Dolphins and Jake Long in negotiations - Miami Herald

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PennyRoyal10, Apr 9, 2008.

1. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

The Miami Dolphins could soon be off the clock.

The Dolphins have formally begun contract negotiations with agent Tom Condon about the prospect of selecting former Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long as the first overall selection in this year's draft.

Condon, who also represents Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, was in South Florida early this week to negotiate specifically on behalf of Long at the request of the team, The Miami Herald has learned.

The Dolphins would like to have a contract in place with their first pick before the draft on April 26, which would allow them to avoid a potentially ugly holdout like the one that took place in Oakland last year upon the Raiders' selection of quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Miami is still intrigued by Virginia defensive end Chris Long, but no in-person talks between Chris Long's agent and Miami are believed to have taken place to date. However, the Dolphins are believed to be happy with quarterback John Beck, and they are not considering Ryan as an option with the first pick.

The latest meeting between Condon and the team doesn't necessarily mean the Dolphins have made their final decision to select Jake Long over Chris Long, but it is certainly a major step in that direction.

By selecting Jake Long, the Dolphins would fill a gaping hole along their offensive line. Vernon Carey is currently slated as the starter at left tackle, but selecting Jake Long would potentially allow the team to move Carey back to his more natural position on the right side of the line

2. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

it seems as though they're gonna take Long. A lot of analysts claim that they heard from dolphins scouts that jake long is the pick. Can't really disagree with the dolphins pick here. Jake Long is a sure thing. He can play on the O-Line and protect John Beck, a young developing quarterback. If the jets draft gholston maybe we could see gholston wreck jake just like he did in college :wink:

3. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

If that began the Long/Gholston - Mayock tumble theory I would be very happy

J.Long
    Dorsey
    Ryan/Gholston
    McFadden/C. Long/Gholston
    Ellis/Clady
    Gholston/C. Long - Jets

4. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I hope to hell this happens. It helps us in more ways than one, and should make it so one of "our" guys falls to us.

Plus if we end up with Gholston, he can destroy Long just like he did in college :wink:

5. masivemunkey

masivemunkey Member

When was the last time an OT was taken #1 in the draft? Orlando Pace?

6. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

This is a real positive for the Jets if he goes first. Come on Chris Long...

7. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

I think St. Louis takes C. Long and this also cements KC taking a O lineman.

8. JetMonkey

JetMonkey Member

It would make more sense for the Rams to take Dorsey rather than C. Long, then they could move Carriker back to DE like he played in college.

9. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

This was an obvious pick, I called it months ago.

10. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I was about to say the same thing, I've thought this whole time Dorsey was probably a lock for St. Louis.

11. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

12. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I think the fish have brought in more than just Jake Long and Gholston, I expect Chris Long and Dorsey to also be brought in for negotiations and the cheapest deal gets picked first overall....

13. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I'm assuming the same. This helps us as well, as if the #1 gets a smaller deal than expected, that cascades down to us as having to give our guy less money than foretold.