Donald Sutherland Dead at 88

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jetophile, Jun 22, 2024.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Bummer. I always thought he had a great speaking voice, and I deeply resepected his work. Who can forget that harrowing moment at the end of the 1978 (somewhat) remake of 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'? Me and my buddy Mark were huge horror and sci-fi horror (not straight sci-fi, sci-fi horror) and we were so freaked out. It still holds up all these years later. It's one of those flicks that has to be seen in a theatre, just like 'Alien', which was released a year later.

RIP to a wonderful actor.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertain...t-88-agency-shares-cause-of-death/ar-BB1oAVXg

westiedog1 and Faux machine like this.
  2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

In the NY Times obit they told of a famous director rejecting Sutherland for a part: "I need a guy who looks like he lives next door. You don't look like you've lived next door to anyone." Nevertheless, the part I remember him most for is the father in "Ordinary People." RIP.

abyzmul and jetophile like this.
  3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Donald Sutherland in 'Don't Look Now', the film is remindful of Dario Argento (at least to me). It's a trip. It's funny, one of my favorite American horror flicks is 'Alice, Sweet Alice'/'Communion' (also a trip, it's as close to Italian giallo as you're gonna get). Mr. Alphonso is the most disgusting slob to ever be put on celluloid, but that's neither here nor there. Anyway, there is no way that the Director of 'Alice, Sweet Alice' didn't see 'Don't Look Now'. Now there's nothing derivative about raincoats (red in 'Don't Look Now', yellow in 'Alice, Sweet Alice), but there's a particular death scene where I went whaaaat. More like homage IMO.

Donald Sutherland is great in 'Don't Look Now', but if you horndogs want to see it just to watch Julie Christie get banged, have at it.

Edit: sp

#3 jetophile, Jun 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2024