ESPN is predicting a week 1 loss

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by greenbeanz, Sep 6, 2008.

1. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

Audibles: AFC East Week 1 preview

September 5, 2008 4:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

New York Jets at Miami Dolphins, 1 p.m. ET

One month ago, nobody could have envisioned the Jets and Dolphins being the sexiest Week 1 game in the AFC East. They combined to win five games last year.

But the elements have changed, and fans haven't stopped drooling for weeks.

The Jets pulled off the biggest blockbuster trade in franchise history and obtained future Hall of Fame QB Brett Favre. The Dolphins wound up with a fine hand-me-down, signing Chad Pennington and giving him an opportunity for immediate retribution.

Sunday's storylines also include Dolphins football czar Bill Parcells lifting the curtain on his latest project -- against one of his former teams, no less. Dolphins rookie head coach Tony Sparano will make his debut against Eric Mangini, who is from another branch on the Parcells coaching tree. Mangini for the first time will be squaring off to some degree with his former mentor. Dolphins RB Ricky Williams is making his eleventy-sixth comeback and the Jets' rebuilt offensive line will be on display.

So there's some stuff to watch -- if you're into that kind of thing.

Most intriguing about the latest installment of this illustrious AFL rivalry, however, are the QB subplots. Aside from special teams, either Favre or Pennington will be on the field throughout.

The Dolphins might hold a significant advantage with Pennington. He spent eight years with the Jets and was with them through voluntary workouts, minicamp and the first two weeks of training camp.

When he lines up behind C Samson Satele and surveys the defense, it should feel like taking a ride through the old neighborhood. Pennington is the most efficient passer in NFL history and is known as one of the most cerebral. It will be interesting to see how he integrates the familiarity.

Favre, meanwhile, is learning a system and teammates Pennington knows better than he does. Favre showed proficiency with Brian Schottenheimer's playbook in the preseason, but does he know enough of the calls to make them work in Week 1?

For this game anyway, the edge should be Pennington's.

Prediction: Dolphins 24, Jets 21

2. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Ah negative press. I LOVE it! We go thru this shit every year.

3. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

Who cares? I mean really.

We already know this is the case, people will hate on The Jets no matter what until The Jets prove they are more than 'paper' contenders.

They go out there and jolly stomp The Phins, there will be people who'll say, it was only The Dolphins.

We beat the Pats, they'll say the Pats are a team in decline. The Jets won't catch a break in the public eye so why do Jets fans care what the media and opposing fans say anymore?

4. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Good. That means we'll rout them.

5. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

The Jets should win this game. But i can't say i'm over confident. I can see Chad coming out like he did for us in 02. The guy has a lot to prove especially this week.

6. MeanJoeGreen

MeanJoeGreen New Member

This is so true. Until the Jets EARN respect by going say 4-0 before the break, then you'll start to earn a little respect. But then again there will ALWAYS be naysayers for this franchise, so I don't put to much stock into what they say. The Jets need to just take care of there business and start winning games.

7. Jetastic

Jetastic Member

A lot of fans have already overlooked this game for the Pats next week...I for one am not overlooking any game and think that this game could be close, but we will see

8. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

The Jets could swap all their players with the Pats, and the so called "experts" would still predict a Week 1 upset. Welcome to being a Jets fan.

9. nyjetsguy

nyjetsguy New Member

Both QB's have alot to prove week one. I just hope the jets don't overlook week one and start looking ahead to the Pats at home in week two. If this doesn't happen, i think we should win!

10. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

I agree 100%. I feel like on paper we should win this game, but there's always the X factor. I can totally see one turnover or special teams play deciding this game.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

As I remember, we beat the Dolphins 40-13 with Kellen Clemens last year in Miami. They have improved since then, and the Jets have even more. Those numbers add up to a 60-10 Jets win, but I will just take a win. It doesn't have to be by 50.

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

What the fuck does it matter if YOU or we overlook a game? We are not playing the game so this has no affect on it. Furthermore, everyone knows about Chad and his "intellectual" ability at absorbing material, they will not underestimate Chad.

Last thing, ESPN is so watered down now, it's tired. Stop all this ESPN bullshit.

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Believe it or not there are a lot of writers who are flat out pissed that the Jets got Favre and a lot of them are probably the same ones who were and are flat out pissed that the Jets won SB 3. Never expect kind words from the press and you already have the game beat.

14. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Totally agree, the 1st thing I thought of when I read it was...
    Yes!!! :up:

15. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

BFD........... I predict my balls will itch sometime today.

16. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

I don’t remember Chad getting a first down against out D in the green and white game when the defense wasn’t aloud to touch him and now he is going to light us up?

Whatever

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

So the edge goes to Pennington but not the Dolphins...ok

18. Bill Belicheat

Bill Belicheat New Member

:rofl:

30-17 JETS
    :jets::finssuck:

19. ITALIAN ICE 12

ITALIAN ICE 12 New Member

This is very ESPNish to diss us, but it seems to only be this guy because most on ESPN that ive seen, have the Jets winning

20. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Honestly...I wouldn't be totally surprised if we did lose this game. Personally I think we should dominate the Phins...but this could be a much tougher game than it should be.