Fire Joe Douglas 2023-24 Edition

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 19, 2023.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The LaFleur thing really fucking miffs me. Especially with how many people around here were practically chanting for him to be fired in the name of him being bad for Zach Wilson.

2. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

I don't see how you can blame Saleh, when the entire offense was constructed based around
    Stop it. Defensive HC wins just as much as Offensive. The issue is we don't have a NFL QB on the roster. This is squarely JD's fault. Belichick suddenly is a terrible HC because there's no Brady right?

Everyone is so emotional. It's simple. We don't have a NFL QB on the roster.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I really would like some solid info on exactly what was going in Florham Park during the off season.... the mindset and the timeline of events.

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

A quick note from last nights game. Here are what players from their 2021 draft class did:

Waddle - 113 yards receiving
    Phillips - 1 sack and 2 TFLs
    Holland - 98 yard int return
    Eichenberg - no sacks, no pressures, 165 yards on the ground.

The only player we had playing from that draft was our backup nickleback. He did get a gift pick 6, but still, it shows the drafting inequalities.

5. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

They didn't. You don't even need the absolute proof of that he keeps harping on about in his heavily pro-Rodgers defense take there either. Which to side note *he* wouldn't coincidentally have there either if one wanted to alternatively steer away from the Rodgers' fanboy takes, and pin a lot of last offseason's mishaps in particular on both Woody and Rodgers shoving much of what played out this winter down JD's throat with JD himself having no real final say in fair amount of it.

We do have common sense to default back to there. Starting with just how utterly absurd the whole literal troll idea is in reality that JD was somehow sitting around week 18'ish of last year formulating this offseason approach plan - "Gee we really need to bring in a new offensive mind to help fix these ongoing failures. Wait, I got it! Let's go out and grab that mid season fire guy fresh off one of worst offensive coaching disasters in NFL history. I mean the coaching there was arguably even worse then our's so naturally....THAT MAKES PERFECT SENSE! Yeah THAT is my guy!".

Or with the idea that you could literally find a single other soul who was making that serious possibility argument *before* the Aaron Rodgers to the Jets talk, that we all knew was a extremely likely probability from early on given GB had already pubically stated their plan to move on, started up.

#185 Kronoking, Nov 25, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2023
    JohnnyJet likes this.
  6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm not saying there aren't successful defensive head coaches, there are. But the best thing you can have at HC is a good offensive one. It brings a level of stability and success to the most important side of the ball. It makes drafting and acquiring QBs easier. It makes consistently producing a good offense easier.

JohnnyJet, BrooklynJetsFan and ouchy like this.
  7. Kronoking

What is this evidence you speak of that proves OBJ would of even have wanted to play here over playing in Baltimore?

Or even taking things to a speculative front, why should anybody outside a NYJ fanboy even buy into that suggested reality? The Ravens were/are one of the most well run and coached teams in the NFL. Who were in the process of doubling down on their well established perennial contender status by locking up their 26 year old franchise QB. The Jets were/are arguably the worst run and (at least on offense) coached franchise in the NFL. Who outside the media grasping at the content goldmine were throwing up what essentially amounted to a hail mary idea that $50m/per 40yo QB not named Tom Brady, coming off off a sharp decline year while playing behind a much better o'line then he was ever realistically going to see in year one here after the Jets got done paying out on all his acquisition costs/conditions, was going to lead the 2-8 second half 2022 Jets team to the SB.

OBJ isn't some delusional fan making a casually thought out choice there. 2023 was a make good year for him to hopefully parlay that belief in himself that he's still elite into a much bigger and longer contract. At $15m for 1 year he wasn't making that career bet to come here over there and to play the clear role of Robin no less.

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...opportunity-to-match-ravens-offer-per-report/

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You'll get that when some disgruntled player or ex-coach finally gets frustrated enough to spill the beans about the whole situation. Of course then they'll be blamed by the homers for being incompetent whiners.

10. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Agreed and history proves this to be correct.

11. Kronoking

I already knew OBJ made a fairly standard FA market play using us to play against the Raven's offer. That isn't what i asked you. All you got there is an implication the Jets would of had to and at the very least invest an additional $18m of their roster budget on top of Lazard's already chunky 2 year guarantee at WR to bring in OBJ.Within a tweet where even Hughes himself there goes on to hit on the underlying common sense factor in play that OBJ was going to see Baltimore as much better fit for himself.

You keep throwing around surface level claims of "evidence" that don't actually pass the smell test. Same goes for counter claiming conspiracy theories out of the fact you seemingly can't understand or make any financial math logic sense out of why we still might have not have just simply signed BOTH Lazard and OBJ even had Rodgers ideally wanted both.

12. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

You say that like it isn’t anybody’s fault and excuses everything that has happened. When Rodgers went down, the vast majority of Jets fans knew we no longer had an NFL quality quarterback on the roster. That is on JD, as is our total failure to bring in a viable option.

JohnnyJet, HomeoftheJets and SOJAZ like this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You are making very little sense yourself. I have proven to you OBJ wanted to come here and Rodgers wanted him. Yet he is not here. His CAP hit this season is 4 mil. There was a very easy way to make it work. If you don't understand how, I can explain, but you seem to want a confrontation rather than follow logic and maybe even learn something. Davis could have been cut, this was even before Dalvin came into picture. It was very easy to do. So, logically, if Rodgers mandated his buddies, and JD was his puppet, OBJ would be here.

So, whether you like it or not, there is at least SOME evidence he didn't mandate it. I have seen no evidence at all that he mandated all these guys. So, show it or we can move on. Short of that JD is the GM and he is the one ultimately responsible for these signings, not Rodgers.

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Douglas just has to go ..simply put he will be winding up at draft and FA to make more awful decisions

Woody of course has no clue about pro football thats a given

JohnnyJet, SOJAZ and Borat like this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

not really. he cleared up some room but was bringing in people for gase. JD has said it's his job to give the coaching staff what they want. Mims was a gase pick. Breece was a MLF pick.
    do you get paid by the dolphins to throw shade at the jets and rile up angry fans? see how dumb of a comment that is

16. GasedAndConfused

No I look at the overall roster turnover, drafts, and decisions and way of doing business. Both the offense and defense were ass with no talent when he took over. he fixed the D into a championship unit. he still has work to do on the offense obviously but a big part of the lack of success this season is injuries to rodgers and the o-line and can't blame a GM for injuries. sometimes you have bad luck. the result =/= the effort. going all in with a 98% chance to win in poker is still the right move even if the other person makes the wrong move and gets lucky on the river.

17. GasedAndConfused

phillips also blew his achillies out so won't be helping from here on out.

18. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

How do you defend drafting Will Mcdonald after 4 years of this offense? I really think Will is going to be a good player- but he wasn't the player needed this year.

Honest question- I hate to throw out what-if scenarios, but you need to start looking into the future vision of this team.

Douglas gets another year(Which he unfortunately will) and the line is bad again(Injuries again+Poor Play) The theme of the Douglas tenure. Rodgers gets hurt in week 7/8 because of the poor offensive line(Some fans thought Rodgers would get hurt this year because of his age, but obviously not as quickly as it happened) The Jets are in the same place as they are today.

What do you do? You chalk it up again, and give Douglas another year? We keep blaming unfortunate injuries. When is enough/enough in your eyes? The Jets are close to going full collapse and entering another full rebuild in 2025. This is what you risk when you give Joe D another year. Do you think Garrett/Sauce/Breece will stick around in this scenario? There is almost a guarntee of a personnel fallout.

You can pair Rodgers up with a competent GM In 2024, and win. A new GM does not mean we won't be competitive.

Borat likes this.
  19. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Douglas should have been fired by now.

Drafting Will McDonald is awful, just awful.

Im concerned if next year goes bad..Sauce, G Wilson, etc will ask to be traded.

Borat likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

I'm the one who looks to the future which is why mcdonald made sense.
    at the time the WR group was GW, CD, Lazard, Hardman, Cobb. on paper that looked good. and GW and lazard were pinned in for multiple years. the other thing too is we just got rodgers who isn't a fan of rookie WRs and hated last year with all young WRs outside lazard to throw to. we went into a 2 year win now window so that was the goal. on the d-line, Huff is an impending FA as is lawson. meaning that going into the draft the 2024 edge rotation is just JFM, JJ, and huff. I get we had bigger needs but the niners had bigger needs when they took bosa. including DT and Q was there. bosa was their 3rd 1st round lineman in 3 years taken.

Obviously in hindsight with CD retiring, and the o-line all getting hurt right now a WR or lineman would have been more useful this season. we can't really say next season though. GMs are always looking ahead. it's a good OT draft in 2024 and a good OT FA class in 2024. JD was probably thinking it's easier to get an OT next year then an edge. not to mention jones wasn't available. he did take a swing with warren in the 4th and we'll see how that goes. he also drafted CMGs replacement in the 2nd. it's not like he's ignored the line. Becton, AVT were 1st rounders. tippman a 2nd rounder, mitchell and warren were 4th rounders. we also drafted another that never played due to some injury thing. I can't remember his name. thats all in a span of 4 drafts. he's signed fant, brown, moses, CMG, tomlinson, schwietzer, LDT to name a few as well in 4 offseasons.

I don't think it's fair to judge unless the line is mostly healthy. you expect to lose players here and there but we were down to 1 starter, OTs 4 and 5, OC2,, and RG5. our RGs are a PS guy and a guy we signed off his couch currently. CMG, AVT, Schwietzer, and turner all went down. (I know turner is bad but still) that is rough to survive.

The reality is this whole regime is coming back in 2024. after that who knows? alot will depend on 2024. If we aren't successful i'd be fine with a little house cleaning but i'd like to keep JD and ulbrich. The issue with ulbrich though is if saleh goes, so does he. no new coach coming in will want a DC pushed on them. The players will stick around if the offense is fixed. we have control of them for 3+ more years

Jets79 likes this.