Final Jets 7 rounder + 2 NFL Rounds

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BakerMaker, May 5, 2014.

1. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

1) HOU- DE JaDaveon Clowney
    - Best player available. Point blank, he's has the ceiling to be a once in a decade talent that I don't think Houston wants to pass up on.

2) STL- QB Johnny Manziel
    - Rumblings about Manziel to Rams have been coming as of late. Might be a smokescreen but there's no doubt the QB need is real. I think the Rams pounce on Manziel if he's somehow there by pick 13 but I don't think they risk it. This will open the way for trade talks with Sam Bradford, as he gets dealt by Friday morning/afternoon.

3) JAX- DE Khalil Mack
    - Jacksonville will gladly snatch up Mack who they thought would be the 2nd overall pick. They signed Henne long term, they can get a QB later on. Mack is the perfect fit for Gus Bradley and co.

4) CLE- WR Sammy Watkins
    - Watkins and Gordon offer up a sick dynamic 1-2 punch. Lone QB I think Cleveland would have wanted was Johnny Football but alas. Browns will be hunting for a QB by pick 26 or maybe in round 2.

5) BUF(From OAK)- OT Jake Matthews
    - 1st trade of the evening gets the Bills their franchise left tackle for years to come and allows Reggie McKenzie to splurge 1-2 more draft picks in the process, as his trade with Miami last draft showed. With Atlanta's interest in Matthews and possible trade up suitors in St. Louis(11 picks at the moment after Johnny Manziel, maybe more if Bradford's dealt) and NY Giants, Buffalo doesn't mess around here.

6) ATL- OT Greg Robinson
    - Best player available....big need....sounds good to Atlanta. Atlanta will take its time and see if people wanna get Robinson for themselves but if not, he's their LT for years to come.

7) TEN(From TB)- QB Blake Bortles
    - 2nd trade of the night will be a big one as Ken Whisenhunt gets himself another crack of getting his own QB for years to come down in Tenn. Locker's option was not picked up and the team hasn't really committed themselves to him, Bortles offers up a big time NFL made body and arm that the Titans want to build around. Cost isn't much, just a 3rd and maybe another pick which TB will dig after the Revis debacle but for the Titans, you got your franchise QB and pissed off plenty of Vikings fans in the process too.

8) MIN- DT Aaron Donald
    - Well Bortles almost got the Vikings. They could go Carr but the recent rumors have the Vikings really hot after a front 7 impact player, which Donald provides. He's a hot commodity and its not a shock if he's a top 10 pick come Thursday. The Geno Atkins comparisons has to have the man who coached Atkins all this time very hot in Zimmer. Sucks to be Shariff Floyd but new regime, new defensive mindset. Need a big year out of him for his sake.

9) OAK(From BUF)- WR Mike Evans
    - Oakland might want Evans at 5 so a trade down for the man to get picks AND still get their no.1 WR is money to McKenzie's ears. Can't teach size so despite this being a deep WR class, Evans is way too good to be passed up on. Hopefully Dee Milliner or somebody from this draft get ready and take Evans out Week 1. Schaub will be going early and often to the big fella.

10) DET- S Haha Clinton-Dix
    - Might be a big shocker but Clinton-Dix offers up such well above talent for a safety that this is the type of guy Detroit is begging for. Good leader, good locker room guy by plenty accounts, he offers up a much needed presence in that secondary. Detroit envisions Haha as a fellow Bama safety(Mark Barron)'s type of impact for them.

11) TB(From TEN)- TE Eric Ebron
    - I like pegging Ebron to the Bucs but its tough to justify at pick 7....but in a trade down to say 11? Absolutely. They'd love to have Donald fall a bit here but Minnesota pounced on him. Ebron offers McCown/Glennon a big time athletic freak of a TE that pits him and V. Jackson as near impossible covers, especially in the red zone.

12) NYG- OT Zack Martin
    - Safe pick and a great character guy is the reason he's above Lewan. Giants do not mess around with character. Martin's versatility reminds them of Pugh, who they got round 1 and thus far worked out quite nicely for them.

13) STL- OT Taylor Lewan
    - Unlike the GMen, the Rams absolutely embrace chippy play as that's Jeff Fisher's MO, dating back to his days with the Titans. Fisher doesn't let a mistake off the field affect his view of talent as Jenkins, Ogletree and Pac Man Jones can attest to. Lewan is a shot for a team craving for OLine help and long term, will form an All Wolverine tackle duo of Lewan/Long.

14) NO(From CHI)- WR Odell Beckham Jr
    3rd trade....and this one is a big jump and keeps Beckham Jr in the state of Louisiana. Can totally see Beckham Jr be such a favorite to Sean Payton that he pleads to Loomis to get the deal done. Jumping up to 14 will be what it takes to acquire the LSU standout and giving Brees Beckham Jr is scary for opposing D's. Hopefully by the next time we travel and play the Saints, Brees is on the back end of his career. Bears maybe outside of Pryor, don't have a must have player here so trading down and getting 2 or so picks sounds good for them.

15) PIT- CB Darqueze Dennard
    - Dennard might not be THE best cornerback available but he has a squeeky clean record and plays such a physical style that LeBeau loves that he's a big pick at 15 for the Steel City. The Steelers have not hid their love for Dennard, constantly chatting it up with him on multiple accounts. Same went for Jarvis Jones. If Dennard doesn't go to Steelers here, its because he got taken before 15 or PIT trades down.

2. BakerMaker

16) DAL- S Calvin Pryor
    Best player available...hits home a big need for Jerryworld. Good enough for them, Pryor hits hard and isn't a slouch of a coverage safety.Dallas has a weird board and all but if Pryor's there, its tough to turn em down. I don't know about the WR in round 1 rumor unless OBJr is around. Too deep of a class to think of it for Lee or Cooks with so little talent on the team.

17) SF(From BAL)- WR Brandin Cooks
    And here is where the Cooks to Jets bandwagon groans mightily as Cooks because a coveted player for the 49ers to sacrifice the lesser of their 2nd round picks over to the Ravens. Ravens don't like what is available so a trade down to late round 1 while grabbing a 2nd sounds good on their end. Cooks offers tremendous speed and shifty play that can only help a playmaking WR hungry team that's so close to a SB win. They saw first hand of what a Percy Harvin esque player did on them in the playoffs and there's zero shot Cooks lasts by late round 1 to them.

18) NYJ- CB Justin Gilbert
    Well no Cooks....or Dix or Pryor or Beckham Jr or Dennard. What do the Jets do? Barr or Gilbert. Both guys offer up the best available talent but Gilbert offers up an immediate need that gets filled while Barr offers up someone to replace Pace after next year. Gilbert will give Rex and co. the vision of being a younger Cromartie....someone who may shy away from tackling but at the same time someone who can make big play INTs and has great makeup speed if ever beat. I would prefer Fuller here but Idzik has and will always be a BPA guy and Gilbert gives it and hits home a big need. Fans might not the idea of yet another 1st round corner but Gilbert/Milliner with enough patience becomes what we hope is a dynamic 1-2 punch for years to come at the position. Gilbert offers up special talent as a kick returner though I wonder if we'd want someone who will be so valuable year 1 for us in a position to increase his chances of getting hurt. That I don't know but regardless, Gilbert has the tools in place to be a really good no.1 CB with enough time.

19) MIA- ILB CJ Mosley
    Mosley could go anywhere in round 1 to maybe falling down to round 2 because of health concerns but I think Miami really would like to tag him along with Ellerbe and hope together they form a scary good inside presence. The Miami LBs could really make or break their season if you lump in Dion Jordan. Mosley offers better value then what a James or Moses would. Miami will probably try their damnest to trade up for Zack Martin or Taylor Lewan but the cost will be too much to the point that the Giants and Rams would want to get their tackles.

20) ARI- LB Ryan Shazier
    Guy who has risen out of nowhere, can offer up play as an OLB or MLB, latter of which would be big with Dansby gone to the Browns. Possible they take Carr but I think they are so close to surpassing one of the two giants of the West that they want to add to their already young and gifted defense. Arians will find his signal caller later in the draft.

21) GB- OLB Anthony Barr
    Best available talent falls to the Packers and add him to both Clay Matthews and Nick Perry as they try to improve that defense that's always bitten them in the butt when they need it most. So many opinions of Barr but I think Thompson takes the shot with him as he's usually another BPA GM who values the draft like none other.

22) PHI- WR Marquise Lee
    Chip Kelly really likes to grab players he's coached or coached against....in comes Lee who some think got screwed with poor QBs like Wittek and countless coaching changes and dinged up injuries. Eagles are so hungry and desperate for playmakers at WR with Jackson ousted and Maclin coming off a nasty injury so they are hoping Lee clicks in this high potent offense.

23) SD(From KC)- CB Kyle Fuller
    Strange bedfellows of a deal with division rivals but one the Chargers will be hellbent on fearing the Bengals will be salivating for a Kyle Fuller. Chiefs with the Alex Smith deal are down a pick so they recoup a pick, even if its a small one like a 4th and the Chargers get a hell of a cornerback that I as torn on mocking to the Jets at pick 18. Bolts quickly are building a really young and aggressive defense as they hope to build off their underdog season last year and give the Broncos a tougher fight than in the divisional round.

24) CIN- CB Jason Verrett
    Bengals stay pat....while they would have loved Fuller, they get a pretty dang good consolation prize in Verrett. Wake up call to Dre Kirkpatrick, your standing on the team is going to get challenged big time by Verrett who compensates his small size with a relentless work ethic and very chippy play.

25) KC(From SD)- FS Jimmie Ward
    Chiefs recover a 4th thanks to the 2 spot trade down, swallow their pride by helping the Bolts........and get the guy they wanted all the time at 23 in Lil' Jimmie Ward. Might be small, undersized but outside of that I don't think there's a better playmaking, ballhawking safety in this draft. Him and Berry are a very scary safety duo and adding a playmaker like Ward to an already turnover savvy squad will only help the Chiefs. They have some upcoming guards to replace both Schwartz(NYG) and Jon Asamoah(ATL) and may look to address that in round 3 or with one of their round 4 picks if anything. I would be shocked if Ward is available by day 2.

26) CLE- QB Derek Carr
    Cleveland's desperate for a Quarterback....stage is all yours Derek. Maybe he's finally the savior at the position the Browns have been looking for all this time. He's got Josh Gordon, Jordan Cameron, Ben Tate and now Sammy Watkins....add that to Joe Thomas and Alex Mack manning that OLine and you've got pieces by your side. Pretty good position. Just wonder if he can deal with the nasty weather he will be playing in that AFC North division.

27) CHI(From NO)- DT Ra’Shede Hageman
    Bears get their big man up front all along in Mr. Inconsistent. Hageman has "Awl world" talent, just wish the motor was better but add him to Jared Allen and LeMarr Houston and their DLine just figured out how to stop the run in like 2 months thanks to these acquisitions.

28) CAR- OT Ja’Wuan James
    Intriguing tackle prospect that can stand as a left tackle on the next level according to many. Took him with one of the final round 3 picks for the Panthers in our 3rder so pretty cool he's got a shot to be a late round 1 choice. Dolphins supposedly have him as a 1st round talent and I don't think they are alone. Down to James or Latimer or maybe Allen Robinson for this pick and I think the tackle gets the pick.

29) NE- NT Louis Nix III
    Sucks to see big jolly Nix going to the Pats but given Wilfork's age and health, they need a backup plan in the worst way and Nix provides it. Pretty steady, consistent motor talent in Nix who was a big part of the Irish's success in their National Title appearance. Will root for him, even as a Patriot.

30) BAL(From SF)- WR Cody Latimer
    Latimer is on the rise and has tore it up lately to warrant a late round 1 pick by someone. Baltimore traded down, get a valuable 2nd round pick in this deep of a class and Latimer can be eased in as the team's no.3. They went the well of one Indiana WR in Doss which didn't work but Latimer has much more upside than what Tandon Doss ever had.

31) DEN- OG Xavier Su’a-Filo
    The Beadles moved on from Denver to Jacksonville.....thus leaving a fair enough hole inside for the Broncos to take care of. Denver's success this year will be to keep its operating behemoth of an offense upright led by old man Manning and Su'a-Filo provides that with a high upside potential pro bowl appearing guard. Denver with its sexy moves in the offseason are in a luxury position where they can take a guard in round 1 if it provides great value, which in this case it does.

32) MIN(From SEA)- QB Teddy Bridgewater
    Minnesota makes the jump with the final trade of the day as they fear HOU/JAX/OAK would all pounce on Bridgewater before the Vikings got their shot. Seahawks are always welcoming for a trade down, in this case for 8 spots....possible that the Seahawks get back their 3rd round pick that they sacrificed for Harvin. Bridgewater who I am sure Turner and Spielman like, would go to a much needed team and be in a great spot with Peterson running the ball and Jennings/Patterson as big play WRs.

3. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Ugh, I would hate the Gilbert pick. Don't really like him, and I see him as an Antonio Cromartie clone.

Would much rather pick Anthony Barr if it came down between those two. We could pick a better CB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

4. BakerMaker

Friday Afternoon Trade:
    Houston acquires QB Sam Bradford from Rams for 2014 4th and 5th round picks
    (With Johnny Football in St. Louis and figuring to start right away and with Shaun Hill as a capable backup, Bradford and his injury proneness is not needed in St. Louis....Houston on the other hand, would be welcoming to Bradford as O'Brien feels he could fix Bradford right up and salvage Bradford up at only the cost of two day 2 picks. Works for both teams.)

ROUND 2(Some picks have commentary):

33) HOU- OT Morgan Moses

34) WSH- OT/OG/C Joel Bitonio

35) CLE- CB Bradley Roby
    Sorry WW85 but Roby's going to be on your TV every week for at least the next few years more.

36) OAK- DE/OLB Kony Ealy

37) ATL- DE/OLB Dee Ford

38) TB- WR Jordan Matthews
    The one thing the cousin of Jerry Rice doesn't want to catch is the MRSA infection that haunted Tampa Bay.

39) JAX- QB Jimmy Garoppolo
    Yeah you're playing in Jacksonville but hey....you've got a shot to start in the National Football League. Just be careful driving around with Justin Blackmon.

40) SEA(From MIN)- DE/OLB Demarcus Lawrence

41) STL(From BUF)- CB/S LaMarcus Joyner

42) DAL(From TEN)- DT Timmy Jernigan
    Jerry Jones middle finger to the Giants who are praying Timmy falls a bit further to them. Jerryworld takes pride on making the Giants mad and will do so in this minor trade up.

43) NYG- TE Troy Niklas
    He blocks well....that's a must for if not, you get the dreaded Eli "Deer in the Headlights" look thrown at you. That or Tom Coughlin goes batshit crazy at you on the sidelines.

44) BUF(From STL)- TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins
    Buffalo took on Mike Williams and his legal issues.....what does ASJ have to match that? Nothing, that's right.

45) DET- OLB Kyle Van Noy

46) PIT- WR Kelvin Benjamin
    Rockinz dream ride of Benjamin to the Jets falls just shy here. You want a big, tall Receiver Pitt? Here ya go. Lets hope it isn't Limas Sweed 2.0, for your sake.

47) TEN(From DAL)- DE/OLB Jeremiah Attaochu

48) BAL- OT Cyrus Kouandijo

49) NYJ- TE Jace Amaro
    Explanation below

50) MIA- OG Gabe Jackson
    Miami needs all the help in the world with that OLine of theirs....while they'd prefer a tackle, they'll take a guard. I don't know if they wanna go the Stanford route again which is why they take Jackson over Yankey, as silly as that sounds.

51) CHI- ILB Chris Borland

52) ARI- C Marcus Martin
    I believe the last man standing in the green room...get your hat on young man.

53) GB- C Weston Richburg

54) PHI- DE Scott Crichton

55) CIN- QB Zach Mettenberger
    Andy Dalton wants 17 MILLION A YEAR? HAH. Win a playoff game buddy before you demand that. Bengals take a guy coming off a torn ACL but someone who will be on that playbook like a baby's pacifier and be ready by year 2 at least.

56) SF- CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste

57) SD- DE/OLB Trent Murphy

58) CHI(Via NO)- S Deone Bucannon
    Chicago Cubs wish they had a hitter/slugger like this in their lineup.

59) IND- G David Yankey
    About those times I protected you to get you that big amount of money Andrew in your draft class......

60) CAR- WR Allen Robinson

61) BAL(From SF)- S Terrence Brooks

62) NE- TE CJ Fiedorowicz
    Belichick has a funky lil draft board and he has an unhealthy fetish for any of his college buddies's players. Greg Schiano's Scarlet Knights, Urban Meyer's Gators/Buckeyes and Kirk Ferentz's Hawkeyes. CJ's a former Hawkeye and the Pats could use Tight End help, especially one who excels in blocking. There ya go. The Polish duo of Gronkowski and Fiedorowicz will piss us off for years to come. Run of TEs in round 2 ends with the last remaining worthy of day 2 one.

63) DEN- CB Keith McGill

64) SEA- WR Davante Adams

5. BakerMaker

2014 JETS DRAFT PICKS:

RD 1 Pick 18
    CB Justin Gilbert Oklahoma St.

Explanation above

RD 2 Pick 49
    TE Jace Amaro, Texas Tech

We've been heavily interested and he offers up great value. With both ASJ and Niklas gone, no doubt Amaro is the best of his position at that point and if he's used correctly, he becomes a very tough guard for teams since he's very fluid and has good burst and isn't afraid to catch down the middle. Still developing as a blocker but by some reports, has gotten better at it.

*Jets trade pick 80(3rd rounder) and pick 115(Jets own 4th rounder) to TB for pick 69(3rd rounder) and pick 221(7th rounder)*
    I would be shocked if we didn't do a trade up somewhere in this draft though this trade still would keep the team at 12 picks. I just don't know if we will have enough room to keep 12 rookies which is why I am fine with a trade up for a desired player as long as it isn't costly. In this case, its just moving up 11 spots for arguably one of the best remaining players.

RD 3 Pick 69
    WR Jarvis Landry, LSU

I think purely because of this draft class that someone like Landry will fall to early round 3. No later though, especially with a WR hungry team like the Jags staring Landry in the face which is why we make a move 11 spots up with a team we got a 4th round pick from last year in TB. Give up our original 4th round pick and secure the guy who may have the best hands of this class. Not the fastest guy of this class by any means but with him and Kerley together, they offer up constant 1st down making potential. Has drawn comparisons to an Anquan Boldin type of a player.

RD 4 Pick 104
    S Craig Loston, LSU

Someone who was once a 2nd round talent I believe is falling to Day 3 because of a health concern. However, a very versatile safety who can be a good free safety but an even better strong safety because of his run stopping prowess. Pretty well rounded safety and someone to jump on with an early day 3 pick.

1 year of Revis for Richardson and Loston sounds great to me....

RD 4 Pick 137
    DE/OLB Trevor Reilly, Utah

Might go a bit higher than late round 4 but being he's a 26 year old and is a fit for only a certain amount of teams, this is why he can be had with the 4th round comp. pick. Right away can be a situational pass rusher with only room to improve. Good run container, just needs to get stronger pretty much though.

RD 5
    ILB Yawin, Smallwood, UConn

Probably needs to get a bit stronger and bigger as he can stand to improve on his run tackling and stopping but a very good and fast pass coverage LB, which year 1 will spell David Harris on 3rd downs. Might find a niche as a pure backup ILB moving forward but I like his upside enough to use a mid 5th round pick on him.

RD 6
    FS Jonathan Dowling, Western Kentucky

One of the prospects who I have read quite a bit about thanks to this 2 week delay of the draft. Saw the red flag be of character issue for Dowling and I thought "Marijuana?" "DUI?" "Gun possession?" and I saw he skipped classes and had verbal disagreements with Meyer's DB's coach when he was a freshman. Nowhere near as bad as I thought as I think Idzik puts a strong point of emphasis on character so he could not be ruled out. Saw some footage of him for Western Kentucky, where he transferred and I really like what he brings as a safety as far as protection goes. Really good playmaking ability, good feel of the game as far as protection goes, often baited QBs(Though its mid major competition). His stopping the run is a concern but in round 6, he might be a pure backup to Landry or Loston year 1 which is why I don't have a problem with him here. Over-pursues often but that's very coachable.

I am of the belief that of these 12 picks, we should jump and get 2 safeties.

RD 6
    WR Jalen Saunders, Oklahoma

Name of his game is being a return man...in particular, he was a very good punt returner in Oklahoma so Jacoby Ford who has a numerous amount of health history will be pushed and may lose to Saunders. Should be an important special team player, not sure if he has the build or body to be a worthwhile WR....at least in year 1. Potential gadget player. Might get taken before round 6 but this is a deep WR class which may be the reason he drops, especially if there's concerns of his durability in the pro level.

RD 6
    OT James Hurst, North Carolina

Reason he falls here is purely because of health. Otherwise, this guy is a round 4 or 5 prospect. Will challenge Aboushi for the no.1 ideal backup tackle position.

RD 6
    G Chris Watt, Notre Dame

For some apparent reason, some sites have him available late in round 6. Why I have no idea and its tough to think he'd last this long but we can't complain if he can be had with one of our comp picks in round 6. At the very least offers up a worthwhile backup gig if Campbell isn't ready if Colon gets hurt or if Winters doesn't click year 2. Always been a fan of Watt every time I watched the Irish play, good run opener. Don't know about the pass protection on the NFL level but he's being drafted as a project lineman who if called year 1 is due to an emergency.

RD 7
    TE Marcel Jensen, Fresno St

Might be one dimensional but he's a very good run opener and will battle Zach Sudfeld for the 3rd TE spot on the team. Over time, hopefully Amaro gets better and better as a blocker but Jensen is a good have for a ground and pound team, especially this late. Might get drafted before round 7 and might cost us one of our Round 6 comp. spots but he's someone to look for if we take another TE in the draft.

RD 7
    P Tom Hornsey, Memphis

Can't imagine punters will be a hot commodity in this draft so we get ourselves the 2nd best one in the draft. When you are a defensive minded team and have some ground and pound tendencies, its important to win the field position battle which is where having a reliable punter comes in handy.

6. BakerMaker

Now vent away boys on what I figure might be a unpopular mock but I tried to go with a pretty realistic mock. I know NCJetsFan is gonna have fun with the Gilbert/Amaro picks LOL.

7. BakerMaker

Cromartie was a really good cornerback for the Jets outside of 2013 and that was due to an injury...I do hate Gilbert's reluctance as a run tackler but outside of that, he's a really gifted corner and offers up great value by pick 18. Was torn of having the 49ers trade up for him though I hear they wanna grab a WR.

8. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I would have gone with Kyle Fuller instead of Gilbert if we're going CB in the 1st. Fuller is probably the most complete corner in the draft next to Dennard and Verrett. Dennard might have issues with being too physical in the NFL (I do think the Jets could fix that, though), and Verrett's size could make him a career slot corner (something out of his control). Gilbert is a terrible run tackler, and very soft in general.

So yeah, give me Kyle Fuller if we're going CB in the 1st, lol.

I like the Amaro pick in the 2nd round.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

nice detailed work on the mock..

in a draft this deep though, if we ended up with a CB who cannot tackle, and a TE who cannot block, i'd be very upset.
    if the board fell this way, i'd either take Fuller or Matthews at 18.
    If we were to trade up, round 2 is the best time to do it. ASJ (or Matthews if still there) would be my targets..

10. laxin

laxin Active Member

Just because Amaro didnt spend much time inline, it doesnt mean he cant block. He's just inexperience. He has upside as a blocker, and when he asked to occasionally he's shown that he's more than capable. Plus, TE's in the NFL now only have to be bearable as a blocker. Their ability in the passing game is MUCH more important.

11. richieC

richieC Active Member

Very good work. Really enjoyed reading this mock.
    If the draft played out like this..... would pain me to see Anthony Barr, Teddy Bridgewater get past the Jets.

That said, really like Gilbert's speed and ball hawking ability.... if we HAD to go corner 1st round.
    The thought of having elite speed on the outside with millner and gilbert makes me giddy. :cool:
    Just keep adding speed to our defense !!
    Would give me great pride to hear things like.... "damn that Jets defense is scary fast"

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Who, me? ;)

Actually, Gilbert is the only CB who could be taken in the first round by the Jets and I wouldn't be royally pissed. Why? I'm not saying he will become anywhere near as good as Neion Deion, but I think he would be plenty good if he could be just half as good as Deion. I haven't compared their stats, but know that he's plenty fast and has game-breaking type skills as a returner. Deion wasn't physical either and couldn't or wouldn't tackle. I think our secondary needs a ballhawk with speed more than anything else. Improve the pass rush, and chances are so will the number of incomplete passes and interceptions. Add a thumper at SS who isn't slow or develop Allen, and I think our secondary gets a lot better/tougher, even if his technique never improves. If he's able and willing to improve his technique, then he really could be something the other CBs in this draft could only dream about being.

You're right about Amaro. I would absolutely puke if the Jets take him, but would hope he'd prove me wrong over time. I don't think he's fluid at all. I admit that TE is a big need, but I'd rather have Marcel Jensen, Crockett Gillmore or even Arthur Lynch than Amaro. I'd rather take any other position and almost any other player over Amaro. I dislike him that much.

I actually like the rest of the draft a lot, although I wouldn't be all that thrilled with Landry being the best WR we got out of the draft. I think the Jets need a speedy playmaker at WR. They already have two possession WRs in Kerley and Nelson, and three if you count Decker, whom I see as more of a possession-type WR than a play-making, game-breaking WR. Landry would therefore just upgrade Nelson and I like Nelson's height and toughness. Landry has the toughness, or at least seems to, but he doesn't have the height. If the Jets draft a short WR, he'd better be a burner. Saunders is fast and quick, but will only be a returner and gadget player. I still want the Jets take either Cooks or Beckham at #18. If they fail at that, and Idzik decides to trade up at some point in the draft (not that I want him too), then I'd want him to trade up in round 2 to get Mathews at WR or ASJ rather than take Amaro.

I think Jensen's a MUCH better receiver than you give him credit for.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With many, if not most NFL teams, that is true, but not with the Jets imo. With as much as they like and expect to run the ball, the TE must be a good, if not very good blocker. "Bearable" won't cut it imo.

14. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Can't say I'm a Gilbert fan, he's soft as hell, a marshmallow. Unwilling tackler, great athlete and returner. Kyle Fuller is a much better Football player, which you want on your team, not just a great athlete. It's a shame you have totally ignored Kyle Fuller in this process.

Just Ok with Amaro at #49, he is a WR at the TE position, rather have a more well rounded TE.

Good luck Jarvis Landry lasting to Rd 3 for the Jets, not happening.

After Rd 3 I really like all of your players, excellent choices. Smallwood is a great player.

Obligatory Golden Domer is on board!!

Lot's of respect for the amount of effort and time involved.

#14 WW85, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
  15. richieC

richieC Active Member

You're right about Amaro. I would absolutely puke if the Jets take him, but would hope he'd prove me wrong over time. I don't think he's fluid at all. I admit that TE is a big need, but I'd rather have Marcel Jensen, Crockett Gillmore or even Arthur Lynch than Amaro. I'd rather take any other position and almost any other player over Amaro. I dislike him that much.

NcJetsfan-- really enjoy your posts.

If baker swaps out Amaro --> with Davante Adams or Allen Robinson.. would that make it a good draft in your eyes?
    And for that matter.... which one of the two would you like more?

Btw... totally agree about needing ball skills in the secondary... our defense is surprisingly poor at getting turnovers.
    This makes the game harder than it should be.

I think the added speed and threat of the interception would make QBs hold the ball a fraction longer.
    This in turn might lead to more sac-fumbles.
    The increase in turnovers...might add 2 games to the Jets win total all by itself. ( 2 games ! --> playoffs )

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

This post shows a lot of research and patience. How many hours did you put into this? Great job! I think we all have to accept the fact that WR vs CB is the Jet's perpetual dilemma right up until the final bell. I guess logic and value dictate CB first round although I wanted a WR. There are more WRs to go around than quality CBs so we have to grab a good one fast.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If Barr is there, Jets take him. Amaro can go fuck himself.

And I am not NCJetsFan.

Flame away.

P.S. I actually like the later picks a lot too.

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm with you with the Gilbert pick. I think he will be picked way before us. Rather would have Fuller. Don't want Barr. We need offense not another defensive player.

19. BakerMaker

No way have I ignored Fuller in this process......

Well no Cooks....or Dix or Pryor or Beckham Jr or Dennard. What do the Jets do? Barr or Gilbert. Both guys offer up the best available talent but Gilbert offers up an immediate need that gets filled while Barr offers up someone to replace Pace after next year. Gilbert will give Rex and co. the vision of being a younger Cromartie....someone who may shy away from tackling but at the same time someone who can make big play INTs and has great makeup speed if ever beat. I would prefer Fuller here but Idzik has and will always be a BPA guy and Gilbert gives it and hits home a big need. Fans might not the idea of yet another 1st round corner but Gilbert/Milliner with enough patience becomes what we hope is a dynamic 1-2 punch for years to come at the position. Gilbert offers up special talent as a kick returner though I wonder if we'd want someone who will be so valuable year 1 for us in a position to increase his chances of getting hurt. That I don't know but regardless, Gilbert has the tools in place to be a really good no.1 CB with enough time.

Agreed about Amaro but especially given the run of TEs, its tough to expect Fiedorowicz to be available by our pick in round 3. I want one of the top 5 TEs in this draft and if Amaro is sitting there by pick 49, I don't think its really out of the realm Idzik goes for him there. If we deploy 2 TE sets in Amaro and Cumberland, you know how tough of a cover that is for opposing teams? Have Jensen as the ground and pound/goal line TE blocker and we have a very good 3 TE forumla on the roster.

Oh Landry won't make it to our 3rd round pick but I can totally see him dip into round 3 since he doesn't have the speed people really crave out of their WRs. Its why I see both Adams and Robinson ahead of Landry though I'll take Landry over both guys. I have the Jets trading up to get him very early in round 3. Jags won't pass up reliable Landry.

20. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Your mock shows a flaw in Gilbert's game if You have him slipping to #18. It almost seems with the previous 17 picks You created a worst case scenario for the Jets.

I understand your premise about BPA in reference to Gilbert on Idzik's board. No one knows the Jet's rankings, maybe they have Fuller rated higher due to the lack of physicality of Gilbert's game. I hope the Jets take the BPA with common sense. Idzik isn't going to care what the knuckleheads at RCMH think, if a defensive player is the BPA.

We can agree to disagree on Landry. If he gets drafted in rd 3, I'll give you props and concede I was wrong, right now, I see a 2nd rd player. I was disappointed with his combine #s, but he has saved some face with a decent Pro day. The team that drafts Landry isn't going to be concerned with the measurables, they see a tough, sure handed football player.