Draft and Offseason: Take One

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetFanInPA, Feb 1, 2014.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

As of 2/1, this would be my ideal off-season plan.

RELEASE
    - CB Antonio Cromartie (saves 9.5M)
    - QB Mark Sanchez (saves 8.3M)
    - WR Santonio Holmes (saves 8.25M)

RESIGN
    - OT Austin Howard (4yr/12M)
    - K Nick Folk (3yrs/6M)
    - DL Leger Douzable (2yr/2.5M)
    - CB Antonio Cromartie (1yr/3M)
    - OLB Calvin Pace (1yr/1.7M)
    - TE Jeff Cumberland (2yr/2.2M)
    - CB Ellis Lankster (1yr/630K)
    - CB Aaron Berry (1yr/630K)
    - CB Darrin Walls (1yr/630K)
    - CB Isaiah Trufant (1yr/630K)

SIGN
    - QB Josh McCown (1yr/4.5M)
    - WR James Jones (3yr/12M)
    - OG/C Kevin Boothe (2yr/2.5M)
    - OG Jon Asamoah (3yr/8M)
    - ILB Desmond Bishop (1yr/700K)

EXTEND
    - DL Muhammad Wilkerson (6yr/48M)

DRAFT
    1. Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
    2. Davante Adams, WR, Fresno St
    3a. Jeremiah Attoachu, OLB/DE, Georgia Tech
    3b. Ahmad Dixon, S, Baylor
    4a. Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida
    4comp. Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
    5. James White, RB, Wisconsin
    6a. T.J. Jones, WR, Notre Dame
    6comp. James Morris, ILB, Iowa
    7a. Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorado St
    7comp. Jay Bromley, DL, Syracuse

UDFA considerations: QB Chase Rettig, Boston College; RB Adam Muema, San Diego St; WR Eric Ward, Jonottan Harrison, C/OG, Florida; Texas Tech; DE/OLB Cassius Marsh, UCLA; Kasim Edebali DE/OLB, Boston College; ILB Steele Divtto, Boston College; S Dezmen Southward, Wisconsin; P Pat O’Donnell, Miami (FL)

FULL DEPTH CHART ENTERING CAMP
    QB: Geno Smith – Josh McCown (N) – Aaron Murray (R) – Matt Simms – Chase Rettig (R)
    RB: Chris Ivory – Bilal Powell – Mike Goodson – James White (R) – Alex Green – John Griffin – Adam Muema (R)
    FB: Tommy Bohanon
    WR: James Jones (N) – Jeremy Kerley – T.J. Jones (R) – Greg Salas – Clyde Gates – Eric Ward (R) – Vidal Hazelton
    WR: Davante Adams (R) – David Nelson – Stephen Hill – Saalim Hakim – Dwight Jones – Michael Campbell
    TE: Eric Ebron (R) – Jeff Cumberland – Crockett Gillmore (R) – Chris Pantale – Zach Sudfeld – Colin Anderson
    LT: D’Brickashaw Ferguson – Ben Ijalana
    LG: Brian Winters – Kevin Boothe (N) – Patrick Ford – Jacolby Ashworth
    C: Nick Mangold – Caleb Schlauderaff – Dalton Freeman
    RG: Jon Asamoah (N) – Will Campbell – Jonotthan Harrison
    RT: Austin Howard – Oday Aboushi

DE: Muhammad Wilkerson – Jay Bromley (R) – Tevita Finau
    NT: Damon Harrison – Kenrick Ellis – T.J. Barnes
    DE: Sheldon Richardson – Leger Douzable
    OLB: Quinton Coples – Antwan Barnes – Jermaine Cunningham – Cassius Marsh (R)
    ILB: David Harris – Desmond Bishop (N) – Steele Divitto (R)
    ILB: Demario Davis – James Morris (R) – Tim Fugger
    OLB: Calvin Pace – Jeremiah Attoachu (R) – Troy Davis – Kasim Edebali (R)
    CB: Antonio Cromartie – Darrin Walls – Jaylen Watkins (R) – Ellis Lankster – Lowell Rose
    CB: Dee Milliner – Kyle Wilson – Isaiah Trufant – Aaron Berry – Ras-I Dowling – Nick Taylor
    FS: Dawan Landry – Jaiquawn Jarrett – Josh Bush – Brandon Hardin
    SS: Antonio Allen – Ahmad Dixon (R) – Rontez Miles – Dezmen Southward (R)

K: Nick Folk
    P: Ryan Quigley – Pat O’Donnell (R)
    LS: Tanner Purdum

POST-OFFSEASON ROSTER EVALUATION
    QB: Geno will open camp taking snaps with the first team, but he’ll have to earn it from then on out. If Josh McCown shows as well he did in 2013 leading up to opening day, he may start. Aaron Murray will challenge Matt Simms for a roster spot and maybe even playing time down the line. Chase Rettig will challenge for a practice squad spot.

Backfield: It’s crowded here, but after last year’s injuries and issues, it probably needs to be. Chris Ivory was great as the season went on and Powell was an okay change-of-pace guy. James White will challenge Mike Goodson for his role and or roster spot, but keeping four RBs isn’t out of the question and the order could certainly change. If this bunch can stay healthy, it should be quite effective.

WR: A lot of guys here and there will be a lot of competition, especially on the back end. Jones and Adams will likely start and could form a nice duo. Depth is nice with Kerley, Nelson, Jones and others. Stephen Hill will have another chance to show he can play, but he could also be out of a roster spot by September; there’s decent talent for the big number here.

TE: Ebron will be expected to be a big playmaker for the team and to get better in the future. He’ll likely be backed up by Jeff Cumberland, but could face competition from other young guys such as Gillmore, Sudfield and Pantale.

OL: Austin Howard is locked up and will hopefully continue to be solid and further improve. Hopefully, there’s better play from Mangold and Ferguson, but they’re locked in as starters. Winters has to improve in year two after an underwhelming rookie season in which he transitioned to guard. He won’t be assured of spot with veteran Kevin Boothe and Oday Aboushi around among others. Jon Asamoah should shore up the RG spot with Colon not resigned due to his injury and age. Depth looks solid.

DL: The team’s best unit has few changes and hopefully gets even better. Douzable will be part of the rotation again and some young guys will compete for reserve spots

OLB: There are a lot of guys challenging for edge-rusher spots. Coples got better as the year went on and will be on one side. On the other, Pace will have the edge over rookie Jeremiah Attoachu, but he should contribute at least situationally. Don’t forget that Antwan Barnes is still on the roster, but he could be released if he’s lost a step. There are several young guys competing for roster spots; perhaps at least one will show something.

ILB: It should be Davis and Harris again, but it remains to be seen just how much longer that latter will hold his spot. Bishop is coming off two big injuries, but could be a terrific addition if he returns to health and similar form. Morris and Divitto will challenge for depth roles and a chance to be part of the future at the position

CB: The team will bank on a healthy Cromartie being closer to 2012 form than 2013. It will also bank Milliner continuing to improve. After that, it’s all competition. Wilson is the favorite, though not a lock, to be the nickel back. Rookie Jaylen Watkins will have every chance to be on the field often in 2014. Guys like Trufant, Berry, Lankster and Walls have shown at least decently over the past couple years. The best of them will keep their roster spots.

S: Landry and Allen should be the favorites to start at first, but Dixon will be given every chance to play. There are several other players who will compete for roles on the team

ST: Folk finally gets more than one year and Purdum has been fine. Quigley will face competition for his job from rookie O’Donnell.

#1 JetFanInPA, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Why would McCown sign for 1 year?

_

3. JetFanInPA

He's 35 and contemplating retirement. If it was necessary, I'd give him two years though. He's at the top of this free agent QB class

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i don't hate it, though i think howard is going to get a better offer than 3mil/year. cro back on a 1 year deal might be wishful thinking too.

basically i like how you shaped the roster but i think your money is a bit on the low side.

5. JStokes

That was my point. He's clearly the top free agent QB this year, he's not signing some sweetheart deal for 1 year, regardless if he's contemplating retirement.

He's probably looking for a minimum of 3 years. At least if he has a decent agent.

_

6. JetFanInPA

Certainly possible. Fortunately, they'll have plenty of money to work with so giving some of these guys bigger deals is more than plausible especially since there aren't any very high-cost additions (i.e. Brian Orakpo, Jarius Byrd or Eric Decker)

7. JStokes

Btw you released Alex Green for a whopping savings of $630k :grin: but still have him on the depth chart.

_

8. JetFanInPA

Haha a probably irrelevant, but good catch

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

I could definitely get gown with that draft. Love the first 5 picks aside from Dixon (think we need more of a cover safety like Jimmy Ward). Davante Adams is ranked inside my top 4 for the WR class and I would absolutely love him in the 2nd. If we drafted the the first 3 players like you did, we could draft a punter in the next 2 rounds and Id still be happy.

Being that this is the draft forum, thats the most important part IMO.

But, I think the FA is a little off. I think Wilkerson either doesnt get paid this offseason simply because we have all of the leverage with the 5th year option, or he gets paid more than 8 mil a year. Dont love James Jones; Id like someone younger but he's a solid fallback option. Asomoah would be a great signing. Not sure McCown comes here with that deal, and not sure if Id want him here on anything more than that.

I think that we spend more in FA than you have us to be honest. We HAVE to spend about 22-25 mil just to reach the floor. We have about 40 mil in total to spend. Id like us to sign at least one or two more significant contributors. Also, that money spent on McCown might be better spent on someone like Eric Decker, Golden Tate, TJ Ward, Worilds, ect.

All in all, solid job man. Looks like you put in a lot of work.

#9 laxin, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

It's possible but not probable

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

Yay. A post that provides no insight or knowledge at all.

None of these mocks are not probable. I dont think anyone has ever correctly mocked a team. There's more to say that just "its not probable".

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent post. The best plan I've seen yet. With the exception of Murray and Bromley, I love it and could get on board with that. The Jets don't need another DT. Bromley would be a wasted pick. No way he makes the team. I'm not very high on Murray, either, but could live with it, I guess, if the Jets do take him.

13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

For starters i doubt Ebron falls to 18.. I dont think Idzik would ever sign JJ to a 3 year deal given he is turning 30 in March... McCowan i cant see either considering his age... There is more but i dont want to nit pick a good post.

It's a good mock by the OP and does make some sense considering our needs BUT it's definitely a glass half full approach.

14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If, and that's a BIG if, he signs a sweetheart deal it will be with Chicago. I live in the CHI, McCown loves it year, more importantly is his wife and 4 kids love it. Not to mention, he and Jay Cutler got this bromance thing going. The only thing I could see prying him away from here is an offer he could not turn down (i.e., overpaying him).

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You really think Antonio Cromartie will re-up for just 3 million dollars? Gonna cost more then that, but if you are just throwing #s out there without thinking then nvm my post

16. JStokes

Yeah good point. Taking a nice solid contract to be the backup for the next three years or so is not the worst gig in the world. I think there are plenty of players who would have no problem with that. McCown may not care about the big money or starting elsewhere.

_

17. JetFanInPA

Precise contract figures were tough to determine. For Cromarite, I'd say this contract was reasonable given his atrocious season (one of the league's bottom-ranked CBs) even by his own admission. However, since he was elected to the Pro Bowl :rolleyes:, perhaps he'll have more leverage, but I wouldn't pay him too much more.

For Austin Howard and Jon Asamoah, I had Matt Slauson's 2013 deal in mind along with reading that 2013 Pro Bowl OG Zane Beadles could re-up for 5yrs and $25M. These gave me some rough estimates for linemen contracts based age and caliber player.

Fortunately, with the cap space available, the team can afford to give any of these guys a little more to meet their demands, so the specifics are not essential here, unless I was WAY off on someone's deal.

I'm hoping that teams release some veteran QBs that could also be options for the Jets. Perhaps Matt Schaub or Matt Moore are possibilities as well. I'd just like a better option than David Garrard.

In terms of the back end of the draft, in reality it'd be purely BPA without respect to need really, but that depends on who actually falls on draft day. There are only 5 active-roster-caliber players on the DL, so I thought that adding another body could be helpful. I don't know all that much about Bromley, but he was very productive rushing the passer and has good size for a 3-4 DE.

#17 JetFanInPA, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  18. cromartiecove31

cromartiecove31 New Member

Personally I'm a guy who wants to give up a 3rd round pick for Kirk Cousins, but I think we HAVE to get a better WR than what you gave us, but I love Ebron a ton, and Asamoah as well, I want for at WR, and also I hope we spend a little more than that.....

19. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Dollar amounts and signings are hard to figure out but in general I think this is a pretty good offseason plan, I especially like a lot of the draft picks.

Generally speaking if our offseason resembles this I would be pretty happy. Not planning a parade happy but feel like we've improved enough to make the playoffs next year.

20. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

I have never cared much for James Jones, would rather gamble on Maclin who is a legit #1 WR when healthy. The rest looks pretty interesting though.

#20 Spike_D, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014