Fields, Wilson or Trade Down? (POLL)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Feb 18, 2021.

?

Question in the title of this thread

1. Fields

10.2%
  2. Wilson

32.7%
  3. Trade Down

57.1%
  1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

What would you rather Jets do with the #2 pick?

2. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I voted trade down but that is a cop-out choice tbh. I just have to trust JD and hope for the best. "Trade down" always sounds good but is rarely doable. If the moment comes and trade down is not an option I choose Fields because I was so impressed with his game vs. Clemson. But I fully admit I could be wrong and Wilson is the better choice. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I voted trade down, but in reality, the Jets may have to make a non-QB selection at #2 if they decide to stay with Sam.

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think Sam is a goner. With that in mind I favor Wilson followed very closely by Fields. I'd be really happy with either one.

I'm usually a fan of trading down but I think acquiring a franchise QB is a prerequisite for sustained success in the NFL. You need to keep trying to get one until you have one, and having the #2 overall pick in a strong QB class is the extremely rare opportunity to do so without trading away a ton of picks to move up. We also have a lot of premium draft capital and cap space even without trading back, so I don't think we'll have an issue surrounding our new QB with talent.

5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Someone will trade for that pick if the Jets keep Sam.

6. westiedog1

I think the probability of that is high, bit you never know.

7. westiedog1

With the trade of Wentz yesterday, it was revealed that no QBs drafted in the first round between 2009 and 2016 are still with the team that drafted them. That speaks to the risk of drafting another QB in the hopes he'll be the next FQB. Personally, I think Darnold did not get a fair shot here and can still be the QB we all thought he was going to be, provided the FO does it's job and gets him some help. With Lawrence out of the way, I don't see any "can't miss" candidates among the remaining and I'm not anxious to jump back on the rookie QB merry-go-round. However, if they do decide to go a different way at QB, then yes, this is the opportunity.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think it's a fair point that "chasing a QB" is a risk, but that said, you need a FQB if you want the best chance to get to the SB. And with a #2 pick, this is a prime spot to get one. That doesn't mean you HAVE to do that - if Douglas really doesn't like any of them at that pick, then I can see him trading back, maybe even gambling that one he likes falls - we saw him do that with WR last draft. Trading back is tempting because you're going to get some more prime draft capital, BUT if you're looking for a QB it's a huge risk. With other positions you might be very happy "settling" for a great TE instead of the great WR you preferred as an example, but it's unlikely that you have more than one QB in mind for your FQB, and if that's the case you risk having someone take him before your pick comes up.

All things being equal, I prefer taking Wilson with that #2 pick.

9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Wish there was a trade up option but I took Fields at 2

10. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I picked trade down because the team has far too many holes and needs an infusion of talent everywhere. By trading down they can likely have 3 1st round picks next year to use on a QB if needed. I don't know which one, but a year ago nobody was talking Wilson and now he's in play for the 2nd pick. Next year there will be options just like this year.

I like the trade down option Cimini posted on his blog yesterday:
    That would add a lot of skill at positions of need.

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Wilson seems like a special talent to me. His accuracy, mobility, pocket presence, ability to throw into tight windows, work habits and football IQ all seem off the charts. Lance might have the most upside but he is pretty raw and jas a lot of holes. Fields has accuracy issues, pocket presence issues and has not shown an ability to read defenses. Wilson seems like the only worth drafting. But, if the FO is not in love with all of the 2nd tier QBs and wants to keep Sam or discard Sam and sign a veteran I think it would be best to trade down. From all reports Carolina seems very aggressive and wants a QB. Trading with them could result in the 8th pick plus next years 1st, a 2nd and maybe more. I don't think Sam can be be fixed but I will trust the FO and hope they sign someone to compete with Sam. At worst keeping Sam is a one year rental. Although, I would rather start over with Wilson. He seems like a perfect fit for the new offense.

JetFanInPA and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

The problem with your idea is that it's based on the assumption that the Jets could simply pluck the QB they want next year or the year after without having to spend a king's ransom to move up to do so (and the related assumption that they would even find a team willing to let them do that - does anyone think Jax will trade the #1 pick this year?). Even if they did have 3 first rounders next year, A: that might not be enough to move up from wherever they're slotted, and B: Does it make more sense really to strip draft capital that could be used to help your rookie QB succeed?

No, if they're planning on drafting a QB, this is the year to do it. Now maybe Douglas still believes in Darnold, or maybe he's going to get Watson, or maybe he'll go after another vet QB, which would eliminate QB from the list of draft needs, but if he wants to draft one, I can't see how it makes sense to ignore this year's draft position and crop of highly rated QBs for some future possibility that will likely cost even more.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

I would hope that if Douglas trades back out of the #2 that he gets a lot more than a first rounder from next year and a 2nd. That pick should yield two 1sts from this year, and a first and a 2nd from next year at least.

I also think Fields is better than you suggest here, although I too prefer Wilson.

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  14. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Fields.
    Go with the commodity that was known to be the #2 QB who killed the #1 head to head the last time they met.

That's what I want.

I think the Jets will trade down and take Lance or Jones or Trask or some shit.

15. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

I have Wilson, Lawrence, and Lance all grouped in a QB tier.

Assuming Lawrence goes 1, I have Wilson slightly ahead of Lance.

He is also a better system fit so Wilson is the choice.

JetsFan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What sense does it make to trade down this year, only to burn 3 1st round picks next year to get a QB? Next year's draft for QB isn't nearly as good or as deep, and the team will be better and drafting lower. Sorry, but this makes zero sense.

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Fields does not have accuracy issues. Lance is the one with accuracy issues if any of the three have a problem, but none are anywhere near as bad as Sam. The statement about Fields not shown an ability to read defenses has been debunked. The offense that OSU uses has a lot of long, slow-developing routes, where the WRs have the option of which route they are going to run. That is why Fields is often standing there holding the ball for a long time in the pocket, not because he can't read the D. For another thing, I have seen him read Ds, make quick, good decisions. Does he need work? Yes, but all four of the top QBs need work on reading NFL Ds.

I believe that all 3 of Wilson, Fields and Lance are VERY worth drafting. They all need work and all would benefit from sitting at least half of the upcoming season, but Wilson and Fields could possibly start day one. I think Lance will need to sit the entire year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Last year at this time where did you have Zach Wilson, Trey Lance and Mac Jones ranked? My guess is that you didn't, nor did most others. You can't predict the QB class a year out aside from 1 or 2 can't miss guys like Lawrence. I would prefer building the team and taking another chance with Darnold. If it doesn't work out look at the next class of QB savior du jour.

I get that people want to move on from Darnold but I don't see any of these QBs as can't miss prospects. Probably I'm wrong. I'll get behind whatever decision the football people (Douglas and team, not this forum) decide is best.

boozer32, ouchy and westiedog1 like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Last year this time I wasn't looking at QBs because I was still hoping that Sam would work out. This year, once I realized that Sam was not the answer, I began looking at QBs in this year's draft and did some research on QBs in next year's draft.

I disagree with the bold. No, you can't predict it totally, but you can get a very clear idea of what it will most likely look like. GMs have to do that every year when assessing needs. They're looking at that year's potential FA class and potential draft class and the following year's potential draft class and potential FA class, and maybe even another year or two after that. They have to have alternate plans for addressing needs, and then decide which is the best course of action. I guarantee you that if you do some research into next year's likely QB draft class, it will not contain 4 QBs like the top 4 in this upcoming draft, plus two more who have such potential, albeit scheme limited due to their lack of mobility/athleticism. Yes, right now there are two prospects who potentially can be very good, but at this point I don't think either is as good as Wilson, Fields and Lance. Another 1 or 2 may suddenly develop, but we still may not be in position to draft one of them, and even if we are, where's the logic in burning a bunch of draft picks to move up and take a QB when we can take one this year and not have to waste a single draft pick?

What you don't understand is that by improving the team their W-L record will get better and better and they'll be drafting lower and lower. They will not have a shot at a "can't miss" prospect without selling the farm, and they'd have to be very lucky to get that. This year is the closest they'll get to getting a "can't miss" prospect. Even if they do get "lucky" and find a team willing to trade down for 4-5 1st round picks, at best, they'd have a few years window to win, and then they'd be right back where they were 2-3 years ago with holes all over the roster because of all the draft picks we had traded away to try to move up to get a QB.

It is far riskier to roll with Sam than it is to draft a QB and re-set the cap. You're entitled to your opinion and your preferences, but your logic or reasoning is flawed.

20. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

the only trade down i could see is a few/several spots and going w/ lance or mac...
    MY deal would be grabbin Fields or zach @ #2

fwiw the folks at jets x factor have created a draft/fa tool to play with

NCJetsfan likes this.