Don't bet the farm that Lawrence will save the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Oct 14, 2020.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

So many posts here are based on the anticipation of:

A. The Jets are tanking.
    B. Keeping Gase will ensure the #1 pick.
    C. The #1 pick will yield Trevor Lawrence who they believe is the Second Coming of Andrew Luck or Patrick Mahomes (or both).

I think everyone needs to take a breath.

First, I don't believe that Douglas is tanking. I think this team is just so devoid of talent, and being coached by a man so devoid of "genius" that it only looks like a purposeful plan. I don't give the Jets that much credit.

Second, whether they keep Gase or not, it's very difficult to go 0-16, and even if they did, there are other terrible teams out there who could also match the Jets record, whether it's 0-16, 1-15, 2-14, and they all would "beat" the Jets on S.O.S., so counting on tanking to get the #1 pick is in no way guaranteed.

Third, Trevor Lawrence is the "Next Great QB", as was Sam Darnold. Maybe Lawrence is better, but here are two video reviews of him that point out Lawrence's shortcomings, and disturbingly, they sort of remind me of Darnold's:

https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/...reviewer-critically-evaluates-trevor-lawrence

Let me say that these are only two, and the most in depth ones I could find. No doubt there are others, and maybe more that are more favorable (and I'm not talking about the 1-2 minute P.R. clips, I'm talking about deep dive analysis), but I couldn't find them. If someone here can or has, I'd love to see them. I haven't made up my mind by any means, but from what I've seen so far, the rush to predict that Lawrence will lead the Jets to a couple of SBs is a little premature. Also, maybe he's really not much better than Darnold, who might yet become a FQB with the right HC and weapons. Maybe doing that and trading the pick for a boatload of great picks and getting that long-missing talent for Darnold is the better way.

Anyway, there are lots of comments relating to all this in the different threads so I thought I'd post a thread where they could all be discussed together.

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t think the Jets are tanking. I do think they are terrible though and if they do keep Gase they will win no more than 2 games and very likely could win zero. I think 2 or less will get us the first pick in the draft.

As for Lawrence, he is an elite QB prospect. If we are lucky enough to have first pick it’s a no brainer selection. Obviously that’s not fool proof and if the Jets don’t do a better job building around him than they did Darnold who I also think was an elite QB prospect than it will likely fail again.

I do feel like the Jets are in a better position to build around Lawrence than they did Darnold given the amount of picks plus already having the LT in place is huge.

Also another thing working in Jets favor in regards to Lawrence is he will likely be starting with a new HC. Not firing Bowles the year Darnold was drafted was a huge mistake. Everyone knew he’d be fired following Darnolds rookie year forcing a 2nd year QB now to learn his 2nd offense. That was a huge mistake that doesn’t get talked about enough.

#2 Attackett, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

To assume the jets could tank is to assume they can get anything right on purpose.
    That’s a pretty big assumption.

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The Jets players haven't been tanking. But JD is and it now seems pretty obvious he has been since the season began. If your trying to field a competitive team you don't hold back money that could have brought in an impact player. Tanking for Lawrence was probably his plan going in to the season. At least thats how it looks now.

apjbfc and Footballgod214 like this.
  6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

1) First of all, I agree with you that the jets are not tanking, just devoid of talent. And, IMO that is squarely on MacCagnan. Not just terrible drafts, but terrible huge money decisions. Trumaine Johnson, Quin Enumwa, Lev Bell, and CJ Mosely, etc.--All were huge MacCagnan contracts which have produced SQUAT. The jets are paying them off NOW. I know Enumwa got hurt but he HAD a significant injury history before MacCagnan guaranteed him so much green. The jets have literally nothing left from MacCagnan's FIVE drafts now and many of those players are already out of the league. I am not saying Douglas is perfect either. His decision last year to bring in C Cahil was stupid as was his failure to more significantly address WR in the 2020 draft (QB Morgan???). I also thought Frank Gore was a dumb signing at the time (sorry, I think talent is more important than locker room presence). The Gore signing looks even dumber now that the jets are 0-5, and this team supposedly on the rebuild is giving Gore so many snaps.

2) I think Gase is the second coming of Rich Kotite. Yes, he IS that bad , and their coaching careers parallel each other. Both coached teams that made it to the playoffs IN SPITE of their coaching, not because of it. Both were fired by their old teams and almost immediately snapped up by hapless Jet owners who knew/know so very little about football. As I recall, the Eagles fired Kotite at the end of the 1994 season, who immediately went on vacation to the Virgin Islands. Jets owner Leon Hess tracked Kotite down there to get him to agree to coach the jets. Did Hess really think someone else would beat him to the recently-fired Kotite? I also think Chris Johnson will keep Gase until the end of year, come hell or high water. It does not do any good to call for Gase's firing now--not gonna happen IMO, although I think he is worthless as a coach, and should be fired now. Like Kotite, he will likely never be an NFL head coach again. Final 2020 record? I predict 1-15. Hard to lose very game. Good enough for #1 pick? I don't know--the jury is still out.

3) I think that if the jets have a shot at Lawrence they should take him, move Darnold and of course get a new head coach for 2021. I think Johnson should let Douglas handle the search for a new coach and basically pick him. These are not original thoughts I am giving in this paragraph, I think that is the consensus. But I think it so important IMO that the jets start NEXT season with a new coach, a new possible franchise quarterback, and new attitude/ a glimmer of hope. The current team looks as deflated/beaten/ uninspired as it did under Todd Toilet's last year. Hey, the jets will have a lot of cap room in 2021, and I think the possibility of playing with a new coach and QB Lawrence would attract some offensive free agents. More so than Darnold, anyway And don't hire a coach someone else just fired!

7. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Pretty good assessment. I am probably one of the few who believe Fields has more upside than Lawrence. Not to say Lawrence is bad but it will be curious fo see how Fields play this year.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  8. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Lawrence appears to have the intangibles that make great QBs: He's mature, confident, has great character, and great leadership abilities. Will he be a star, a bust, or somewhere in the middle? We don't know. But it's pointless to not take a chance on the grounds that we don't have a 100% guarantee that he'll pan out.

chandler, TonyFtLaud, Vida and 2 others like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Thanks for these. More evidence that TL may not be the slam dunk, can't miss, prospect that so many here are espousing. IDK, maybe he is, but some of his issues are issues that Darnold is exhibiting under pressure, and TL can expect to receive that kind of pressure unless the Jets seriously upgrade their talent around him. And if they can do that, then why not do that for Darnold?

Ralebird likes this.
  10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Problem is Sam's rookie contract is about to expire and he hasn't shown enough to get paid the going rate for QB's these days. It's not fair, but Maccagnan failed to build around him and Gase doesn't seem to know what Sam's strengths are(not staying in the pocket, rolling out, etc...). If we get Trevor, he'll be on a rookie contract for 4 years and there will be plenty of picks and cap space to build around him.

apjbfc, KY Jets Fan, Vida and 3 others like this.
  11. DefenseWinsChampionships

Trevor doesn't turn the ball over and has only lost 1 game throughout his college career. He's on the verge of setting an NCAA record for most consecutive passes without an Int thrown. He's the real deal.

12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Watch Lawrence play instead of grabbing some highlight reels. The kid gets better the bigger the game is. He's an absolute beast. Much better than Darnold was at the same stage. That said, of course there's a chance he could bust. Just like so many before him. That's the crapshoot of the draft. But watch the kid play. He's a man out there and will be taken #1 for good reason.

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we;ve been through the chad, the sanchize, the samchize, geno and his 1 perfect passer rating game, not to metion the fountain of others we didn't draft. whoever thinks lawerence is going to fix the jets is wrong

westiedog1, Ralebird and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

NFL defense > college Defense
    we heard the same about mayfield. doens't turn it over, a winner, 4 year starter blah blah.
    he's got some of the best skill positions around him and dropped form 70% completions in college to 61.4 in the NFL. went from a 6:1 TD to INT ratio to under a 1.5:1 ratio.
    Now i'm not saying Tlaw is baker but don't people here ever learn not to overplay college stats?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. DefenseWinsChampionships

Baker tossed 30 NCAA ints.
    Trevor has only thrown 12 INTs.

Baker had 9 NCAA loses.
    Trevor has 1 NCAA loss.

Baker is 6'1.
    Trevor is 6'6.

Please don't compare Baker Mayfield to Trevor coming out; ever again.

16. ColoradoContrails

I'm not trying to knock him down, just trying to get some perspective from people. And I'm not looking for "highlight reels", rather condensed analysis.

But if it's really true that "The kid gets better the bigger the game is", why didn't he beat LSU in the NCG? Instead he got rattled and didn't play up to his usual level. Isn't that the knock on Darnold? And are you forgetting the massive game Darnold had against Penn State in the Rose Bowl?

Maybe Lawrence IS a better prospect than Darnold, but so far I haven't seen the Andrew Luck comparison. I'm interested in seeing some more tape on him before I make up my mind.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Grounded and well said. Especially on the last paragraph. I'll never forget Bowles shit eating grin in the video where they call him for the first time - just praying he'll save his job.

Lawrence has a lot better opportunity to come into this situation and offense with pieces that will allow him to develop more than what we did with Darnold. Darnold's regressed pretty badly and it's hard to just reverse that regression. Not impossible and certainly can be done, but the percentages work against him when looking at other quarterbacks.

The only QB that's been a comparable prospect to him as of the past decade other than Luck is Burrow. And he had the one year question mark and outside the number arm strength.

Lawrence also has a pretty high floor because he's a very effective runner and built like a linebacker. He'll run around to move the ball like Josh Allen did last year if need be. And he has a cannon (similar to Darnold though).

Like all players he has a couple deficiencies. How will he look with worse pieces around him, is he fast enough to break contain in the NFL, what's the best offense for him, etc.

But it's a no brainer if we have the #1 pick.

PabloJa, NYJetsO12, PJ4Ever and 3 others like this.
  18. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

While it's nice to think about the idea of Lawrence coming out of college and quarterbacking this team, I think we all know that it's not going to happen. So many things have to go right between now and next April to get there, and we know that the Jets are going to blow it at some point between now and then. They'll either win a game and lose out on the pick or find some other really creative way to blow it. We know it's coming, it's just a matter of what form the screw up will take.

Noam likes this.
  19. DefenseWinsChampionships

Ok. So he didn't play great against LSU. His only loss. He's still 33-1 as a starter.

What about his championship WIN vs ALABAMA?!?!? Where he went 20/32 for 347 passing yards, 3 TDs/0 INTs as a freshman while out performing Tua Tagovailoa and giving Alabama their only loss of the year?!?

Joe Burrow was in his FIFTH (5TH) NCAA SEASON last year compared to Trevor who was only in his 2nd year.... Crickets.

NYJetsO12 and JetsKickAss like this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member