Favorite Post-Draft FA Targets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, May 3, 2022.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It would appear that we are effectively up against the cap right now. Looks like our rookie class will have a combined cap number of about 16.5M for this season. Spotrac has us with ~15M in space and OTC has us at ~ 17M.

However, as we all know by now the cap is a myth and I have a feeling that the Jets will look to add 1-3 more pieces before the season starts.

So, it's a simple question, who's left in the FA pool that you'd like to see the Jets add?

I'd like to add some more depth at OT. A name I like is Billy Turner. He's played every position on the OL except for C so he would be a valuable guy to bring in for depth across the entire OL but could be a perfect swing OT for us.

I'd like to see them add someone in that Foley role and a guy who I think could fill that is Linval Joseph. He's quite a bit older so I can't imagine he'll command a ton on the open market so I think he could be had for relatively cheap.

Finally, I think we need an upgrade at S and that player would be Jaquiski Tartt. He's already played in Saleh's system in SF so the learning curve wouldn't be as steep for him. He's also extremely versatile and would be a nice 1-2 punch with Whitehead.

TLDR; I think adding Billy Turner, Linval Joseph, and Jaquiski Tartt would be a perfect way to cap off this offseason and set us up to be a solid team going into 2022!

2. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

3. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Let's court Anthony Barr and have him leave us at the alter again.

#3 Savatage, May 3, 2022
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that thinks we should resign LDT and not have to worry about the G position for a while.

5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

LDT -- Not sure if he figured out what's going on with his MD since that's important to him

Keelan Cole -- Knows the system and would be a fine fit as depth behind Davis, Moore, and Wilson

Eric Fisher -- I'd rather not throw a rookie 4th round pick into the fray, Fisher would be a great depth option behind Becton and Fant

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

He's one I thought about adding to my list but didn't because I had a feeling someone else would bring him up.

Cut GVR and use that money to sign LDT. Seems like a good option to me.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree 100%

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

YES. so bizarre that he's so bad and named Roten

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Or ask him in for a chat then offer a contract then withdraw it :D

#9 K'OB, May 3, 2022
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

We would all agree to this but does he want to play football?

KY Jets Fan and BacktoQueens like this.
  11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

LDT, Tartt, and Linval Joseph are all excellent suggestions.
    I like bringing back Cole on the cheap also for depth.

Some other cheap signings I'd like to see:
    DT - absolutely need big body DL's to help stuff run.
    Rankins just not cutting it.
    Kyle Phillips would be my first target as a re-sign, maybe a 1 yr prove it deal.
    Sheldon Richardson would be interesting. Bringing back Steve McLendon just to play NT snaps would even help (although I think we end up playing more Wide9 and less 4-3 Under, which I'll get into with another thread topic).

LB - need a veteran.
    Either Kwon Alexander or someone like that.

S - if not Tartt, Kazee should be really cheap.
    I remember when he was with the Falcons while Ulbrich was there, he played both S positions.
    He'd only be a depth and competition signing in case of injury or one of the young guys not improving.

EDIT - and just like that it looks like Kazee gone lol.
    Signed with Steelers.

12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

LDT got his medical licensing straightened out in the spring and is good to play this year.

13. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Besides for LDT, I'd like to add Akiem Hicks for DT and either Daryl Williams, Riley Reiff or Mike Remmers to the list. There are better OT's than those 2, but I'm guessing guys like Fischer are signing where they'll start and will want more than the Jets can likely pay.

14. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Wouldn't mind Emmanuel Sanders.

Played in this system and can help be a vet in a young O.

Also, he'd be WR 5/6 which is providing really solid depth.

Other than that I'm looking at 1 tackle, 1 G/C, a DT, ILB and S too fill out these rooms with depth.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

mrmajix, Lon Chaney and KY Jets Fan like this.
  15. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

I hate to say this but I am not sure we are at the point of getting an aging vet to be on the bench. 1) Decent vet as backup will want to be on a contender. 2) We have youngsters who need the reps for development and evaluation . If a starter gets injured esp at OT, I could see a vet coming ala Moses but again that is to start not sit.

16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Although he's technically not a FA just yet, it seems like Deion Jones might be on the chopping block in ATL.

I don't think I would trade for him unless ATL agrees to eat a good portion of his cap, his contract is rather hefty, but if he's cut, JD should be all over this. He's played for Ulbrich and would be a good fit for our D alongside CJ IMO.

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

What cap space do we still have. By my estimates, with 3 firsts, we will be over the cap after signing our picks. Someone will probably need to be cut. Not sure though. Anyone know where we stand?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Someone posted the other day we had around 17 million left and we need 16 million after the trade ups to sign our picks. We still have some savings coming when we cut GVR and likely we will push money forward if we extend Fant. There should be a bunch of cuts incoming to get under the 90 player cap before the rookie weekend. It is pretty tight for salary cap cash but they should have no problem freeing up money if needed. The bigger problem is finding someone worth spending that cash on.

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Feel free to click the links in the OP. First one shows our projected rookie cap hits and the next 2 are Spotrac's and OTC's projections for our current cap space. :D

Noam and ouchy like this.
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’m good on standing pat until camp starts. No reason to take reps away from the development players at this point.

KingRoach likes this.