Dolphins fan checks in on the AFC East

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dr. Love, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Love

Dr. Love Banned

A couple things. I saw a lot of Kellen @ U of O, he's a gamer and may be your QB in the not so distance future. Reminds me of Delhomme, not real flashy in any one area but can still take over a game with guile and smart play. Nice arm, makes big plays at the right time.

Also, I've seen some silly predictions here, I think Jetfans should be very happy with 6-7 wins this year. Means your on the right track and that Mangini is off to a good start. My predicition is 5 wins. The Phins and the Pats battle it out for the east crown.

2. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Wow i thought u were going to be abusive as it seems like most fins are... Good evaluation mate. What do you think of having Culpepper at your team and then after he retires.... most likey Marcus vick.

3. Dr. Love

Dr. Love Banned

Vick? Oh, hell no. He's an athlete and being given a look, that's all. As for Daunte, seeing as we haven't had a QB since about '96 (when Dan should have retired) we're a little excited. But the coach, that's the real deal.

You guys must be happy about Mangini's potential.

#3 Dr. Love, May 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2005
  4. b_hjelmeland123

b_hjelmeland123 New Member

Culpepper will be around for atleast another 8 years. So I don't think we have our next QB on our roster. He will more thatn likely come along in 5 or more years.

5. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

any concerns about culpepper's horrible choking problem in the playoffs?

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Not only the 2 times he actually made it but the plenty of times he couldn't get them there in that weak div and conf.

I realize why fans would get excited b/c now you have a flashy QB but that doesn't guarantee wins and so far he hasn't ben a winning QB. Fiedler was the opposite, wasn't flashy but won. I don't care about fantasy #s, I just care about wins and if we see the Minnesota daunte it will not worry me one bit. My only concern is if Saban can turn him around and limit his mistakes much the way Parcells did w/ Vinny back in '98.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's a fair assessment, but I think the battle for the AFCE crown is going to be closer to a 9-win race than an 11-win race. Our division isn't past the ugliness we saw last season.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think 6 or 7 wins would be a positive result for the Jets.

The place where expectations are out of hand is in Miami in my opinion. I see the Dolphins as having equal shots at 11-5 and 5-11 this year with 8-8 the likely landing spot.

The QB is a big question mark, the young RB of the future wore down last year before the season was half over and the defense is getting awfully long in the tooth.

You guys need to be prepared for a letdown because I think it's 50/50 you get a big one.

9. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I think the Dolphins' finish last year has warped expectations. They lost to the Jets in Week 2 and barely beat them in Week 16 (or was it 15, who cares?) and the Jets stunk. They beat New England in a game that was irrelevant to the standings. It's nice for them that they had a winning season, but 9-7 is just a label on a far more complex series of events and developments.

That said, I rate their coach and expect them to be competitive this year.

10. nyjunc

I think they have had a terrible offseason, the only reason I give them a playoff chance is b/c it's year 2 under saban and that alone should allow them to grow but they got an overrated QB who is coming off major surgery, a CB who was mediocre at best and was replaced by an old, declining former dolphin, they didn't have much of a draft since they traded away some picks(not syaing they didn't have a good draft they just didn't have many picks) and didn't do enough to address the OL. Their big Ol signing was a guy who was in Cle and sat and watched as Cle gave millions away for guys to replace him and others on the OL.

I think after a great offseason a year ago they have had a poor one this offseason but they can still be better IF they rely more on brown's legs than Daunte's arm(assuming brown can carry the load as he never has had to before) and just being in saban's system for year 2. I don't see a slam dunk breakout team in Miami but they COULD be pretty good.

11. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

At least another 8 years? Talk about optimistic. The guy has been pretty banged up, including his major surgery last year. So who knows how those injuries are going to affect the longevity of his career, but I would suspect it knocks a good 4-5 years off the backend. Not to mention he is not getting any younger. Saban is not an idiot, there is a reason he traded for Harrington. I would not be surprised if they drafted a QB in the next 2 years.

12. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

A terrible off-season huh??...

We added Culpepper, a huge upgrade over Frerotte in regards to just about every aspect of the game. Not to mention adding depth at both OT / DB.....

Oh, and did I mention the Phinz lost only two players of significant status{Madison / Seau}. Other than losing those two players, what did Miami encounter to have such a terrible off-season. I'm not saying it was great, but come on, it was far from terrible as you claim it to have been. I think you're just alittle ticked off that the Phinz are moving in the right direction.....

Yeah, Culpepper's overrated, NOT. As for not upgrading the OL, we really didn't need to do much upgrading due to superior coaching at the position. H. Houck came in last off-season and turned our horrible situation into a solid one. Our OL was very good last year, and should continue to improve....

OT LJ Shelton only needs a real team, and a real coach. Now he has one in Miami. He's expected to battle for the staring LT position with D. McIntosh, who is solid in his own right. You've got nothing on our OL after losing Mawea. OUCH!!!!

It will take more than Brown being able to carry the load, but that's still a key component to having a successful season. I think the addition of Culpepper, and his influence on the offense will be a huge factor in whether Miami makes the playoffs in 2006. The Pats are the only team in the East that looks to stand in our way right now, and while I'm sure the Jets / Bills will still play a tough game, they'll both likely finish on the bottom. Our division is getting stronger though, so in 2007 I expect us all to be in the race.....

13. nyjunc

Fantasy wise sure he's a huge upgrade but last i checked daunte had all those eye popping #s in 2004 and could only win 8 games while Gus led you to 9 wins a year ago. Not to mention daunte was atrocious w/o Moss last year and is coming of injury.

Please list.

I am thrilled w/ your offseason, ticked I am not. I do think you are headed in the right direction but might take a little step back this year before becoming real contenders next year. You still need alot of help on the OL and the d wasn't great last year and your core guys are getting old. I think you'll be good but at finheaven most are talking deep run in the playoffs and they are talking playoffs like it's assured and I think they'll be in contention for a playoff spot but I think they might fall short. I expect 8 or 9 wins from Miami.

Nah he's not if you are playing for the fantasy football championship but if you want to win REAL games he's overrated.

You still need players to improve. Your OL was better but not great.

neither player is very good and that's something you should be worried about.

we have more talent w/o a doubt, there's alot of young talent though. All things stay the sae our Ol will be far superior to yours in a year or 2 and as of now we are about even.

I'd be wary of putting too much pressure on daunte, he's proven in the past he can't handle it. He has great skill players around him but he has always had that so I think Brown needs to be the focus of the O not daunte.

Don't take this critique to heart, I'm not bashing Miami. I am critical of their offseason moves but I still love what Saban did last year and still think you will be good this year just not good enough to beat out NE and make a deep playoff run but you never know.

14. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

So basically, you're trying to make a case in saying Frerotte is a better QB than Culpepper???....:lol:

PLAYER MOVEMENT
    Additions Status (Old Team)
    Renaldo Hill, DB Unrestricted (OAK)
    Will Allen, CB Unrestricted (NYG)
    Andre' Goodman, DB Free Agent (DET)
    L.J. Shelton, T Unrestricted (CLE)
    Fred Beasley, FB Unrestricted (SF)
    Deke Cooper, S Unrestricted (JAC)
    Mike Pearson, T Unrestricted (JAC)
    ==========================

DRAFT
    1 16 Allen, J. CB Tennessee
    4 114 Toledo, J. OT

OFF-WAIVERS
    D. Furio / Center / From (PHI)

I'm not sure how many of these additions will make the team, or how much any of them will contribute, but as you can see, we added depth / competition on both the OL and in the secondary as I stated....

The fans at Finheaven are just excited, and overly optimistic this year. Same old, but looking at the state of the rest of the division this year, can you blame most Phinz fans for being confident in our chances?...

I expect more than 9 wins. We won 9 games in 2005, this is a better team in 2006 in my opinion. More experienced, and more disciplined....

Well I'm not. I think McIntosh / Shelton will get the job done just fine....

The only thing your OL has been good at lately is putting QB's on IR. Just because you added two rookies, doesn't mean it's all of a sudden going to be transformed into a brick wall. It takes time for those players to gell, and get comfortable playing at this level. Losing Mawea is huge, there's no way I can say the Jets OL is better now than it was with him at Center. Mangold should be be solid in another year if all goes well, but he's still no Kevin Mawea....

It's nothing personal, it's just your opinion. No big deal....

15. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

16. Tailgater

Tailgater New Member

If Brady stays healthy, the Pat will win 12+. Last year the East had a much tougher schedule and they won 10, with even more injuries than they suffered in '03 & '04.

17. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

I like Saban and think he's a very good coach (huge upgrade over Wannestadt). I also like some of the skill players on offense (Chambers, McMichael, Ronnie Brown in time). But...

1) Culpepper is not a sure bet to start the season. If he doesn't, you've got Joey Harrington as the backup (I know, I know, Ramsey is a question mark too). As the Jets learned last year, you are one reinjury away from seeing your season go down the sh**ter in a hurry. And that's if Culpepper starts the season as the starter.

2) Miami's D doesn't scare anyone. The d is solid, but not spectacular. To make the playoff and make any run from there, you've got to be able to dominate games. It's a middle of the road defense that didn't get much better over the offseason. Maybe it gels in the second year and improves organically, but that's what it will take.

18. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

Many teams are one huge injury away from falling in the sh**ter, the Jets included. As you've witnessed form personal experience with Pennington...

Harrington may not be better than Frerotte in terms of experince, but Harrington has a lot more than Rosenfels previously had for us. Hopefully, Harrinton will only have to start 3-4 games to start the season. He should be able to keep us afloat long enough to stay in the race....

The addition of DC Dom Capers alone will make this unit much better, and I'm sure he's got high expectations with the Phinz. Looking at the rest of the teams, and the players you lost, I'm predicting the Phinz defense to be the strongest in the division this year....

19. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

Can't agree with you there. Miami does not/will not have a better defense than the Pats; Pats front 7, especially front 3, are better than Miami's. Capers is a solid DC, better than he is an HC. Abraham will be a loss for the Jets no doubt, but don't kid yourself about the loss of Ty Law. I'd say at least 7 of Ty's 10 picks last year were tipped by an LB or Kerry Rhodes. Good hands? Yes, but he's not an elite cover corner any more.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

IMO the Dolphins are in for a huge letdown.. They played above there talent level last year and won 9 games, this coming year they might be a better team but won't win as many games. I would compare there situation to the Cowboys in Bills first two tears. They had a great first season under Bill, far exceeding expectations and then the following year they took a major step back.. Jets fans know whats can happen to a team with an unsettled QB situation, they also know how fast an aging player becomes old & useless. IMO the Pats run away with the division with the Jets and Phins hanging around the 7 win mark..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.