Do we have the coaches needed to utilize the talent we have? (Poll)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fansince90, May 7, 2022.

?

Do we have the coaches needed to utilize the talent we have?

1. Yes

31 vote(s)
    79.5%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  1. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Some of you have more in depth knowledge on our coaching staff. JD is adding talent, but do we have the staff to coach them up and put them in position to be successful?

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm not saying we have great coaches, but we're going to sink or swim because of Zach, not them. This isn't Gase 2.0, these guys are competent.

LF911SC, Aero, fansince90 and 4 others like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

As long as I never, EVER, see another QB draw/sneak at the goal line with the game on the line? I'm good.

fansince90 likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Same as with the players: they'll prove whether they're the right CS on the field and with their record, but I'm cautiously optimistic that they are.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm more confident with the O side of the equation... even with a HC that comes from a defense background.

Pepsiguy5, ouchy and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Saleh's a good defensive playcaller, he shouldn't be delegating to Ulbrich. Same mistake Bowles made delegating to Kacy Rodgers.

Jojo, Mogriffjr, fansince90 and 2 others like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I've got no problem with Saleh delegating to his DC - that's what a HC should do - but if the DC isn't up to the job he needs to get rid of him and find someone who is. In the short term he certainly could - and should - be more hands-on in ensuring that Ulbrich is doing things the way he wants them done, but not doing his job for him.

Pepsiguy5, Jojo, Brook! and 5 others like this.
  8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I didn't select either choice because I honestly don't know. I was unimpressed with the jobs any of the CS did except maybe STs.

fansince90 and Ralebird like this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Ulbrich is the one I'm most concerned about. The defense was run through like it was nothing last year.

LaFleur was a lot better once he went to the booth and now he has more pieces to work with. And he's got a year of calling plays under his belt. Not worried at all about him.

Saleh needs to be himself on the sidelines. He oozes enthusiasm when calling players who are drafted, but decided to be like Belichick on Sundays. Show some emotion when necessary(bad call, team makes a big play, etc....). On top of that, he needs to leave no doubt he has the other skills necessary to be HC. Right now, I have a medium level of concern with him.

Jojo, Mogriffjr, Brook! and 1 other person like this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Clock management, player development , and offensive /defensive play calling will tell the tale

Where we rank vs rest of league ...can no longer be close to last

11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm confident in LaFleur. Saleh, not so much.

12. fansince90

Why do you say that? I really didn’t watch many games last season. I moved to south Jersey and refused to pay for NFL package to see the team lose every week.

13. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I only voted no because we have no idea yet and sorry but last years signs were pretty poor (yes I’m aware they had no talent)

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. fansince90

Why not Saleh?

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I think our offense has more potential and talent.

fansince90 and PJ4Ever like this.
  16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

LaFleur showed notable improvement as the season progressed. He was calling plays that hid our weaknesses on offense and was increasingly creative.

Saleh, a supposed defensive guru, oversaw the worst defense in franchise history including multiple absolute blowouts. He kept trying to make his system work without ever seeming to realize that we didn't have the personnel to play good defense using that system. It was the total opposite of LaFleur who realized about halfway through the season that he needed to do something different.

17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I think offensively they HAD to make it work though and change . This is a first time OC and a rookie QB. He was thrown into the fire as is, they had to make adjustments in order to survive…I do think LaFleur has the potential to be an offensive genius/guru and his play designs were done well for the most part.

Defensively I do feel like they tried to ram a square peg into a round hole. Solely stuck with nickel as a base defense, the safeties for the most part were poor in run support, the DLine ended up being bad in their gaps to stop the run and the LB’s were just not good save for a few decent games a piece by Quincy and CJ.

I do find it interesting that the secondary was improved, the EDGE position was improved but yet not much was done on the interior of the DLine and the LB corps is basically the same guys from last season, two of which were converted safeties. It signals to me that the issues of run support was due to poor safety play and those DE’s not being great in run support/and the corners not being able to join and do their jobs. Basically Sauce and Reed will start and whoever out of Hall/Echols will start the other CB spot. Reed use to play safety and is known as a good tackler and plays good in run support. Whitehead is also a good box safety who will get his hands dirty…Pinnock showed his true position is at safety as well. I think we will see a better commitment to the run as a whole and marked improvements to getting to the QB as well.

18. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Which system would the defensive unit, with all those players injured missing chunks of the season excel in? Got to love the idea that all Saleh had to do is in mid season swap out his system for one he doesnt believe in and bingo, the D would have been better. How naive can we be.
    And how can a Jets fan not understand that the HC is HC who delegates the O and D to his coordinators, Ala Belichich, Tomlin, Vrable etc, etc.

KingRoach, ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  19. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I didn't vote because like Zach the CS has a lot to prove with more talent available to them

westiedog1 likes this.
  20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Is Quincy Williams going to be covering Kyle Pitts ever again?