Feelings on pulling the Ditka

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Rockefella, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Let's say the Jets FO isn't happy with picking late in the first (with what looks like some subpar talent being available at 30) and decides to go all-in to trade up to the 8-12 pick. How do you react?

2. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

3. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I can't imagine a world where that makes any sense.

4. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

It doesn't, was just wondering what people would think if it did happen. More hypothetical if anything. That being said, I'm not too confident in what will be available to the team in this years draft. No one excites me that will be around for picks 30, 94, so on..

There are some nice players, sure. But are there difference makers that will boost the pass rush? I don't think so honestly.

5. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I could see one team doin' the Ditka this year....it won't be the Jets, but i bet one team goes all in on a player.

6. franzman9

franzman9 Member

The only player I would want the Jets to pull a Ditka for would be the great Cam Newton..... Sanchez is a dick.

7. franzman9

franzman9 Member

In all seriousness though, their isnt on player in this draft that would be worth giving up the bank for. The only possible player I could see the Jets wanting would be Von Miller, but in all honesty he isnt ever worth it either.

8. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

If Tanny did that, I'd want to drive to NJ and make sure he never conducted another draft for the Jets. I wouldn't, but I'd sure want to.

After looking at the PFW value chart, if it is anywhere near accurate, I think you may be right about there not being any difference makers, particularly at the Jets' positions of need, when they pick. Typical Jets' luck. That's why I think trading down, if they can, may be the only answer. In that way, they may get at least one player in the 2nd round at OLB or DL who can make an impact. Otherwise, I think all the players we'd like to see come to the Jets could be gone. Of course, I think any trade down should be made contingent on who is there at #30, but rather than take an OL, CB, or even WR (where there could be a need) I'd rather trade down. 1st round WRs often bust or take years to develop. CB, as GH says, they already have enough young guys at the spot, and it would look like they had given up on Wilson already. OL I've already said why I think that would be a foolish pick. It would be better than reaching big time for an OLB or DE, but that's about it imo.

9. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I'd love it, but only if we picked Aldon Smith.

10. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Since we have no CBA and FA, it's extremely unlikely the "Ditka" is going to go down this year. Draftpicks are at a premium, I don't see a team mortgaging thier draft.

That being said, If I was going to move up to the #12 area to get a player it would be Cameron Jordan or JJ watt.

11. Green Hurricane

OK... if the Jets made the trade, and there was no way to back out of it, and there's the choice player on the board... it'd have to be this guy:

[​IMG]

If they did it for anything but a premier passrusher it'd be madness.

12. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Agree completely.

On that note, will teams be able to trade players on draft day (in conjunction with other picks to move up) with the lockout being in effect?

13. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

There's only 3 guys that COULD be there at 8-12 that if I had to pick from, in a trade everything scenario, would be Patrick Peterson, Von Miller, or Watt.

14. Green Hurricane

Players absolutely can't be traded, but picks can. I haven't heard specifically about future picks yet, but I imagine they're OK to be dealt.

15. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm tired of giving up picks year after year.I'm hoping we stay put and fill a few holes.

16. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

You can trade future picks, but buyer beware.

Unlikely, but we may have NO draft in 2012.

17. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I'm never tired of giving up picks for Sanchez, Revis, Greene, Harris, Keller....

Draft fans love more and more picks, smart draft fans understand value and when you should trade up. It's clear when you have less ammo it's more difficult.

18. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Kind of funny that the Jets stayed put on the first 2 picks last year: Wilson and Ducasse and they're preliminarily looking like the worst picks of that draft. The picks where trades were involved for Conner and McKnight are looking to be better, even being a couple rounds later. I guess it's just coincidence but it shows how Tanny is usually in the right when he makes a move for the guy he wants instead of staying put and picking up what's left at the time of the pick.

19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i do not know about the lunatic thing that ditka did with the saints but there is definitely an argument, IMO, for the jets to mortgage a second day pick or 2, or even a first day pick next year, to move up in R1 or get back into R2.....

my reason being is that we have gotten by with that philosophy, including trades, for the last few years and it has gotten the team to 2 straight AFC title games with a nice foundation of talent thats getting into the prime years.

take the other side of the coin and look at the pats - dozens of picks and 2 consecutive home playoff losses in 09 and 10.....

without the pre draft FA, i can see a team such as the jets making a splash with quality over quantity.

jil

20. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

This is probably the best year ever to draft someone that will make a pass rushing difference at #30...