Does it have to be a screen or a 50 yard bomb?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Poppa Naich, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

So after watching the game again last night, and getting myself even more frustrated.... this is what stuck in my mind.

The Jets never seem to willing to take 7-15 yard passes, yet when they do, that is when their offense is most successful. Over the last 2 games, the wide receivers have been pretty much absent from the game plan. Our CS and Favre have begun going back to the offensive style of the first 5 games where they basically ran, screened, and let Brett chuck up prayers.

Can we please see some 10 yard posts and slants? Favre can throw the ball on a rope for those types of passes. Simple 3 step drop, boom, deliver the ball.

2. Big Poppa Naich

One additional thought to add here.... no huddle seems to work better and help Favre get into a flow. Why not use that more often?

3. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

BPN, what happens here is that the JETS out think themselves.
    During the week they come up with a gameplan of what they best feel will work vs that D.

Hence, the Tenn game. We ran Slants, quick passes etc to negate their pass rush and then we used counters and misdirection in the running game to gain big yards.
    It worked.
    The bad side? It seems when the Gameplan doesn't work there is no PLAN B. No Adjustments.

You mean to tell me on a 3 wide set the Niners can cover Cotch, Coles, Keller, Stuckey and Leon out of the backfield? Really?

This CS is exactly like Hackett. Forcing players into a system and not using their abilities.

4. Big Poppa Naich

exactly. our WRs are not burners. They are never open on those long bombs. They are better at getting open for slants and posts.

5. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

I agree completely. I cannot figure out our offensive strategy. Our wideouts never seem to be in games and these hail Mary's from Favre are starting to look stupid.
    One thing became abundantly clear to me last night- we aint no elite team.

6. Big Poppa Naich

ScotlandJet, after last night, I am not even sure the Jets are a playoff team. They played a terrible game. I'm starting to think that Miami might actually win this division. Unbelievable. We need to straighten out this offense and get some pass rush starting this week.

Not to take anything away from the 49ers. They're a team on the rise, IMO. I think their QB is the real deal, and they've got their coach of the future. But we should have won that game.

7. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I hate it when Favre just chucks the ball out there. WHO ARE YOU THROWING TO?

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

it seems like when we play a team like tenn that has a given strength (front 4), we can muster up a game play to negate it and look 'unstopable'.

but when we play a team like san fran with no 'true strength, we just wing it with no game plan and just hope we win it because on paper we're the 'more talented team'.

tell me one game against a wimp opponent that we came out of with a "true identity".

against kc we 'should have' come out with a dominating running attack and ran up 300 yrds. but we didnt.

seems like mangini can get the team ready with a solid game plan against strong teams, but against 'no bodies' with no 'true strengths', we just look average.

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

seems like 'game plans' need to be a two edge sword.

against strong teams we should game plan to negate the other teams strength.

but...against weak teams, we should not 'game plan' at all, but rather pick one of our strengths (running the ball, short passes, leon running back kickoffs, whatever) and simply bring THAT to practice and the stadium. Don't waste time watching game film of a sucky team. Spend the time outside working on our strength, then simply 'bring it' on sunday.

or....when playing a sucky team, pick something we need to work on, like exotic blitz packages, and bring the house every other play. treat it like a scrimmage and sit back and watch 'a more talented team on paper' come to life.

mangini WAY over-thinks the opponent, especially the weaker ones.

10. azpackjetfan

azpackjetfan New Member

Being new to the board, I wanted to weigh in on this. As a Green Bay fan and having seen all 270+ starts from Favre, I wonder what kind of offense the Jets are running lately. I think this dink and dunk or just send Coles and Cotchery on double go's is not utilizing Favre for his strengths. The screen pass is nice once in a while. Favre executes it very well. He does a good job of holding the LB and Safteties. But, in order to be more successful now, the playbook has to open up.
    They need to run more dig routes, crossing patterns, slants, comebacks. One thing that seems apparent to me is that the Jets receivers aren't as good as the Packers receievers in creating separation. Favre has never been great at throwing the deep ball. But 10 to 20 yards he is among the best. Be nice to see Shottenheimer call more of those plays. Throw the ball downfield without throwing the 50 yards bombs.
    Laverneus Coles also needs to start getting open and running good routes. Instead of complaining that Keller was getting all the looks. He should have been relieved that the defense was starting to account for Dustin. That should have gotten better matchups for Coles. But, if he doesn't get the ball early. He shows little effort of trying to run crisp routes and get open. Favre will find him, if he gets open.
    Plus, when he does throw the ball to Coles in traffic, Coles does little to protect his QB.
    I know that the Jets got nervous that Favre was throwing too many interceptions early in the year and scaled back the playbook. but that was a mistake. Most of those INT's came from not being on the same page as the receiver from the pre-snap look. That will take time. But, it was improving in the Buffalo, NE, and Tenn games.
    Then, all of the sudden it got too conservative. Teams are looking for those dink and dunk passes and it's not working.
    And 8 or nine or the INT's were all coming from up the sideline throw trying to beat the cover-2. Cut that play out, fine. But, open up the offense Schotty, or we are soon going to be looking in on the playoffs and not competing in January. You got Favre to throw the ball and make plays, stop handcuffing him with this dink and dunk crap.

11. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I liked the 3 step drop. I guess it was working to well so they felt the need to change it........

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Thing is, when we have been successful this year, barring the Arizona Cardinals game, it's when we did exactly what you are talking about. Dig routes, slants, posts, and balanced it with a running game. Shottenheimer just out-thinks himself. He takes this whole 'we design an entirely new offense for each game' nonsense to levels of retardation. There have been games this year that he has called masterful gameplans, attacking the oppositions weaknesses with our strengths. That happened in the Bills and Titans games. Then there were times, like Oakland and Kansas City and Denver and San Francisco, where the attack the opposition's strengths with our weaknesses, and you get a game like yesterday where we lose to a team we could easily have beaten. It's maddening.

13. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

You can tell when he just chucks the ball up for grabs. It is very frustrating.

14. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Nice post with good points. Alas, none of it matters, sadly.

15. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

I'm still puzzled why it took till 1st and 10 from our own 1 yard line to throw a freaking slant pattern. That was working really well for us in previous weeks and doesn't really require much speed...just selling the route.