FA backs still on the market

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RochesterJet, Jun 15, 2012.

1. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I usually hate when people start threads with “Sign this BEAST”. I thought I would try a different approach for the running back position. After the Draft (I like the kid from Baylor and it will be nice to see what we have in Powell after this camp) and most of the upper echelon FA’s have been snagged, I thought it would be interesting to see who is still out there. I think we need to add one proven vet to our group of RB’s. I know we have Christ himself as a hybrid RB, but with the idea of regaining our power running game who do you guys like of the group still available? or maybe we wait until the initial cuts to snag someone...

*Battle, Jackie
    *Grant, Ryan
    *Benson, Cedric
    *Graham, Earnest
    *Jones, Thomas
    *Moore, Mewelde
    *Morris, Sammy
    *Norwood, Jerious
    *Torain, Ryan
    *Ward, Derrick
    *Williams, Cadillac

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

We have 4 RB's on the roster and none of those except maybe Cedric Benson would be an upgrade in my opinion.

3. RochesterJet

I too like Benson, Balltle (Monster), and Norwood for his spped and ST ability.

4. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Don't forget Jonathan Stewart. Not a FA, but any team thinking about backs has to think about him.

5. RochesterJet

In my opnion, Jonathan Stewart would be the best fit for this offense (I wanted us to go after Mike Freaking Tolbert hard in FA).

6. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Id rather see what we have on our team then constantly looking to bring in older players. We have some guys with very good speed; some with great power; some who can cut well; some who can block well. They now all know the system ! Why not give the young guys a chance?

7. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

Benson would beast here.

8. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

I was a big fan of Thomas Jones when he was here shame the years have caught up to him. This is such a brutal sport that one would think you have to give the young guys a try. I say we keep what we have and lets find out more when camp starts and a pre-season game or two should answer a lot of questions. Go Jets

9. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

Thomas Jones probably still has fresh legs and you know hes in shape.

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Thomas Jones! Let's give him vet min, just for his leadership. He'll obviously take less reps than Greene or McKnight, but I wouldn't mind seeing him back in a Jets uniform. It would be a good insurance policy as well in case one of those 2 goes down.

#10 Barcs, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  11. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

We have a bunch of young backs. We need to give them an opportunity to show what they can do. Bringing in a veteran will just take carries away from them.

12. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

Are we rebuilding or trying to win a Super Bowl?

13. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I can't believe TJ hasn't been picked up. I loved LT being here but I think TJ should have been kept on as well - although unrealistic...

14. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I'd take Jackie Battle or Ryan Torain in a heartbeat...shocked to see they are still floating around.

15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

i know this is a strange answer...but i think the jets are doing a little bit of both.

16. TwoHeadedMonster

Trying to win a Super Bowl. It's about time we take note of the way teams do that--by cultivating the talent they draft. Every year we try to plug every weak position with a free agent instead of giving the young guys a shot to step up.

How many big name free agents did it take to get the Giants, Packers, Saints, Steelers, Pats, or Colts their rings in recent years?

And how many have we signed in that time? I'm just tired of watching my team win the Free Agency bowl every year when the way to the Super Bowl is through the Draft.

To make it worse, we don't draft all that poorly. Lots of our players have rings they earned with these other teams. Vilma, Goodwin, McKenzie, and I won't even mention the ones that won with the Patsies.

We don't give them a chance to shine, we have to grab some other teams' cast off star instead.

Sorry for the rant. It's several years in the making.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Wow, Thomas Jones was done when we let him go. People still want him back? The guy is done folks.

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

We have to let these young guys try and prove themselves... Those backs arent going anywhere soon, and none of them have real potential. We could have the next mid round RB that breaks out on the roster, but the only way we can find out is if they get enough reps.

Im not that confident in our backfield, but at this point with no back that is a real upgrade over what we have on the market, we have to let these picks play out. I dont think Greene is anything more than average, but neither are any of those names above (aside from Stewart obviously). We might be able to get the same production from Terrance Ganaway as we might get from Ryan Grant, but Ganaway could be a long term solution.

19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Quoted for truth.

Sign the beast!

20. TwoHeadedMonster

Yes yes!

Let's sign every available free agent. At every position. Every year.

Heck, I think the U.S. Navy, the Royal Air Force, and Crocodile Dundee should be signed by the Jets too.