Draft Experts: Trey Lance and Ja’Marr Chase

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jerryjeudy, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Both are very exciting players who put points on the board

There is no need to spend so much draft capital at the T position

A team doesn’t need the best bookend tackles in the league to be successful

A starting QB and a star WR is more important moving forward

Has anybody watched all of Trey’s games?

Which WRs make your top 3?

Who do you think will be the 1st 3 WRs taken in the draft?

Jets can always trade down if their plan is to take a WR...

2. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Watched plenty of Chase. He’s as good as Julio Jones or Megatron type impact

next up is Devonta Smith. He is a clone of Odell and Landry with his thin frame but high skill.

jaylen waddle is a nice pick but more slot oriented.
    Those are top 3

#2 WoodyHarrelson, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    Jerryjeudy and Brook! like this.
  3. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

Trey Lance is a way more raw Josh Allen type prospect.

Like Allen he has a cannon arm. Good mobility.

He seems to lack spatial awareness, doesn't throw with anticipation, can't do progressions in an NFL WCO.

So if you draft him you are getting a guy farther behind than Josh Allen or Jordan Love last year. And you need to get the exact right OC or he will look WAY worse than Darnold.

4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Chase reminds me of AJ Green. Smooth and definitely a number 1. Worries me he sat out though...

Davonte Smith is AB in his prime. Excellent route runner with speed and quickness. Definitely a number 1.

Chris Olave reminds me of Odell. Polished route runner with strong hands and gets separation.

Jerryjeudy likes this.
  5. WoodyHarrelson

Davonte Smith seems high character too. Would be very happy with him.

Leicester Jet and amuck57 like this.
  6. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I wasn't impressed with Trey Lance. He didn't look bad, but he's a project, and definitely no a project for a new coach trying to rebuild the worst team in history.

Of the QBs not named Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson and Kyle Trask are the two who I think are the most ready to go out of the gate.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree. Two dominant tackles to anchor the line for a decade. Build the line, cultivate it, and keep it together as much as possible. Give your QB, whoever it is, a chance to be great.

Of course, if your coaching staff are a bunch of knuckleheads, then it doesn't matter what players you have.

Pepsiguy5 and b.reyes16 like this.
  8. WoodyHarrelson

If we have all these project or questionable QBs, you need to roll with Sam one more year.because you can build a very good team with our cos space and draft picks that maybe a journey man QBs could take over if not in the running. See colts.

Jerryjeudy likes this.
  9. I like Lance quite a bit. Yes hes raw.He will need a yr to digest a full playbook & clean up some things.

But hes the total package in terms of athleticism/Arm talent/foot mechanics/delivery.

He also comes from a system that despite being FCS level is highly respected for developing QBs see Carson Wentz.

He doesnt take a backseat to Wilson arm strength wise though ill still give wilson the edge by the slimmest of margins. But he is a better athlete & better throwing on the run.

#9 KurtTheJetsFan, Dec 22, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2020
    King Koopa likes this.
  10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Also something in my mind is that one of the (or maybe the only) main knocks on Becton is concern about him being susceptible to injury and we've even seen that happen this season with fairly disastrous consequences. With Sewell on board if that happens he can just rotate over and your still in business. As opposed to some guy named McDermit or whatever it is trotting in and within seconds Sam is getting slaughtered.

Sewell would almost represent an insurance policy as well as a stud player.

All that said though I'd be pretty happy if the Jets managed to trade down, get another pick or whatever, and draft Chase.

b.reyes16, mrjet80 and sozopol like this.
  11. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

I think Lance is a boom/bust prospect...
    Not someone the Jets can afford to wiff on.

Chase is NOT an elite athlete like Julio Jones or or DK Metcalf, he’s ultra polished, tough and competitive - like a Steve or Ju Ju Smith... I like Chase but I’m only taking a DK Metcalf type freak with a top 10 pick...

With that if skill player is the direction the Jets go, I want Pitts...

12. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Just a personal opinion, but I’m totally against taking WR high in the first round. Go back through the last 10 years of receivers taken in the high 1s: it’s almost all letdowns (and mostly HUGE misses)

Then go through the list of the top receivers in the NFL today. Barely any high first rounders on there at all.

I know it’s extremely early, but even from this last draft class the most promising young receivers are all outside of that vaunted “Big 3” we kept debating about.

Take receivers day 2.

Pepsiguy5, ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Are you worried about Lance not playing for almost a year? If we were to sit him behind a vet QB like Flacco, he'd be going on more than a year of playing meaningful football.

14. Yeah concerns me alittle but thats why i like him in a trade down rather than at #2.Alot of players have sat out this yr after opting out.True not many QBs

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

FWIW, Rodgers sat for 3 years, Rivers for 2 years, and Mahomes 1 year.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  16. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I like Lance better than all not named Trevor Lawrence...He will be the steal of the draft if he doesn’t go top 5. Just hope Joe Douglas sees it

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I want Zach Wilson and Kedarious Toney (WR from Florida). Kid is explosive and he’s a guy you can use like a Tyreek Hill, Henry Ruggs.

18. Love Kedarious in the 3rd round.

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Chase was my top WR prospect for a while, but Smith has closed the gap. Olave and Bateman would be great consolation prizes with the Seattle 1st rounder or pick 34. Good hands and route running mean they can contribute in year 1.

Mogriffjr and Brook! like this.
  20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

he likely won’t be there. He’s experiencing a ton of helium to his stock and he’s showing up on mocks in the late first.

I think Toney would compliment Mims well, a guy who can line up all over the field, has the speed and quick twitch ability to be a matchup nightmare and is IMO one that can be a star in the right spot.

I feel he’s definitely going to be around with Seattle’s first rounder and I, myself wouldn’t hesitate to grab Toney there. Devonta, Chase and Waddle are likely the top guys with a few other GOOD potential first rounders. This looks like another great WR class.