Does Playoff Birth lock Chad for CBPOY?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RapZiLLa54, Dec 31, 2006.

1. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

Coming off two shoulder injuries, starts his first complete season and leads his team to the playoffs. If that isn't a lock, then Comeback Player of the Year is just another Pro Bowl.

Thoughts?

2. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

I hope so.

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Tough to say when you have jackasses like Chris Carter saying it should go to Drew Brees

Honestly I think should be between Chad, Travis Henry, Ron Dayne or Kellen Winslow and honestly statistically speaking it should be Winslow who had avery good season with 3 different QBs and a really bad team.

4. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

Statistically, maybe. But I have alot of trouble accepting the idea that the CBPOY goes to a guy who airmailed himself into the bushes on a moped.

5. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Hopefully.

6. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

berth. And I'd think Brees might get it anyway.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Brees getting it would be a joke, but an expected joke.

Brees and Peyton will both win the awards due to playing in the NFC.

Both teams are 10-6 now, but the Saints have a Bye, so I don't know.

Pennington deserves it for sure, but who knows?

The Jets always get jipped.

8. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Being against a guy who has an off year last year is one thing, but you guys are acting like Brees sprained an ankle.

He had the same injury as Chad. A torn rotator cuff should end a career. Fortunately for both Chad and Drew, they had the best of the best repairing it. Yes, Drew missed part of one game at the end of the season, but it doesn't change the nature of the injury.

Do I want Chad to win it? Yes. Does he deserve it? Yes. Does he deserve it more than Brees? I think so. But to act like Drew Brees doesn't deserve it at all is just wrong.

If the only two who the writers are considering are Chad and Drew, and Brees pulls it out, then there is no injustice involved. If somehow someone else wins it, then yeah, it's another Pro Bowl.

And a playoff berth cannot be the only criteria. Brees led his team to a division title, after being a loss worse than us last year.

9. I bleed Jets Green

I bleed Jets Green New Member

Chad should win it. He's had one more throwing shoulder surgery than Brees did.

:beer: :jets:

10. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

I dont think he will get it but it would be awesome

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Just the fact that he started all 16 games should be enough to get CBPOY

12. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

Agreed. However he wears a Jet uniform... so expect to be disappointed

13. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

Brees tore his labrum, a ring of cartilage. Pennington (2X) tore his rotator cuff, the group of muscles stabilizing the arm and shoulder.

The latter sounds like a much more significant and hard to recover from injury.

14. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

Anatomical mumbo jumbo= CBPOY to our boy Chad PEnnington!!!!

15. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

What is the criteria? When Phil Simms was asked, he said if he remembers correctly Brees played all 16 games?? How can you be a comeback player when you missed no games (assuming Simms was right).

Edit:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235197

he played 16 games... Brees should not even qualify.

16. fggrimes

fggrimes Well-Known Member

It definitely should go to Chad. Let's not forget, that before the season many around the league saw him as the Jets' third best option behind Patrick-freakin'-Ramsey (!) and rookie Kellen Clemens.

Some considered Chad done as a starting QB in the league.

Granted Brees has also come back from a very serious injury, but if you were to see what the opinion was considering the value and future for Brees and Chad before the season, Chad has come the longest way by far.

17. MyFavoriteMartian28

I agree. NO other player mentioned as a candidate for this award had articles in which it was published at a regional and national level, that they likely wouldn't see the field again. Chad's career was over according to anyone and everyone with an opinion.

Part of the criteria should be how far "gone" were these players, did they suffer injuries that kept them out for a number of games last year, the whole season last year, just the off-season, or did they just suck their whole career and finally just got things on track?

Chad - 2 shoulder surgeries, missed the better part of the last 2 seasons, then comes back to play 16 games, finishing with 10 wins and a playoff BERTH.

Nobody else on that list comes close overcoming the types of odds that Chad overcame, OR reaching such a high point of success as part of the "comeback" season.

Its a no-brainer.

That being said. They will likely award LaDanian the MVP and give Brees comeback player of the year (even though his stats last year were great as well), because he deserves the MVP but they can't give it to him. The Saints without Brees puts them in the race for Brady Quinn, while the Chargers without LT still makes them a playoffs contender IMO. Michael Turner is no slouch, and that team has a TON of talent on both sides of the ball.

18. rillo

rillo New Member

Chad for CBPOY......there no other option in my mind....period

19. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Chad came back from something that's never been done, nobody knew if he could even play. No disrespect to Brees, but I don't think his career was ever in jeaporady, certainly not to the degree Chad's was. Chad's ordeal spanned parts of two seasons and two off seasons, Brees didn't miss a game.

20. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Exactly -- what exactly did brees comeback from? He played 16 games, got hurt in the last, and started game 1 this year? Give him best free agent pick-up but he never came back ! Chad missed most of last season with a 2nd tear

And I had a torn rotator cuff which was thought to be a torn labrum -- let me tell you he rehab for my rotator cuff was he most painful thing I have ever been through -- the doctor even said if it was just a labrum this would be a lot easier

Hats off to Chad