ESPN 30 For 30 - Marcus Dupree

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by The Great American, Nov 11, 2010.

1. The Great American

The Great American Well-Known Member

Did anyone watch this the other evening? It may be a southern thing having grown up in the South watching Herschel Walker and Bo Jackson as a kid but I really enjoyed this documentary.

I do have one quick question. What was your perception on the Rev. from Hattiesburg? Was he a good guy or a bad guy? I never got a handle on him.

2. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Saw it the other day thought it was truly sad being so young I had never heard of the story before and marcus seems like a great kid just led by the wrong people . Rev was a bad guy he tried to play it off like he had no wrong doing but obviously he was the one who took the money .

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Reverend Fairley was a manipulative, greedy piece of shit. His "wisdom" literally ruined Dupree's life.

4. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Yeah I agree with Mr. E that guy was a dick.

I had never heard of Dupree before seeing the previews for this one and that story was incredible. The sad thing is that we are still seeing the same problems in NCAA football.

As far as the football player goes, I don't think I have ever seen someone make moving so fast and with so much power look so effortless. He barely looked like he was trying while he was running over 4 guys at once and outrunning everyone else.

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I saw Dupree's first NFL game.
    Sometime that season is when I first really heard about the guy. I was too young when he played college ball. I do not remember watching the USFL in 1984. I watched a lot of USFL action in 1985, though. He got injured very early in the season with Portland in 1985, so I didn't see him play that year either. From 1986-89 he was a ghost. So really 1990 was the first year in which I had heard of the guy.

Dupree made the Rams roster after having not played for five years. That was amazing to me. I was rooting for him to have a big game late in that 1990 season and then become a starter in 1991. That wasn't to be, but at least he was in the league for two seasons, started a couple games, and scored a touchdown.