Finally! A way to reliably predict QB success.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ColoradoContrails, Apr 26, 2023.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Mods: I'm putting this in the Draft Thread, but you might want to move it to the main thread for the draft tomorrow.

Teams have historically struggled in evaluating all college players, but especially QBs. Because of the different conferences and levels of competition, as well as systems and surrounding talent, it's virtually impossible to find any common ground to compare them to each other, let alone predict how they might do in the pros. What has been lacking is a way to measure and test cognitive ability and processing speed. That's the one common denominator that can be used if it can be measured accurately. They've finally found a way to do that:

The S2 Cognitive Test.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/what-is-the-s2-cognitive-test/

In essence, it's a series of reaction "games" or exercises played on a gaming computer that presents the player with "chaotic" situations and they need to make the right choice. Players who score high on this are almost assured of success in the NFL, if not immediately then pretty quickly, depending on the quality of coaching and surrounding talent.

For reference, Joe Burrows scored in the 98th percentile. You know who else scored in that range? Mr. Irrelevant, Brock Purdy! So, even more than physical measurements, or Wonderlic score (which is almost useless), the S2 is the highest predictor of success.

I tried to find out if Zach Wilson did this test and what his score was but I didn't find anything. I'd love to know that.

Anyway, I thought with the draft happening, you guys might be interested in this.

EDIT: I found this article that's specific to this year's QB class:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ryce-young-highest-for-qbs-c-j-stroud-lowest/

#1 ColoradoContrails, Apr 26, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

Strong "Mission Accomplished" vibes

3. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Whoever is leaking these kids’ scores should be banned from working in the NFL forever. And then fed to pigs. It’s not fucking fair. I admit it - I like the drama of knowing. Plus, I’m thinking a guy like CJ Stroud will still get picked at the top of Round 1 and somehow survive rumors that he’s stoopid. Doesn’t make it right.

4. egbert souse

egbert souse Member

5. egbert souse

egbert souse Member

"Players who score high on this are almost assured of success in the NFL ...."
    No. Just no. That is all I have to say. No.

6. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

I thought the answer was don’t have the Jets draft them. :rolleyes:

7. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

It's more like if they score poorly they won't make it. From what I read you want a score of at least 80. I've seen online rumors that Zach scored an 86-88, if true there still may be some hope for him. I also read that Stroud scored very poorly, Richardson scored a 79 (putting him right at the borderline), Levis and Young scored in the 90s. This is likely why you are seeing Stroud fall on draft boards and Levis rise.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Jump scares are the key to success! Who knew?

The herd mentality in the NFL is so strong that it allows exceptional people who actually know what they are doing to prosper for decades, like the Pats with Belli/Brady, the Packers and the Steelers. Maybe Reid/Mahomes will join the bunch if they dodge the bullet that is that contract.

9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You gotta starve the pigs for a few days.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That doesn't work. They just eat each other before you get a chance to use their gustatory abilities.

11. Sundayjack

Plus the teeth. Don’t forget the teeth. Piggy digestion, and so forth.

12. Sundayjack

Are you outta your mind?! You starve a pig for a few days and a chopped up NFL exec will look curry to a pisshead.

C’mon man.

Dierking and Br4d like this.