Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 8, 2021.

?

Who would you pick at #2?

1. Fields

26.8%
  2. Wilson

58.8%
  3. Other - Please Explain

2.1%
  4. Trade Down

12.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Why would you say this (bold)? Do you really think Douglas & Co. haven't looked at all the options? In fact, we don't really know at this point exactly what JD is going to do. Certainly the pundits are convinced, but that doesn't mean anything really because they're often wrong. Personally I hope he takes Wilson, but maybe he takes Fields, maybe he trades back, no one except he knows what he'll do. Maybe it's unwarranted, but I do trust him to make at least a positive step in the right direction whatever he does, unlike the idiot Maccagnan who I never trusted. That said, if JD doesn't draft who he believes can be the FQB we've been seeking for 50+ years, I won't be thrilled.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, he was in the "Keep Darnold and trade down group." I agree, he does seem to enjoy watching the Jets fail and make mistakes. Going in a good direction may force him to retire! :D
    Definitely has not seemed too supportive of him yet, but I don't think he would be for Fields or Lance either. Probably would be happy with Jones, because it would be a huge mistake!

Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Trubisky and Sanchez struggles had to do with lack of playing time in college and both being thrown to the wolves day 1(Trubisky came in game 5 of 2017 season). I need more reps on the college level as the QB1 in the university they play for. I like Lance if he can redshirt ala Jordan Love but where he's picked, the fanbase & regime may not have the patience. If he goes to Denver for example, that's a HC and OC on the red hot seat and will throw him in the minute Drew Lock stinks it up and it could get ugly.

Lance played even weaker competition than Wilson but I don't think that's an end all, be all breaker for me. Experience is a different story.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Cimini plays contrarian for clicks, always has. Think he was on the "Keep Darnold, trade down for more assets" boat too which ignores the salary Darnold would have been asking for.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I agree with all that, although the reason this is such a topic is that we are the ones being affected in the long run. We have to live with every bad decision made by every Jets GM and we live with those mistakes for years.

6. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

If we were going after the second best QB in the pack then I'm picking Fields but if the Jets think Wilson is a better fit for the franchise and the system then I certainly wouldn;t be back in 2 or 3 years saying the 'x' was always my guy and Zach was always gonna be a bust.

So, unless we do something like draft any QB outside TL, ZW or JF then I'm gonna be looking forward to the next couple of seasons.

IIMeanDeanII and The Dark Knight like this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

What is lost in today's discussion is the price we are paying for Wilson. Even if he becomes a serviceable journeymen for us he wont be worth all the picks we walked away from to draft him at #2. If the guy doesn't turn out to be a star he was a bad pick because we are paying superstar capital for him. This draft (and next draft) could have been a gold mine of potential all pros.

#2487 ouchy, Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  8. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

FWIW, Cimini has joined your "Trade back and stockpile pics" camp Ouchy. He is advising the Jets to do the same thing rather than take a QB at 2.

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Thanks Pat, I never read the guy. Even though I still want us to trade back its really too late to get the prime swaps. JD let that train pass and the swaps available now are scraps.

patleahy likes this.
  10. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't see too much media hyping him (Herd is the latest example), hence Sam's comparison you made, where media was hyping him as #1, but football GMs would not pick top 2, doesn't make too much sense, since in Zach's case it's the opposite, but whatever fits your narrative.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is one of my huge worries about using the #2 on a QB. None of the guys there are going to be more than a passing shot at a good player let alone a great player. We could get lucky with the pick but that just doesn't feel like a Jets-like outcome.

Then a few years down the road we likely have nothing to show for the pick while an All-Pro or two were picked from among the obvious candidates in the picks behind us in the top 10.

Right now if you have the 5, 6 or 7 this draft looks like a major gold mine because so many teams are looking to make the bad pick for need for a QB in front of those picks.

The Fins maybe got their QB last year and now they're going to be picking in golden ticket land on the #6. We're going to push a great prospect down to them while we take somebody who likely shouldn't sniff the 1st round but goes on the #2 because of QB fever. The 49ers are also going to take the weak QB after us and then things get great for the teams picking just for value.

It just feels like a totally Jets-like quandary that we're in and like we always do we're going to make it worse by doing the lower percentage play.

To make matters worse the draft has some great playmakers in it at the top and we, the team that hasn't had a great playmaker for more than season or two for decades, are going to pass all of them up to draft our tinman QB prospect.

You get great playmakers up at the top of the draft too only this draft has several of them and we're going to let them go by so we can take a guy we can market at QB.

patleahy and ouchy like this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Whatever the reason is most media I heard prefers Fields at #2. Most QBs/QB coaches I saw prefer Wilson, and also info from NFL sources indicate most GMs prefer Wilson, including Jets and 49ers. This is just different than Sam's situation, where media consensus was he is clear #1, yet 2 QB needy teams passed on him, that's all I am saying. As far as your second question, I do think one of us will be wrong, but whether it will be you realizing something or me realizing something, is yet to be determined.

14. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Cimini the agitator what a fuckin’ clown, just go away, who the fuck cares what that guy thinks

15. matt robinson 17

We’ll just play a wing t with no Quarterback, what an ahole Cimini is

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, this is as ridiculous as his point that Bell (who didn't even contribute much for KC) is going to SB on Jets dime. Irrelevant!

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Any non Lawrence QB we take at #2 is a reach, so no I don't agree with it. I think Fields would be a safer choice if pressed, but still a reach. I still hope for a trade down with Denver but it would be JD making a last second desperation swap rather then the cherry swap the eagles were so willing to give us. So far the dolphins have stolen JDs lunch money this draft.

18. matt robinson 17

Or Zach Wilson was such a hated teammate he wasn’t even voted a team Captain

19. matt robinson 17

I’m in the minority but I’m not sold on Lawrence

Brook! and patleahy like this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

How could he, he is a spoiled brat, since his uncle owns Jet Blue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.