Don't agree with cutting Mawae, Kendall

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Feb 17, 2006.

1. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

I understand the appeal of cutting salary and age at the same time, but we're already concerned with filling two holes on the offensive line at tackle and guard. How does Mangini expect to protect his QB (whoever he is) with 4 holes across the line?

Mawae should retire as a Jet, he's a great player, he had half a season off to save his legs. He'll come back strong. I guarantee if he gets cut, he'll be playing center for one of the Bills next year and making us look bad.

2. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Mawae, IMO, the past few years has shown a dropoff in skill level. I believe he can still start, and the extra rest will help, but if he is being approached about restructuring, he should comply. I like Kendall, but have no problem with them releasing him.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The thing is you're right about the oline being the major concern, and if Mawae came back and Kendall slid back to his old spot, then the o-line would be shored up and competitive for at least another year.

The moves that the Jets seem to be making at this point are for the greater good of the teams future. The o-line will almost definitely be a major point in this years draft. Also I'm sure the Jets will bring in a couple of cheap veterans to groom and compete with the rookies. But we are not going to see the oline we are used to. It is going to go in a new direction.

The Jets new CS knows next year they aren't competing for a Super Bowl. So why build this coming years team like it is?

4. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

I'd rather have Kendall and Mawae working with our rookies.

5. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Because the bills are in the mail.

Look, I hope the Jets can build a powerhouse for the future, but for a season-ticket holder, the future is now. They don't give you a free pass while the construction tape goes up. They have an obligation to compete for the playoffs this year, as well as build for the future. Tough job for the GM, but that's why there are only 32 of them in the country. You're expected to be able to attempt both. Not expecting a SB, just a reasonable attempt at competitiveness and the illusion of season ticket relevancy into NOvember.

6. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

We should cut the vets on oline, draft some young bloods and a QB in the second round to develop. Start Brookies(not the china doll), do whatever it takes to get under the cap I say.

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

At least Mawae was offered the chance to stay and he refused. The team can't pay high prices to vets who are on the downside of their career. Doing a patchwork job to compete next year still leaves the future in doubt. The Jets have too many stagnant players on the team, this is the time to go in a completely new direction.

8. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

I wouldn't count Mawae as one of the stagnant players. I'm still hoping that we can find a way to keep him. I don't really want a "patchwork" team that will compete, but isn't building for the future. However, we can't just turn the Oline over to rookies. We won't win a game next year and our skill players will be getting killed.

9. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

If retiring as a jet was his concern, he would at least listen and try to help the team instead of just saying no. This team is moving in a different direction and if mawae doesn't keep an open mind he may end up on another team. If you didn't notice, he wasn't exactly lighting things up this year before he got hurt. He was always a faster, underpowered lineman. Now he's even older (slower) and coming off of injury and unwilling to renogotiate.....he's not leaving us w/ many options here :sad:

I thought Kendall was gone, why else would we even need another guard to start, since brandon moore is already manning the RG position....so no surprise there. Still, I would have hoped they would at least try to renegotiate with him before giving him the axe.

10. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

now I have no problem with Mawae playing another year for the NYJ, but why do posters always post things like so-and-so should retire as a jet? IMHO, no one should retire as a Jet, unless they can perform at a high level right to the end, and that includes Curtis Martin. The Jets should never make a single decision based on sentimentality. I happen to think they have been doing a lot of that over the years, to the dismay of their fans. And that is the death knell for an organization in a hard-cap age.

11. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Good post. Nothing wrong in telling it like it is.

Hey, the selfish side of me says no. Especially us "older" guys. My 9 year old son came up to me...the look in his eyes said "I just punched my baby brother in the face"..what he ended up asking me.....if it was ok with me..if he could root for the Panthers in the playoffs..but then he "promised to go back to the jets next year". I told him he could root for whoever he wanted. Dont want him holding that over my head when im and old man and hes in his 30's...lol.

Tough to explain to them at that age that it might take a while.

12. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Mawae we should keep, Kendell can go.

13. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Great Idea!!! cut a guy who actually played all season last year, and can play more than one position for a guy coming off a major injury, who is on his last leg!!!

To quote a guiness commercial "BRILLIANT"

they both should be bounced.

Ellis

14. baamf

baamf Active Member

That is funny, I had a very similar conversation with my six year old during these playoffs. He also wanted to root for the Panthers, and even made me buy him one of those Jake Delhomme figurines....

15. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Wow, If you started telling him about The Cap, Herm, labrums and rotator cuffs, you could have scarred him for life.:rofl:

You made a great call. Over time when he sees his Dad into the team who happens to be the Jets, wanting to be like his Dad will surely make him a Jet fan.

16. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Very funny.

My wifes family has summer homes and business in Topsail, NC. My son thinks that our second home.

I really think he wanted to root for the patriots....but lucky for him he didnt have the guts to mention that name in our house...lol.

17. baamf

baamf Active Member

:smile: When any of my kids get mad at me they all claim to be Dolphins fans. They really know how to piss the old man off.....

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Exactly my point.

19. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

Cutting Kendall makes sense. He was a good addition to a team looking to compete in the playoffs, but thats not our goal anymore. Jones, Moore, and Mawae are our linemen. Hopefully we can pick up Jean Gilles in the 2nd round and one of the tackles with whatever we get from trading Abraham. If we pick up Eslinger in the 3rd, we have a very young line that will be good if its kept together for a few years.

LT Jones
    LG Moore
    C Mawae/Eslinger
    RG Gilles
    RT Rookie

20. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

He's gunna be what? 35?...who cares if we have him or not, he's not a concern anymore. Now we must worry about who the new C will be