Draft a TE?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by jasonjets, Jan 18, 2007.

1. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

Could Zach Miller still be there when we pick with our second 2nd rounder? Or what about Greg Olsen in the 3rd round? Either of those guys I think would be great with one of those picks. Although TE isn't a pressing need, they would be very interesting picks and would definitely compete with Baker for a starting spot. Also they would be cheaper than someone like Daniel Graham (who everyone seems to love) and would be just as productive.

2. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

not saying we have to copy there style but the patriots run double te once in a while right?

3. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

Yes they do, which is precisely why I want to get 1 more good TE, probably a recieving TE. A lot of teams, like the Pats, run a two TE set and it works very well if you have too guys that can catch the ball. I think Greg Olsen in the 3rd round, or even with our last second round pick would be a great TE playing behind Baker because he has amazing hands and speed. He just can't block too well.

4. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

People under estimate Backer's ability. He catches everything and blocks average-above average. If we used him correctly, I think he could have 50-60 catches a year.

5. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

I never said Baker was bad. Believe me, I love Baker and think if he is used more, like you said, he could be a real threat recieving. But I do also think that a 2nd TE could be very beneficial. With another great recieving TE, we could line up two tight ends and put some pressure on the defense with that.

6. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I could see us trying to sign Daniel Graham over the offseason, but I doubt we use a draft pick higher than round 5 on a TE after what Baker showed this season. He's really solid.

7. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

With Brian Schott. as the offensive coordinator, the JETS definitely need to draft a TE in the third or fourth round to pair up with Chris Baker. The JETS need to expand their offense to utilize all their weapons especially TE not just for pass-blocking but in the passing game. Either Matt Spaeth or Martrez Millner can be the guy that the JETS need to do just that.

8. ChadisGoldenBoy

ChadisGoldenBoy New Member

Miller could be around with our first 2nd rounder but I doubt it...Olsen will not last till the 3rd.

We don't need a TE anyway, those are both pass catching TE's, we seem to be looking for more of a blocking TE.

9. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

There was this one play in the pats game where they had a 2 TE set and then crossed them, picking off Barton in the process for a critical first down. I have never seen that before and I thought to myself: that kind of versatility opens up a TON of opportunities. I could see it, though i think we have enough needs to fill that a second starting quality TE may be a bit of a luxury.

10. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

i think 2 TE would be a great formation specially in the redzone because you never know what we would do could be a pass could be a run we definitely have enough beef to get a good push

11. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

If Olsen is there in the third then i wouldnt mind picking him he's a very talented te who could be great.

12. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

i love the double TE sets, and shaun ryan definitely isn't the guy to run that with, so i wouldn't be opposed to drafting a TE...however, 2nd or 3rd round? no...i think we can get a decent pass catching tight end in a later round while still getting the more integral pieces we need (defensive line/running back)

13. kevin68

kevin68 New Member

We drafted Jason Pociask last year as a blocking TE. He was on the IR the whole season, but he was known as a good blocker during hid College Career.

14. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Having two tight ends who can block, catch and who can get down the seems would be huge for any offense but even that much more important when you factor in Chad's physical limitations. Not to mention that having tight ends who can block really helps your run blocking. That's why the Pats have now drafted two tights end in the first round and Dave Thomas last year was a third or fourth round pick. The Pats know that tight ends can create match up problems. It's very difficult to cover a tight end like Ben Watson with man coverage. Also getting another tight end would make the opposing team have to keep those safeties in the middle of the field. As of now no one is really scared of Baker because a) they usually don't throw him the ball down the field and b) he was used as a blocker on a good percentage of passing plays. Another good tight end along with the improvement of the offensive line and the jets offense would take a big step forward.

#14 hazmat, Jan 20, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  15. Tight

Tight Active Member

If we go with a Te, I say we Martrez Milner from Georgia, fast, good hands, will get yards after catch.

SHould get a look in 4th and 5th

16. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

Yup, Milner would be a great 4th round pick. He could potentially be better than Greg Olsen, but does not have much experience starting. He is a great reciever and a below average blocker, but I would predict him to be like an LJ Smith on the Eagles. I think he would be a wonderful pick.

17. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Daniel Graham is who i want as are #2 TE.

18. InChadWeTrust

InChadWeTrust New Member

I was going to make this same thread if I didn't see this one. The thread I was going to make was going to say that I really think if we get a shot at Greg Olsen in the third round we take him. Maybe even the second since we have two picks. Tann. has stated he wants to fix our needs in FA so we can draft BPA and Olsen is such a great talent at TE he could really make us multi-dimensional.

19. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

judging by the way the pats have 3 te's who are all good...i think we will sign or draft another te or 2 before next season
    they have graham/watson/thomas
    all 3 contribute and are solid...
    a TE by committee to go with their rb by committe
    i would prefer not to get one early, but i wouldnt be surprised by anything after our first 2 picks

20. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

The TE is clearly not utilized a whole lot in this offense. When Baker does get the ball, he always makes the catch and has solid speed. Plus he's a good blocker it seems. He's just a very solid all around TE. That's one position I wouldn't change unless we start running two-TE sets. Then we can consider another TE (Daniel Graham would be expensive). Or maybe Sean Ryan/Jason Posciak is good enough to play more.