Entirely Hypothetical: Darnold or Mayfield?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Apr 10, 2019.

?

Trade Darnold for Mayfield?

1. Yes

8.0%
  2. No

92.0%
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Things have been a bit slow in the Jets forum, so here's a hypothetical (which obviously will never happen). Say the football gods make you GM of the Jets, take over Dorsey's mind, and make him offer you the opportunity to trade Darnold for Mayfield straight up. Do you do it? And why or why not? I'm curious to see how this poll turns out because virtually nobody on a Browns board would agree to it. And I think most non-Jets/Browns fans would take Mayfield over Darnold.

2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I think we have the better QB. If Darnold falls short then it will probably be due to inferior coaching.

3. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

I think Mayfield is the better player now and will require less development to reach his ceiling. That said, I think he would be a trainwreck in this city with this franchise. Darnold was the best fit for this team. For those reasons I wouldn't make this trade.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

My list this time last year was
    Darnold
    Rosen
    Mayfield
    Allen

Soooo ... No I’m not trading

FJF likes this.
  5. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

There both good I still take Sam.
    Sam has that it factor.
    Baker good too but he has the asshole factor

jetsclaps and Sam Hammer like this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I wanted Baker because-

a) I thought he'd light a fire under a team rendered comatose by Sleepy the Dwarf...aka Todd Bowles.

b) I was certain the Giants would pick Sam Darnold at #2.

I'm happy with how things played out.

7. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I love Darnold and he is going to be a good/great one, but I studied the hell out of Baker Mayfield leading up to that draft. He is going to be the best QB in that class.

#7 PennyandtheJets, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    dmarz45, NCJetsfan and Acad23 like this.
  8. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

Can we get a ban here ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Leave it alone ...roll with Sam

They are both great QBs

Mr mittens likes this.
  10. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Mayfield is better now. Darnold will be better in 5 years.

rickjet, FJF and BudJet like this.
  11. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

I would want to keep Sam. Mayfield played in 48 career college games to Darnold's 27 career college games. Mayfield is 2 years and some change older than Sam. So age combined with more playing time in college going into their rookie season is going to give Mayfield the edge (as of now) experience wise. In two years when Sam is Mayfield's age I think he will be the better QB. Sam also just seems to have this calmness to him and Mayfield has cockiness. Mayfield is a good QB but of course I am biased to our guy.

dmw, Footballgod214 and themorey like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I definitely agree that Mayfield is the better player right now. I think Sam may have a higher ceiling however. A key point is that Sam is still only 21 and Mayfield will be 24 next week. I don't think Mayfield would be a trainwreck in this city at all. Why do you think that? I think his cockiness and bravado would fit right in with New York and his feisty/fiery competitive spirit may be just the thing this franchise needs to change the culture. I would sorely be tempted to, but might not due to the age difference, and the fact that each has already developed chemistry and a relationship with players on their teams, and changing now could screw that all up.

If we could go back to last year's draft and have Cleveland take Darnold and the Jets take Mayfield, then I would probably do that. Baker would have probably kicked Bates' and Bowles' sorry asses.

#12 NCJetsfan, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  13. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Dude. Just no.

I’ve been asleep for the last 3 years or so but god damn. You’re better then this thread. Don’t make me hate on you

joe likes this.
  14. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Definitely not. Darnold was the best QB going into the draft and I think he'll be the best when all is said and done. He looked very good going down the stretch this year, much better than Mayfield, even though Mayfield had a better overall year statistically.

Obviously it's too soon to judge, but if we see that same Darnold from the 2nd half of the year, he will eventually be better than Mayfield.

#14 Sam Hammer, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Mr mittens, themorey and Mogriffjr like this.
  15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I would stick with Darnold, I guess, because of his youth and lack of experience. They were actually very similar to each other in their first six games, with Darnold slightly better (Darnold: 59.8% completion pct, 7.52 YPA, 9 TD, 7 INT, 83.7 rating; Mayfield: 58.3% completion pct, 6.60 YPA, 8 TD, 6 INT, 78.9 rating). Mayfield was far, far better in the middle of the season (Darnold [3 games]: 47.3% completion pct, 5.35 YPA, 2 TD, 7 INT, 43.3 rating; Mayfield [4 games]: 71.8% completion pct, 8.92 YPA, 10 TD, 4 INT, 111.8 rating). They were very similar to each other in the last four games of the season (Darnold: 64.0% completion pct, 7.45 YPA, 6 TD, 1 INT, 99.1 rating; Mayfield: 65.2% completion pct, 8.23 YPA, 9 TD, 4 INT, 100.8 rating).

Mayfield had the better year, for sure, but it all comes from a few games in the middle of the season when he was incredibly good and Darnold was incredibly bad (and hurt). If you believe that the end of the season is a better gauge of where they stand at the end of their rookie years, it's that they're very similar to each other. If you accept that (which Browns fans obviously wouldn't), you could hope that Darnold is a little less of a finished product, and therefore might have a higher ceiling. In point of fact, however, you could easily make the argument that the evidence is that Mayfield's floor is much higher than Darnold's, and therefore he is the better choice. Given that, probably neither team would want to make a trade like that.

Brook! and abyzmul like this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Sam Darnold. Enough said.

Mr mittens likes this.
  17. twown

twown Well-Known Member

If Darnold had been taken 1 and we'd ended up with Baker at 3, and if Baker played for us like he played for Cleveland last year, and if this poll were conducted in reverse, almost no one here would agree to trade Baker either.

When two things are close to equal, it's hard to trade your baby.

18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I was a big fan of Mayfield coming out but I don't think his personality is best suited for this market... he seems to be unable to ignore whats being said about him and has to go after everyone on social media that has even the slightest negative comment about him.
    I'm extremely happy with the way things turned out for us .

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Like I've posted before ..don't be surprised if Sam and Baker face off in the AFC Championship

Especially as the GOAT QB is on his way out

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'll stick with Darnold. Mayfield proved to be the most NFL ready coming out, we'll see who has the best career.

slimjasi, 101GangGreen101 and Brook! like this.