Draft Is Full Of Minefields: QB-Needy Teams Galore

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsKickAss, Jan 4, 2021.

1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Mods: I put this in the JETS section rather than the DRAFT section because this thread won't focus on the merits of the draft picks but the Jets and the teams below us.

I'm not sure a tradedown is possible IF we want a QB. Right below us, I see definite or possible teams wanting a QB at #3, 4, 6, 7, and 8. Unless JoeD and the new HC are absolutely neutral between Fields and Wilson, if we trade down we lose control of the ability to choose the QB we really want (assuming that's the way the pair are going).

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

Only Cincy (5), Dallas (10), and Giants (11) do I not see as likely drafting a QB.

#1 JetsKickAss, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  2. JetsKickAss

The Chargers winning of late hurt us.....Houston falling apart and giving Miami their #1 hurts us (if they had waited 1 year, they'd have a better tackle than Tunsil at 1/4th the price for the next 5 years !!!).....Philly being so bad and tanking last night hurts us (not sure they are going to take a QB but they might).

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think sewell is going to be a hotter prospect for the 2 spot. miami and cincy should both want him pretty badly. ATL probably wants defense more then anyhting. I don't see them taking a QB yet. matt ryan is still playing well and has 2-3 more years left. they could also want sewell. their o-line isn't very good either.

Teams looking for a QB possibly are jax (taking tlaw most likely) Jets, and philly.
    I don't see miami taking one (just drafted tua last year 5th overall), ATl has ryan who has a few years left, detriot has stafford who has a few years left, carolina (their offense was good and they have teddy b), denver (they seem to like drew lock), dallas (probably gonna resign dak), NYG (they like jones). next QB needy team will be the niners at 12

JetsKickAss likes this.
  4. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

I could see the Bengals trading up with the Jets to secure Sewell. It could be risky because some other team could then trade up to 3 to secure Fields or Wilson. We would be left with the 3rd best QB

NCJetsfan and JetsKickAss like this.
  5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

For what it would cost to trade up to 2, I don't think it's likely.

6. JetsKickAss

I could see Miami drafting a QB. The guy in the Sun-Sentinel wrote a piece basically asking if Grier/Flores want to hitch their future to Tua or if they want a redo.

BTW....Miami drafted QB's back-to-back in the 1st round in 1966 and 1967 (Griese).

7. JetsKickAss

But if the only player they want is Sewell ?

The key is Miami:
    do they want a QB ? If not, then we could drop but the problem is Atlanta @ 4 wants a QB, too, almost certainly. A trade-down only works if you are dead-neutral on Wilson or Fields or are sure Atlanta will pick the one you don't want.

8. JetsKickAss

Miami may have seen enough on Tua already. The question is....did the OWNER pick him last year ? Because they already have Herbert Envy in South Florida.

Atlanta isn't waiting. They have the pick...the QB's are there. They are almost certainly taking a QB unless Matt Ryan signs an extension before the draft.

Detroit has a new HC and new GM and they have 0 playoff wins under Stafford. They are likely to draft one if one is there.

Denver wants a QB but may be too far away.

Dallas and Giants I agree with.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There's going to be a lot of movement in the league as far as quarterbacks are concerned before the draft. So there will likely be more clarity surrounding all of this when free agency starts.

Do these players with huge contracts move anywhere?
    Matt Ryan
    Matthew Stafford
    Carson Wentz

Where do these free agents ultimately end up?
    Dak Prescott
    Jameis Winston
    Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Mitchell Trubisky
    Jacoby Brissett
    Cam Newton
    Andy Dalton

Do these players retire?
    Philip Rivers (FA)
    Ben Roethlisberger (massive cap hit if not extended)
    Drew Brees (massive cap hit if not extended/doesn't retire)

10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

What has Tua shown to not even consider taking a QB?
    Ryan can get moved if they want draft capital to blow the entire thing up
    Stafford, same thing as above.
    Teddy is average and they have an out after the '21 season so can have their guy sit this year.

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Its a sign...stay where you are, don't be cute and draft Fields

12. GasedAndConfused

miami isn't going to give up on a 5th overall rookie after 1 partial season. sewell makes more sense to them. ATL might take a QB but i don't see them moving on from ryan yet. their pass offense is still really good. they need an o-line and defense. i think they go defense and take rosseau. stafford has been a top 10 QB in the NFL for nearly a decade and only 32.

ouchy likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

the panthers can be an option but teddy is still young and their offense was fine. even without c-mac. I see them going defense but pitts is also an option
    the falcons need defense badly. rosseau is likely the pick for them.
    lions also need some defense.

14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t worry man. I don’t think we are trading down unless we love or at least can live with a QB that we can take later or someone is ambitious enough to fix Darnold.

We have enough draft capital and salary to build the team regardless if we trade down or not. If we drafted a QB and then traded Darnold for a 2nd and 4th pick, we would be looking at having a remaining 1st round pick, 2 2nd round pick, 2 3rds, 2 4ths, 2 5ths, 1 6th and 1 7th. That should be plenty for Douglas to bring more talent here.

dmw, JetsKickAss and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Hopefully, it's not likely because JD has no desire to trade down because he plans on taking a QB at #2.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Correction: We don't have a 7th round pick. Along with Jordan Willis, it was traded to the 49ers for their 6th round pick.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If I were the GM, I would not trade back if I wanted a QB. However, I'm not the GM, Douglas is, and I'm not sure that he values a QB as much as many do. He came out of Baltimore and Newsome's org. where they did a lot of winning with a team based on defense, strong running, and average QBs. And in Philly, even though they had Wentz, they won the SB with with Foles, his backup. I suspect Douglas thinks that building a consistent winner doesn't require having an elite QB. I could be wrong, and actually hope I am, but that's my gut feeling. If that feeling is correct, I see JD trading back, maybe even multiple times to amass premium picks in order to quickly upgrade the talent level. If a QB he likes is available after he does that - maybe in the late first round or second round - he might take him.

As I said, this is NOT my preferred path, but I do think it is JD's.

tomdeb, chandler, Red Menace and 4 others like this.
  18. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Philly has given Wentz a big extension and drafted/started Hurts. You really see them bringing in another QB?

19. JetsKickAss

If they dump Wentz, yeah.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Doug Pederson's sole goal in this life is to ruin as many quarterbacks as he can so that everyone knows how great Nick Foles was for 5 games in 2017. He tried to do a double whammy last night in that regard.

James Hasty and PennyRoyal10 like this.