Evaluating The 2012 Losses of the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 11, 2012.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I do not want to defend the 2012 Jets or Rex Ryan or their players, but I was looking at their losses and none were too shocking. Take a look:

1. Week 2 at (7-6) Steelers 27-10.
    The Steelers are obviously tough to beat at home and the Jets played without Revis, no surprise here.

2. Week 4 vs. (9-3-1) 49ers 34-0.
    No surprise they lost here, but the way they lost put a bad taste in many's mouths.

3. Week 5 vs. (11-2) Texans 23-17.
    Despite the loss, the Jets played better than Houston, I feel. Key mistakes hurt them in the game, including Sanchez's tipped, redzone INT.

4. Week 7 at (10-3) Patriots 29-26 OT.
    I still feel this was the best game the Jets played all season. Typical Jets fashion, they blew it in the end though.

5. Week 8 vs. (5-8) Dolphins 30-9.
    No excuse for this game. Worst the Jets played all year, I feel. Worst loss too. For some reason Rex cannot sweep the Dolphins.

6. Week 10 at (8-5) Seattle 28-7.
    Seattle has shown they are really good lately, and the Jets were in this game up until the 4th Quarter, when the wheels fell off.

7. Week 12 vs. (10-3) Patriots 49-19.
    Clearly a terrible game, with 35 points allowed in the 2nd quarter. Still, hard to truly evaluate with how everyone fell apart so fast.

So there you have it: the 7 losses of the Jets so far.

6 of the losses look to be against Playoff teams. Miami being the only one that is not in the running.

I am not sure Rex can even be on the hot seat right now, considering that schedule and the roster he had to compete against it. Subtract Revis and Holmes from the mix, and (6-7) at this point could be considered pretty good.

Thoughts?

2. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Only loss that we should have won were the Dolphins. We let the Patriots beat us again, plain and simple.

Other than that, a basic eye test would see those were the losses we would have. I really wish we found a way to beat the Steelers back then, it would have helped out a lot now.

3. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

The main pattern in these losses is that we were close early, then the wheels came off, usually due to a turnover or bad special teams play.

Good teams basically put us away and we're not a team that can play catch-up.

We agonizingly lost to the Texans and Pats. We easily could have won both and be sitting pretty at 8-5, a game behind the Pats right now. We'd be talking about how we can still win the division and get a home playoff game with the Pats' tough schedule instead of just possibly making it.

Just goes to show that the difference between the teams in the NFL is really, really slim.

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Offense was too inept in the PIT, SF, MIA, and SEA losses. WRs simply could not beat press cover or get separation, we couldn't run it either.

5. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Rex is not on the Hot Seat, but if we miss the Playoffs he will be on it next year.

6. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

No, our coaches lost that game 100%.

And the team Q-U-I-T the next week against the Fish because they were still down abou the NE game.

The Jets played with more effort in 1 of the NE quarters on the road than they did in the entire Dolphins game at home.

7. jets4lyfah

jets4lyfah Banned

we were in every game till avalanche of mistakes and flukey plays hit us

the losses don't deter me

now we get braylon back, Sanchez get a legit target. this jet is flying under the radar man

8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

We weren't that good this year but schedule didn't help either.

Except Miami game here, all our losses are normal losses. 6 of those losses came against potential play off teams.

Looking at Atlanta. Besides Broncos, they only beat Dallas and Redskins with a winning record. And most likely neither Dallas nor Redskins will make the play offs.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

for me the loss that stings the most is the pats 1st game. we handed the d a lead with 1:30 ish (iirc). those are games a team like this one has to win. the d shit the bed at the end of regulation and then in o.t. a ryan led team has got to close those out. period.

7-6 with a split against the pats would look so much different than where we sit now

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The win against Miami should have been a loss also.

11. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

1 play in the NE loss...just make the catch Hill ..
    ...and the season is so different right now...

12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

That's what I've been saying. One dropped pass completely changed the Jets season. The Jets would be in a three way tie for the wildcard spot with all they need is one steelers loss and to win 3 winnable games and they'd be in it.

13. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

Why? We clearly outplayed Miami.

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

If we're looking at 1 game that would have changed teh entire season, its not the Pat games guy since they would win division anyway. Its the fucking Pittsburgh game. Correct me if Im wrong but if we had won that one, we'd control our own destiny right now.

15. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

That is true but that's not what we're looking at ...

See what happens when you don't show up.

16. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

When the 2012 Jets season ends and the media circus finds some other obsession, we'll eventually remember this team for what it was: a mediocre squad that could grind out wins against bad teams, but wasn't good enough to hang with the league's elite.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Because they missed not one, but two FG's late that would have won the game for them. Not 50+ jobs either, both FG's were very make-able and they just missed them.

18. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

I don't think the team "didn't show up" @ Pittsburgh. Two plays changed the game: Woodley's late hit on Sanchez, who was off to a great start picking up where he left off the Bills game and Cromartie letting Mike Wallace get that touchdown.

19. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

The first time? We absolutely DID NOT.

The Fish had numerous chances to win that game late. What are you talking about?

20. Sanchito6

Sanchito6 Member

Bingo. Sanchez was clinical on that first drive. Continuing on the momentum from the Buffalo game. That Timmons hit scared him, and he hasn't recovered since. It was like BOOM 'oh shit i remember im in the NFL again.' And he lost his confidence.