Fickle fans can be our own worst enemy.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Nov 15, 2014.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

TwoHeadedMonster, LAJet and Jetaho like this.
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The fans are not fickle, they want a winning team, one that they spend good money on.

Some fans are immature, but that is a different argument.

The fact is that Vick was and is the better player, Geno sucks and no matter what process is in place the result will not change for him.

Some one in that organization decided that the QB competition was going to be just a dog and pony show because Geno was going to get the starting job.

That experiment came back to bite some in the rear big time and now heads are going roll at the end of the year because of it.

You can't trust the process when it's results have been 4 straight non playoff years and the team continues to put the wrong people on the field until they can't justify it any longer and are forces to play someone else.

I like chad but he gave a very positive twist to a situation that needs change.

The win against the steelers showed us jet fans that Rex does not have to blitz for this defense to be successful, because they rushed Ben with 4 guys most of the game.

It also showed that winters should have been replaced early in the season, because Aboushi has done a better job already.

I don't want Idzik out, I want to see him with a coach of his choosing, because he has made an effort to give the CS what they need to be succesful.

Whether the CS knows how to use these players, that's a whole different ball game.

However if Idzik and the CS decided that they wanted to give Geno the job to see what he had, then I beleive no one will be fired and the jets will try to find a way to get another QB in this roster next year.

But if they go back to Geno at some point again toward the end of the season then they should all be fired.

JMO.

Pocket Jet, Jets69 and PennyRoyal10 like this.
  3. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Love Chad, but he is wrong about Idzik and Smith. In regards to Idzik, if the guy has a process that has already failed (he can't draft, refuses to spend money, and has made some bad decisions), what are we waiting to happen? Where does Chad think the process is leading?

As for Geno, I get why Chad won't say anything bad about him, but the dude has no future in the NFL. Dude simply doesn't have the vision to play QB in the NFL. He's a tough guy, and has a good arm, but he legitimately has no clue what he is trying to accomplish out there.

One more point, what the hell is Chad wearing? One of the ugliest suits that I have ever seen. It was simply brutal.

4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I agree 100%.

Unfortunately we have seen Woody Johnson, time and time again, fold under pressure of these impatient fans that will never understand the importance of continuity.

We will never go anywhere if our fan base doesn't realize their pessimistic, impatient approach hasn't got us anything for 40+ years. Sure there has been a lot to be unhappy about, I get it, but wanting everyone fired all the time and never allowing continuity to unfold is ultimately what keeps us from consistently being good.

5. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

I don't even get what this means. The Jets have sucked because they usually accept mediocrity, not because they are too quick to change. Since Bill left, Herm was here for too long, as was Rex, and Bradway and Tannenbaum.

It's like business folks, it you hire a CEO and a company has 4 bad quarters, no one says lets give him 5 years for continuity. There are immediate calls to replace the CEO (and rightfully so). Same concept here - you don't need years to see if a guy sucks or not, and once you see whether a guy can't do a job, waiting 5 years for the sake of continuity is just foolish (because it does nothing but waste years).

6. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

If we all take your approach, the majority of us will be dead before this team sniffs another super bowl again. But hey, lets allow continuity for the sake of continuity even though this team is heading close to a Kotite direction then anywhere else!

7. IIMeanDeanII

Yet, you are ignoring a key component in your analogy.

That CEO dominated the first 8 quarters starting out, when given the right amount of guys to help the company flourish. You start dismantling your staff, cut a corner here, bring in someone unqualified there, you will ultimately have 4 terrible years under that CEO regardless of how good that CEO is.

Rex has already proven, with at least some talent, he can make noise and go far into the playoffs. I'm still not so sure that Rex isn't a good HC and I dare to ask who would have done a better job the past four years with these awful rosters?

8. IIMeanDeanII

Were you around during the Kotite years? Do you really think this season or team feels anything close to that season?

If so I truly don't know what to even say to that. It's not even close for me.

9. AZ_JetsFan

AZ_JetsFan Member

You're also ignoring a key component in you're rebuttal. Your "CEO" played a very large part in cutting those corners, bringing in unqualified people and dismantling the staff.

The argument of 'who would've done better' is a cop out. The bottom line is, the job is not being done. And there are people to blame. You can't cherry pick which things Rex deserves credit for and pin the blame elsewhere. If Rex doesn't need to be held accountable for his mistakes, then we have a long road of mediocrity ahead of us.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. Red Menace

My friend, your analogy is missing one key point, your current CEO won with the staff that he did not put together.

When he was given time to put a staff together that's when they started to have poor quarterly showings.

Rex has had a hand in putting together the team we see on the field, and that's why I made a point in my earlier post that if Idzik and the coaching staff, decided to give Geno the job without a true QB competition, no one will be fired.

They will agree as an organization that Geno sucks and they need to find a QB.

AZ_JetsFan likes this.
  11. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Some talent? 2010 was a stacked team on both sides of the ball and special teams. If anything he squandered the best oppertunity the Jets have had in decades.

matt robinson 17 and Red Menace like this.
  12. AZ_JetsFan

AZ_JetsFan Member

Thank you! Your post just echoed my thoughts exactly. Very well said.

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Everybody else you mentioned gets graded on results, Idzik stays because he "made an effort."

Sorry, not good enough.

FlaJet likes this.
  14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm sure most Chicago Cub fans would agree with you..

15. Red Menace

Rale, when he was hired, Woody was specific in the roles that each guy would have, Rex was in charge of hiring the coaching staff and Idzik was in charge of getting them the players.

I'm sure there is some gray in those roles where the CS can add their opinion on what kind of players they would like to fit into their schemes.

So far in 2 years Idzik has drafted ok, Amaro, Pryor, Aboushi, who is doing well and I expect him to continue to get better.

Richardson, Milliner who if he can stay healthy has also progressed well.

His FA signings have also done well.

You want him gone after 2 years?

I'm willing to give any coach, GM more than 2 years.

If Idzik get fired and rex stays, that means he has had 6 years as a HC, 3 OC, 2 GMs, 2 DCs, a complete overhaul of a football team.

Are you telling me that you would be okay with giving a HC who has been given all these opportunities with different management teams and has had very little success, more time?

The truth is, no one knows who is making these decisions, for example, is it rex not wanting to play Aboushi, think about it, winters would still be playing if he did not get hurt and the fans would still be on Idzik about the Aboushi pick, when in actuality he is already better than winters.

How long did it take to get rid of Wayne hunter? The guy did not even belong in the NFL yet for some unexplained reason the jets hung on to this guy way to long.

We don't know who is doing what in this organization, but there is a serious problem with the jets, we just don't know who to point the finger at.

16. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Bingo

Chad nailed it

17. fireidzik_billboard

fireidzik_billboard Active Member

Lol... The NY Jets website posts a video of Bob We-Losin' and Chad Pennington promoting the idea that through their actions, the fans are somehow influencing their bosses future replacement not to come here.

Seems legit.

18. fireidzik_billboard

fireidzik_billboard Active Member

The Bills, Chiefs, Brown, Bucs and plenty of other fanbases have done the same thing and the team had no trouble finding a GM.

Before we got rid of Tannenbaum, Jets fans did nothing like this and we got turned down by the guy who took the freakin' Jaguars job! People wouldnt even give Woody an interview bc of his absurd "keep Rex" demands. That is why we wound up with Idzik in the first place.

Maybe the fans aren't the problem...

#18 fireidzik_billboard, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    TNJet and Red Menace like this.
  19. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

In my analogy, Rex wouldn't be the CEO. I think he needs to be fired, but I like Rex. I have said all along that Rex will coach the best defense in football in 2015 if he gets fired.

Rex has been fucked over here, no doubt about it. He was forced to go with Sanchez and then Smith. However, where I get on Rex is that Rex does not give a shit about offense and his philosophy of ground and pound is built to have success in 1969, not 2014.

However, going back to the analogy, Idzik is a bit like Ginni Rommetti of IBM. She's had 2 years and has done an awful job at IBM. Hence, she needs to go, and giving her another 3 years for "continuity" makes no sense for anyone involved. Same with Idzik. We know he can't draft, he can't build a roster, and quite frankly, he has no eye for talent. So, why should he get another 2 or 3 years when it is a given that he won't get better and can't do the job?

Matty Jets likes this.
  20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

We interviewed a shitload of candidates... pretty much every one of the viable candidates, so i'm not sure where you are getting that from.

Caldwell is the only one i can recall as not being interested after the interview, and went to Jax instead (they've one 5 games in 2 seasons since btw, so no big loss).

I don't think we'd have a problem finding a GM this season either, fwiw.
    Have a shit load of cap room, and it's a big time market to prove yourself. You have to want the pressure though, and have the understanding that a 3 year rebuild will not be met with any patience. This is not Jacksonville.

The last GM would have been canned real quickly, and the fans are clearly not going to be on your side. It will take the right type of person to want that challenge, which could limit the selection pool a little, but there will be quality candidates......again.