ESPN: Jets approach Packers for Rodgers Trade

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Feb 12, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Will lock other threads and let's continue here

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ask-packers-aaron-rodgers-available-via-trade

Sources: Jets ask Packers if Aaron Rodgers available via trade

The New York Jets have inquired about Aaron Rodgers' availability with the Green Bay Packers, sources told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler on Sunday.

The Jets have said they are in the market for a veteran quarterback this offseason. In addition, the Jets hired Nathaniel Hackett -- Rodgers' former offensive coordinator with the Packers -- as their offensive coordinator.
    Rodgers, 39, said on "The Pat McAfee Show" last week that he is going on a four-day/four-night darkness retreat this week, during which he plans to contemplate his playing future.

"I've got a pretty cool opportunity to do a little self-reflection in some isolation," Rodgers, a four-time NFL MVP, said. "And then after that I feel like I'll be a lot closer to a final, final decision."

Rodgers, who has spent his entire 18 NFL season career with the Packers, said he has not decided if he will play in 2023, whether that's with Green Bay or another team, amid reports that he could be traded.
    The Jets are in the market for a quarterback after Zach Wilson's continued struggles this season.

The 2021 No. 2 overall pick has completed just 55.2% of his passes in 22 starts with 15 touchdowns and 18 interceptions in two seasons. The Jets have said they are committed to developing Wilson behind a veteran quarterback, however.

Jets owner Woody Johnson said after the season that he believed adding a proven quarterback would be the "missing piece" to help end the Jets' 12-season playoff drought.
    Johnson, in a red-carpet interview with ESPN's Dianna Russini's before the NFL Honors award show on Thursday, reiterated the Jets' desire to acquire a veteran quarterback. Johnson said the Jets' "weakness was in the quarterback position" but was careful not to mention Rodgers by name to avoid tampering charges.
    When asked directly about Rodgers, he said, "I can't really talk about him because he's a member of another team, but everybody recognizes talent when they see it."

Hackett, who was fired as the Denver Broncos' head coach during his first season in the job, was the Packers' offensive coordinator for three seasons (2019-21). Rodgers said in a recent interview with "The Pat McAfee Show" that he "really bonded" with Hackett during his time with him.

Rodgers is due $59.5 million in guaranteed money this year and another $49.25 million in 2024. Of the guaranteed money owed to Rodgers in 2023, $58.3 million of it is structured as an option bonus. The window to exercise that option is from the first day of the new league year (March 15) until one day before Green Bay's regular-season opener in September.

By including that option bonus in Rodgers' contract, both sides have more than enough time to find a trade partner. Once the option is exercised, Rodgers' cap number for 2023 would be $31,623,570. Rodgers said recently on "The Pat McAfee Show" that he would be willing to adjust his contract if he decided to play next season.

Packers president Mark Murphy also talked to Russini on Thursday and said he understands that Rodgers will need to take his time before making a decision on his future.

"Obviously, he's meant so much to us. First ballot Hall of Famer, we know he needs time. Especially when you play as long as he has, it's a grind to get ready for the season. We want to make sure that he makes a decision that he's comfortable with. So, we'll give him time, but that said, we do have to plan," he said.
    The Packers also have to decide on quarterback Jordan Love's fifth-year option that would be worth roughly $20 million fully guaranteed by May 1.

Love flashed in mop-up action in a game against the Philadelphia Eagles this season, completing 6 of 9 passes for 113 yards and a touchdown, and would be the Packers' likely starting quarterback in 2023 if they traded Rodgers.

ESPN's Rich Cimini and Rob Demovsky contributed to this report.

KY Jets Fan and azhar80 like this.
  2. Brook!

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

No brainer if he’s committed to play.

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I appreciate the "update" Brook, but to those of us here following the Jets every move and dissecting it with surgeon's precision, I don't think there's a nay news here. We're all still waiting to see if "Groundhog Rodgers" sees his shadow or not.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Brook!

you rather keep the Groundhog thread stay open and merge this with that? I am fine with that :)

This is the first time Jets are approaching Packers and I believe they wouldn't do it if somehow they didn't have some back door confirmation from Rodgers camp allowing this to happen.

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I guess we're all in the dark for another four days.

ouchy and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I doub't they have any indication from Rodgers side yet but if this is the way the Jets are heading then it is a good idea now to see if the 2 teams can come to a rough agreement on all the parameters of the trade like when the bonuses would be paid and by whom and of course draft pick compensatoon.

SOJAZ likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

No, having one thread is fine with me, you're the boss.:) It's just that there was no official confirmation from the Jets, only "informed speculation", which most of us assumed was happening behind the scenes for a while now. I mean there's no prohibition on teams inquiring about making trades at any time, so given the Jets hiring of Hackett, it's a pretty safe bet they had had some preliminary talks with GB to see if a Rodgers trade is even feasible.

In any case, this article is mostly repeating what most of us here have speculated all along. But what else do have to occupy our obsessive Jets thinking about?:p

9. Brook!

Aha. I hear you. Thanks for the context. Have been disconnected from Jets and outside world since last Sunday to be honest. Today is the first day I am back to checking on what's going on. Okay, since this is the new development, let's keep this thread open and discuss next steps here.

Also Carr is becoming free too. He won't accept a trade to Saints. Who do you want and why?

10. ColoradoContrails

The key word there is trade. He hasn't said he wouldn't sign there, only that he doesn't want to be traded there, presumably because any trade would require N.O. to give up assets which doesn't benefit Carr or the Saints.

I still think he's going there, and am almost certain he won't come to the Jets.

As for who I want, I'm still hoping for Rodgers. He makes too much sense for the Jets all things considered. But being a long time Jets fan, my pessimism tells me this likely won't happen, or if it does, it will be wildly tipped in favor of GB and Rodgers to the detriment of the Jets. But depending on how out of balance that actually becomes, it's still the best move IMO.

After Rodgers, I'd prefer trading for Tannehill if they can get him reasonably, and failing that, probably Jimmy G. I really don't want to contemplate settling for anything less than that. A "wildcard" move might be Geno who seems to have matured, and who might provide some "big brother" support to Zach.

I know I'm in the "lunatic fringe", but if none of that pans out, I'd hope that Zach has a miraculous resurrection and can step back into the starting role, but I know that's highly unlikely. But at that point I think we're pretty fucked.

The other critical thing that HAS to happen is that Douglas fixes the OL. If he does that, it gives whoever the QB is - even Zach - a much better chance of succeeding.

PJ4Ever, Nyjets4eva and azhar80 like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Contrails I believe is correct : This is a real "reveal" or something unofficially back channeled now "official"

We have Rogers old OC Hackett..but will the Big Dog come home to Roost ?or is he really "chicken"? haha..this sounds like a Coup or Mini Disaster for our GM Douglas

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The Jets are all in on Rodgers. If they don't get him, they won't pursue Carr but instead, find a bridge QB to keep the seat warm until Zach Wilson becomes a NFL QB hopefully before his rookie deal is over. I think the Jets are praying this will work out like Brady to the Bucs. I don't see it nor do I see a Plan B in case Rodgers decides to either stay on sabbatical or stay put in GB.

13. ColoradoContrails

Well I don't see a good Plan B if Rodgers doesn't come to the Jets. That's why I said if none of the things I outlined happen, I'd just as soon see Zach put back as QB #1 (assuming he's shown improvement in the areas he needs to, and assuming Hackett has a plan for him) as waste time and money on any of the other retreads.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The problem is Rodgers is 39 and there can be a huge drop off in his play at any time and that includes 2023. What compensation is this going to cost? It’s not like the Jets are completely rebuilt and ready to go with a new QB - the OL needs at least another OT and a C (I was hoping for that order in the upcoming draft) and the LB corp can use a little retooling. They need another full offseason …. Trading away let’s say a first and a second round pick for one or two years of a past his prime Rodgers will set this team back in my opinion.

Personally - and I know I’m in the minority - I would continue to build the team through the draft with some FAs (nothing that breaks the bank) and maybe sign a guy like JG for QB. He won’t cost as much as Rodgers and he has been to a SB. If it doesn’t work out draft another in 2024….roster wise the team would be a much better place by then. Just my two cents …

burf likes this.
  15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

If anything is going to force Rodgers into retirement, it’s the opportunity to play for the Jets.

Can they switch the Jeopardy studio to New Jersey?

Brook!, SOJAZ and The Dark Knight like this.
  16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The problem with putting ZW back in is it leads to a regime change blowout at the end of the season. It's possible that Woody wants that type of finality where it is just crystal clear that everybody has to go. However it's really hard to market regime change to a fan base that has missed the playoffs 13 years in a row unless you wind up with Harbaugh or somebody of that caliber as the replacement. Hiring some personnel guy to his first GM job and another DC to his first HC job is just going to be a rotten eggs smell all over the Jets headed into 2024.

And ZW is 90% likely to just blow out next season. If he couldn't handle the pressure last year or this imagine what will be going through his head next season when the Jets are 2-4 and the backpages are calling for JD and Saleh's scalps?

18. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

19. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Can you imagine what's going through Rodgers head at this moment, this is the equivalent to going from living in the playboy mansion all your life, to living in skid row in a dumpster

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The question Rodgers has to be asking himself is whether he's better off getting booed in Green Bay for the first time in his career or making the same cash on the eastern seaboard.

The reality is that there's almost no way he's going to be worth the $100M he is due. The contract was an overreach by GB when it was signed and somebody is going to have to pay the freight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.