Draft Profile - WR Kadarius Toney (Florida)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PennyandtheJets, Feb 12, 2021.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Should the Jets draft Kadarius Toney? I really liked what I saw on tape. He shows a ridiculous ability to make big plays happen. He is more shifty than he is fast. Very good fit for the scheme though and would compliment our current WRs. What do you guys think?

Please like and subscribe to the channel for more New York Jets offseason content ✈️

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Looks like a good prospect for us to consider on day 2. Would you prefer him over Bateman?

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Most likely, he won't last until day 2. I think he will go somewhere in the second half of the 1st round.

4. PennyandtheJets

I like both, but I really like Toney for this team/scheme. Think he compliments Mims very well too.

5. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

this is what I think too, he’s so damn shifty + hard to cover... will be a Qb’s best friend type in the NFL on 3rd downs.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I definitely would in terms of pure talent and potential. I haven't seen anything about either of their character or whether they were team captains, have off-field issues or whatever, but based on pure talent and potential, I'd take Toney. I could be mistaken, but I think Bateman is very similar to Mims. Toney isn't and is a better complement to Mims and Crowder.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  7. PennyandtheJets

I’m going to get around to Bateman at some point.

(I’m shifting my focus/videos towards Free Agency from now until it begins)

After that I’m just gonna continue to make more draft breakdowns. Wide receiver class is obviously not as good as last years, but there are a few more I want to breakdown. Bateman, Marshall, Chase, Smith, etc.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I was literally just coming in here to stay this thread lol.

This kid is going to be a stud in the league. He has the perfect game for the modern NFL.

I take him at #23 and don't look back. He learns one year from Crowder as he adjusts to life in the NFL and then dominates.

RochesterJet, themorey and Mogriffjr like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I like Toney a lot. His feet are so damn quick that even if he's not the most reformed route runner yet, it appears as though he is because he's so fluid in and out of his breaks. His balance through contract after the catch is also unbelievable, so he'll be very good at screens and crossing routes.

His biggest concern for me is going to be against press coverage and physical defensive backs early in the route. He's not particularly quick off the line until he gets to his third, fourth, fifth step when he really starts to break. He also has a tendency to sort of rock back in his stance rather then exploding off his power foot.

The good thing is that those things are very coachable especially for someone that has so much raw ability. His contested catch making is a bit of a question mark too to an extent because he didn't have to do it a lot in college since he always got himself so open.

Lon Chaney and Mogriffjr like this.
  10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

huge fan of Toney. I’d be elated if he came here. He can be your guy you just line him up in all types of spots and you get him the ball anywhere on the field and let him wreck games.

11. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Good analysis. I will say this though: the idea that you need to beat press coverage in the NFL is dying. There are so many ways to free up receivers using pre snap motion or lining up in the slot. I wouldn't imagine Toney as a guy who consistently lines up outside the numbers. I see him more in the Tyreek Hill role.

themorey and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

True enough on press. And less teams play it. Tyreek's hard to make a comparison to for me because his body type reminds me of Doug Martin and he literally hops around lol.

Toney reminds me of Stefon Diggs (obviously on a best case scenario scale).

Lon Chaney likes this.
  13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Really like him as a prospect. He’s been on the rise from a 3rd rounder to late first early second. Could be a nice piece at 34 if he’s still there.