Fire Joe Douglas 2023-24 Edition

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 19, 2023.

1. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

The thing that JD had no talent to work with when he took over is a myth as well. No saying great talent but avg talent. Leonard Williams,who netted good draft picks,Q Williams,Mosely,Maye, and Adams(who was flawed but 2 -1sts),R Anderson(who was Sams favorite receiver)letting him walk,Barrios,Enunwa,Crowder Darnold, ,and a bunch of average o-line man that most played elsewhere.. Two of the best players on defense were here when JD took over At least our starting qb was on the roster when JD took over

papapump, stinkyB and BacktoQueens like this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

3. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

So was I. Tell him to get in shape.

stinkyB likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm all for firing Douglas, but then what? Do you trust Woody to hire anyone better? Even if there are people here who know of someone who would do a better job, do you really believe Woody would hire them? I realize that's not much of a reason to keep Douglas, but he does have 5 years experience now.

And I am NOT defending him, or arguing against firing him today, but again, then what? I've lived through more than a few "Anything has to be better..." tear downs, and guess what? Almost none of them were. But far be it from me to stand in front of the pitchfork and tar & feather mob to defend him.

But as for Saleh? He needs to go TODAY! There is nothing else to see or know about him. He's been in over his head since he got here, and hos no clue how to build an offensive team. Fire. Hi. Now.

teamgreen likes this.
  5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The craziest thing about this is that we are a clear level below the other worst teams. It's not like we've been roughly as bad as them and just happen to be the worst, we are in our own tier of suck.

Ralebird and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

but, but, but... d-line was BPA and the Jets lead the NFL in 1st quarter safeties!

REVISion likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think it is funny and pathetic that the 49ers, the team Saleh is emulating, has the absolute polar opposite of results.

REVISion likes this.
  8. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

The dolphins had at least 4 of their starting o-line man out,T-Hill out, both starting safeties,all-pro cb, starting lb, and a very good de out. A team very ripe for the picking They beat us everywhere. How our defense could not dominate against a team 4 missing o-line man. To think as well ,the front office is going to have to do crazy attempts at upgrades for A-rods last hurrah, hurting our future even more. I think we head into 25 with 35 million dead money already if a-rod retires after next yr. I think Zack gave up,he did not want to be out there. I think it revisits that he did not want to return as the starter.

9. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think the front office and coaching staff will get their year with Rodgers at the helm. It will be their last ditch effort to save their jobs. If the year falls apart, its a clean break at the end of the year. If Rodgers wants out, the Jets will oblige one way or another.

I've been at least a moderate supporter of JD over the years. I appreciate that he has brought in some very good players, and has utilized UDFA pretty well. I certainly prefer him to his predecessors.

Having said all that, at the end of the day, you are what your record says you are. His record is atrocious, and his managing of the offensive line and QB have been among the worst in football.

I imagine he'll make an effort to blame it on Saleh and get another swing at the HC, but I doubt that will happen. Jets will probably looking at a completely clean house in 2025.

WoodyHarrelson and westiedog1 like this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Not to worry, JD will promise again in the offseason he will protect the QB and all will be better.

JD has to go. If Woody doesn't hire someone better, than so be it. But I have seen enough of QBs ruined, get hurt, and not even able to function because the guy cannot build a line in 5 years. At least an attempt to improve needs to be made. JD cannot stay any longer. Time is up.

11. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

It's deflating to know that after 5 years, this team has no offensive vision, and or identity.

If next year does not work out, we're looking at a possible Rodgers retirement, with a potential blowup. Which is an extremely sad state of affairs for this organization.

The more I watch this team, the more I think with Rodgers, there was a strong chance of missing the playoffs.

All of these Joe D's great draft picks, might not potentially even be here when we rebuild. You're already seeing signs of Garrett Wilson's frustration.

Players can only take so much of a "losing culture" And that is why I think you need to make a change, to show those players that you hold others accountable just like they are held accountable on the field.

Even if the Jets make the playoffs next year- Success? I'd say yes. However, I can see how others won't be satisfied unless there is a Superbowl appearance. A playoff appearance in 5 years is an improvement, but consistent playoff berths/Championships are the true goals (Ravens, 49ers)

Even after a potentially good year with AR next year, I would not be that trusting it can happen again in 2025, with Rodgers another year older. There are still going to be many long-term questions.

After 5 years, a GM should bring stability to an organization with an off year here and there to be expected.

We're far from stable.

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Who knows if Woody can do better than Douglas? The bar is very low, but this is Woody after all. That said, there's zero chance Douglas can find a better coach than Saleh (who to be clear I think is mediocre) willing to take the job with him as GM. Either you keep both and try again with Rodgers in 2024, or you fire both. No half measures.

papapump, Cman68, Borat and 1 other person like this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The chart is the last 17 games, 14 of which are not a 49ers-based offense.

REVISion, abyzmul and stinkyB like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think the scary part about running Douglas back this offseason is his complete stubbornness about some of his own moves. Obviously the offensive line comes to mind (Becton, Duane Brown obviously), but also how he thought we had an adequate receiving corps behind Garrett Wilson.

There’s also a complete over emphasis on the defensive line and it’s not just about the Will McDonald pick. Every offseason we’re hunting through free agency for depth defensive tackles (Rankins, Vinny Curry, Quinton Jefferson, Al Woods, Solomon Thomas) rather than hunting for good backup offensive lineman or receivers (re-signed McGovern and signed Wes Schweitzer).

papapump, Cman68, dawinner127 and 4 others like this.
  15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

So, do you propose to wait until Douglas has gone ten years without a winning season? Fifteen? At what point do you finally succumb to reality?

Cman68 likes this.
  16. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

Vera-Tucker and Becton are pretty much busts at this point, in my opinion.

Losmeister likes this.
  17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

At this point, perhaps a different approach is called for. How about this: Mangini for VP of Football Ops. Someone other than Woody needs to be making the strategic decisions now. Douglas and Saleh both need to go for the sake of changing the culture and karma around this team.

18. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Agreed. Sad to say. But you are what we see and we haven’t seen anything here. Mekhi probably goes this year. They didn’t even pick up his fifth year. Bottom line, you cannot miss on a LT and QB is back to back drafts. JD is gone.

papapump and Flyboy like this.
  19. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

monumental fail by the GM

he may as well shit his pants in pub;ic

dawinner127 likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Please clean house. It is time

papapump and Flyboy like this.