd trade first -

Quinnen
    JJ
    Breece
    Quincy

I consider Breece to be a better player than GW but I also think it's easier to find a good RB than a good WR which is why I'm not sure GW should be on the block.

Quinnen's actually a no brainer imo. He's been great for us but DT just isn't that impactful unless your name is Aaron Donald.

5. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Look, the defense is very good. The offense is average, give-or-take.

The problem is we lost the QB and blew the #2 pick in 2021.

90% here wanted Zach. We have the old threads, if they can be resuscitated.

6. REVISion

?????????????????????

JohnnyJet, egbert souse and Borat like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

I wouldn't move Q. the difference he makes on the line is too valueable
    Quincy is way to cheap to move. he's playing like a 15mil/ year Lber on a 6mil/yr contract
    Breece I wouldn't move. RBs have no value in the trade market. and he only cost 2.5 mil plus we need to load up offense

JJ is a possibility, as is JFM, I could see reed getting moved as well. He'll have value, he's in his final year and will want more money in 2025 and echols is a proven replacement. Sauce is possible and has the most value but carries alot dead cap.

mosley is movable and saves 11mil. would suck but we drafted sherwood to take his spot eventually and quincy has been beast mode. not sure his value. maybe a 4th?
    JFM saves about 7 mil probably worth a 4th or so
    reed saves 6 mil should be worth a 3rd id' imagine
    uzo is getting cut to save 6 mil most likely

8. GasedAndConfused

there was like 3 peple that wanted fields. the rest wanted zach (myself included) nobody was winning this one lol

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yes … who knows whom they would have drafted had they had the first pick, but in a sense, they got lucky that the Panthers chose Young, who looks brutal out there

But this backs up my point that I’ve raised many times…when a player is great, it doesn’t take long to see it. There are flashes. There are games. Rookies, especially rookie QBs, often have a hard time getting up to speed over a 16 or 17 game NFL season, but you see moments and flashes and games.

With Stroud, we’ve seen several great games already…in just over half a season. Crazy how good he’s been. And it’s not like he’s playing for Andy Reid on a stacked team. He has a rookie HC (also defensive guy, by the way) on a team that’s been bad for long time. He doesn’t have a Breece Hall or a GW on his team. And he’s balling.

We’ve got 31 games on Zach already…and we’ve NEVER seen ONE SINGLE great game. Not a one. It’s crazy.

I don’t need to look at the stats (but they all support it!). He’s terrible. Worst in the league terrible.

10. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

They also drafted two franchise QB's, and appears to have got the better San Fran DC as head coach as well.

11. REVISion

Agreed on Breece. I just don't think anyone on defense would move the needle as much as Quinnen would. We could get some serious stuff in return for him.

JohnnyJet likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

some players have different paths though. some look great right away, some don't but get better. some never put it all together.
    The majority fan take from the texans fans were they were pissed they won that game losing out on 1st overall because "carolina was going to get young and they were gonna be stuck with stroud instead"

13. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately they won't have a choice, they won't be able to afford to sign Gardner anyway, without crippling the team.

JohnnyJet likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

I think both Q and sauce would fetch 2 1sts. sauce may even fetch more because the insanely low cap. we would eat a bunch of dead money though and basicaly take a step back cap wise which ruins the purpose.
    I don't think moving anyone that cost us cap makes sense, but I do think shedding some talent on the D that saves money to spend it on the offense makes sense.

15. REVISion

An underrated part of Stroud's success is the addition of Slowik as OC. Spent the last 5 seasons working with the 49ers. We absolutely must add a young, creative offensive coach like that in addition to any QB moves.

Borat likes this.
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I hate this team

17. GasedAndConfused

it's going to be tough because GW, sauce, and JJ will all be FAs the same year and all play premium positions. but we have sauce cheap 2 more years and 1 year relatively cheap with the option before we have to break the bank. by that time rodgers and all the pushed money will be gone.

18. GasedAndConfused

lol you've been around long enough to know thats what being a jet fan is all about.

19. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

This made me laugh for some reason. Perhaps it's what was said and your avatar combined.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I picked Sauce because I think he offers the greatest return when you factor in the contract and then age secondly. To trade a player like that with three years left (four with the franchise tag) of team control would have to bring back multiple firsts.

Breece can also be moved as much as I wouldn’t want to. But he’s also the most vocally annoyed and only two years of team control left since there’s no 5th year option. And as you said, we can find a runningback.

All this is fun to talk about but we don’t have an imaginative general manager or team owner to take a risk like this. It’s just irritating because we finally have some chess pieces to play with. Imagine taking bookend tackles in the first round and grabbing my guy Michael Pratt in the 3rd (QB, Tulane). Sign Michael Pittman and poof the offense is fixed.