Expectations game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Traveling, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Traveling

Traveling New Member

This team was 4-12 last year and this year it will be either 9-7 or 10-6. If you can be honest (and not let your current emotions get in the way), how would you have felt at the beginning of the season if someone told you this would be the record and the team had the chance to make the playoffs? Would you have been happy??

I seriously ask that questions because I believe many people's expectations became unrealistic after the Patriots and Titans games. Before the season started, I had the sense that everyone had high enough expectations for the team, possibly make the playoffs but not win the division due to the Patriots. Then Brady got hurt and the expectations changed a bit. Then the Jets started out the season poorly and the fans didn't think this team would make the playoffs. Toward the middle of the season, the Jets put on a good run with two quality wins against the Patriots and the Titans. Suddenly, people were printing SB tickets and talking about a Jets-Giants SB. Expectations went through the roof. Then, the Jets went in the tank and went 1-3. Now, the season is over, the coaching staff should be fired, and Favre is a bust.

I realize that expectations change throughout the season, but I think it is pretty clear that the Jets are a .500-team or maybe slightly better. I still believe that many would have been happy at the beginning of the season to know the Jets had a chance to make the playoffs (yes with a little help) and even possibly win the division. This is a truism in the NFL, you never get too high and you never get too low. As Chris Collinsworth said during the halftime show on NBC, a couple of weeks ago people were talking about a Giants-Jets SB, Kurt Warner as the MVP, and the Colts and Chargers were done. Again, it's all about the expectations game.