EA/NFL Resign. License now till 2013

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by xmscott, Feb 15, 2011.

1. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

http://www.operationsports.com/news/468890/eanfl-extend-nfl-exclusive-license-by-one-year-to-2013/

Booooooooooo. Done with this franchise. Or lack of one because franchise mode is all i care about and EA sucks at it.

2. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

whatever the fuck ever. since that license was signed i've pretty much been done with football sims, since madden continually keeps releasing shit.

if the shortening of this deal does anything to shorten the MLB License deal, i'll start doing backflips. MVP Baseball needs to return.

3. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

...I thought the last two Maddens were awesome.

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I wonder what DeMaurice Smith's rating will be in Madden 2012

5. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I have no choice but to buy the next flawed EA Sports football project, I enjoy the game despite its flaws too much.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

and my madden boycott continues.

7. Stanky Leg

Stanky Leg New Member

I really enjoy the NCAA series that EA puts out but absolutely detest the Madden series. there's 120 bucks that I'll be saving myself over the upcoming years.

8. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Absolute Bullshit! Fuk Both these 2!

If you're an ESPN NFL 2K5 fan who happens to be single today, then this news isn't going to make your Valentine's Day any better.

According to a SportsBusiness Journal report, the NFL is doing Electronic Arts a big favor: the league has reduced the fees for its exclusive contract with EA Sports for the publisher's Madden NFL videogames, and in addition, has extended the deal by a year -- through 2013. The ominous prospect of an NFL lockout (and accordingly, the possibility that there will be no football season this fall) is leaving in the lurch companies who have similar licensing contracts with the NFL, but then, there's nothing quite like Madden.

As a result of the looming lockout, EA made conservative forecasts for its revenue this year, since Madden is such a perennial big seller -- in a recent investors' call, EA CFO Eric Brown explained that the publisher's financial expectations take into account the assumption that a lockout will occur, and that it will wipe out the 2011 NFL season. In addition, the publisher reportedly requested in October that its scheduled payments to the NFL for 2011 be reduced by $30 million.

The new terms of the agreement were not disclosed, but Wayne Weaver -- owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars and chairman of the league's Business Ventures Committee -- noted that the restructured contract is an acknowledgment of the "difficult environment" that the potential lockout has created. It's a mutually beneficial agreement between the NFL and one of its "core partners," said Weaver:

Maybe it makes some sense to extend something out longer and give our partner some relief in the short term but gain something on the back end.
    So the deal, which was originally signed in 2005 for three years and renewed for another five years in 2008, has now been extended for one more year. That means that the next NFL-licensed football videogame that could possibly have direct competition is Madden NFL 15.Don't hold your breath, though. The exclusive contract is simply too lucrative for both sides -- the five-year agreement that was signed in 2008 is estimated to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars in guarantees and royalties -- so it would be silly to let the deal ever run out as long as it remains profitable.

We contacted EA Sports for this story, but the publisher had no comment.

9. Jets201

Jets201 New Member

Too bad...Madden has suffered since EA won exclusive rights. I wish they'd do half as well a job on Madden as they do with FIFA.

10. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

11. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Half you guys "boycotting" the game still buy it. Don't give me that bull.

12. xBleedingGreen62x

haha wow im amazed at all the madden haters in here especially being on a football forum.

Madden 2011 is a great game....

13. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

If you play other games besides Madden on the current gen you know they aren't working hard enough on this game yearly. These systems are capable of a ton, ESPN 2k5 did a good job pushing the original XBOX to the limit. I'm in college so naturally I've been able to try Madden along the way, but I stopped buying in 2009.

I agree swordz, MVP was great. A truly simple yet enjoyable, replayable game. I've got a friend that's played 3 full seasons (+ playoffs, and some spring training).

14. Windeos

Windeos Member

The reason they do a good job with FIFA is because they have massive competition through pro Evo soccer.

By having a soccer competitor it drives up the level of game needed just to get customers to buy the game.

So madden having no competition means crap games being pushed out year on year

15. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Great is a bit much. It is good and I don't have any huge issues like I did with the early 360 games. Speed is still far too dominant in the game. I thought the locomotion system would help but it actually made speed players more effective. The speed wouldn't be as big of an issue if they actually made the defensive players speed realistic. DB's are usually the fastest guys on the field but you always see mediocre DB's get shafted on their speed rating while mediocre WR's are still blazing fast. See Drew Colemans awful speed rating for evidence... who actually thinks LT is faster than Drew Coleman?

One issue that I can't believe is still in the game since it has been around since madden 2001 is the spin move being so dominant. A spin move in this game is always going to make the first guy miss if the offensive player has decent agility.

The last two years they have done a good job laying a nice framework to get the game on par with NHL and FIFA but it isn't there yet.

16. IATA

IATA Trolls

I'm not buying again after this previous abortion. And I had gone 5 years between buying, too. I just have stupid friends.

17. Stanky Leg

Stanky Leg New Member

Exactly. I hadn't bought a Madden game since 2008, and after buying the last installment mostly out of curiosity and peer pressure, it should be an even longer wait for the next purchase.

18. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

They go out of their way to fix one issue while ignoring the rest.

19. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

I can't really blame them for doing this; with no competition and the exclusive license, why bother? There isn't any pressure to make the perfect NFL sim every year. Fixing one issue per year also makes it seem like the Madden franchise is trying to make progress even if the game is still really flawed every freaking year. This is why the license sucks.

20. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

i buy the game yearly but theres so many things wrong with the game...

-the ball still goes through people (and goalposts)
    -people go through people
    -the slot receiver or TE is almost ALWAYS open
    -play-action for the most part is terrible
    -you still see the linebackers and receivers magically slide into the lane of the ball to catch it when they would have no business doing so
    -franchise mode is neglected
    -stupid clipping calls on kick returns when your ballcarrier is close to the endzone
    -virtually no pass interference ever gets called
    -as somebody stated earlier, speed is what wins you games