Fire Joe Douglas 2023-24 Edition

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 19, 2023.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Not for trading for Rodgers and having Rodgers get hurt (even though the awful, injury-prone OL is on Douglas). Not even for drafting Zach with the 2nd overall pick. There's enough talent on the defense and special teams (plus GW and Breece) for him to survive a QB bust. But for the sheer unbridled arrogance to refuse to admit his mistake and go out and get a new QB when Rodgers went down to at least give Zach legitimate competition. If he'd done that, even with the holes on offense and Hackett's bad coaching, we could have had a new starter by the Patriots game and could be 6-4 right now (wins over the Pats and Raiders) instead of 4-6.

Tbh as long as Rodgers is coming back, it's probably the best course of action to keep Douglas and Saleh so if we fire them after 2024, the new GM has a clean slate. But Douglas deserves to have a Fire Joe Douglas thread at the top of at least one of the two Jets message boards, so here it is.

2. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

If Simien gets the nod next week, it'll prove he was stashed in the PS to avoid a QB controversy.

If this happens I will be in the clean house band wagon. Shockingly I'm not there yet.

Saleh can go, he's a JAG at best.

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Look, no one is going anywhere until after next season. Maybe mid season if Rodgers goes down and we have no answers again. But top to bottom this FO and CS have been atrocious.

4. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

F Rogers at this point. Simeon body is going wether it’s Hackett, JD or Saleh for all I care.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The Jets record under Joe Douglas speaks for itself. There is no merit-based argument for why he shouldn’t be fired. He built this terrible offense.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Sad truths are still truths.

JohnnyJet and nevbeats319 like this.
  7. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Yup. I love Joe Douglas but he deserves to be fired for this arrogance. Or stupidity. I’m not sure which one it is or which is worse.

tomdeb and JetBlue like this.
  8. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

If I cared anymore, I'd say fire them all. Douglas, Saleh, Hackett, Rodgers, all of them. But, I'm not sure that I really can muster up the energy to care anymore about this nonsense.

9. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Rodgers coming back means this clown comes back.

Cman68 and REVISion like this.
  10. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Arguably the worst coaching and GM combo ever, and that's saying a lot, considering this is the Jets, the record says it all

11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

He didn't have to cut Zach but keeping Mike White might have saved his job.

Too many bad decisions for JD to ruin another off season.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Can you imagine being a salesman and missing their quota 5 years in a row? Not even missing it but missing it by like a million dollars?

Cman68, James Hasty, JetBlue and 3 others like this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

But what if your Boss was an idiot?

14. jets_fan

He's gotten a pass because the fanbase has been and remains desperate and he was able to sell them (us) the illusion of progress. But it was all a house of cards at best. By now, this far into his tenure, when other teams (i.e. the Texans) are able to turn it around from one year to the next, his inability to field even a high-school level offense shows how incompetent he is. There has been no progress. He was able to scapegoat Gase into an extra year or two of job security, but outside of that one draft, he's been awful. Period.

They need to clean house. Rodgers can stick around and QB the team next year if he wants, but it needs to be under a different coaching staff and a new GM. Another effing season where it's over before Thanksgiving. FFS.

15. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Please Woody, fire them both. This isn't an overeaction either. 24-52 as GM and 15-29 as HC.

What is the argument in keeping JD?

Oh he drafted Sauce, GW, JJ, and Breece. Ok? The team still sucks, and the offense isn't much better than it was when he became GM in 2019. One can argue it's worse.

16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Feel like I'm beating a dead horse here but rebuilds don't take this long in the NFL. Douglas failed the rebuild and hoped Aaron Rodgers would cover it up.

Our entire franchise's philosophy needs to change. No more spending massive amounts of draft and FA capital on the trenches. It's an antiquated way of thinking. You win by stockpiling playmakers on offense and getting them the ball quickly via creative plays designed by a smart, offensive-minded HC. If you do that, you don't even need that good of an OL because the ball is getting out quickly enough where the protection is largely irrelevant. Quick passes also don't require a great QB, just one that can distribute quickly and effectively.

We've done well to create a good passing defense, that's important too. But it's not nearly as important as a good passing offense, and we have the worst one of those in many years. This trenches/defensive philosophy exists deep within both our HC and GM. They need to go. They do not think about how to achieve success in the modern game the correct way.

17. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

We doubled down on Wilson and it cost them their jobs

HomeoftheJets and JetDan like this.
  18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

That's the straw that broke the camel's back, but the problems run much deeper than that. Their philosophy about how to win is completely backwards. I don't understand how you can work in the NFL as long as they have and not realize that offense is how you win. Defense separates you from the other good offenses after that, but you absolutely must have a good offense to win.

WoodyHarrelson and HomeoftheJets like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’s pretty sad. Usually this board lights up after a Jets game. Not a lot of posts tonight which means pretty much everyone expected to get absolutelysmacked today. Hopefully the Jets fan can rally and boycott around this trash product.

jjt4201, Jets79, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  20. jets_fan

Can only speak for myself, obviously, but even though I was expecting the loss, this one managed to just completely drain me. I thought the defense would show up, since we've seemed to have Buffalo's number, at least on that side of the ball, for a couple of years now. This is the first time in a while now that I find myself not really caring all that much after a game and truly wondering if I'm even going to bother tuning in on Friday. There just seems like there might just be better things to do on a Friday afternoon than watch more of this shit.