Division Power Rankings

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by KingRoach, Mar 31, 2016.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes I would rather face the bottom four than the top four but I think all divisions have their stronger and weaker teams.

Play ball and forget it

3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

As an experiment to see how much stuff like this means, go take a look at some projections from last March.

Royal Tee likes this.
  4. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Experiment completed. 3 of the top 4 divisions according to last years rankings sent 2 teams to the playoffs.
    (The cbs sports one from July 20015 was 4 out of 4)
    Since they were pretty on point last year are you saying it means a whole lot?

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

AFC North is overrated.

Royal Tee and CJLang like this.
  6. Big Cat

Trying to say anything about how good teams will be in 2016 at this point is ridiculous. The draft hasn't even happened yet, free agency is still going.

Let's have a look at ESPN's pre-season power rankings from last year (these actually had the benefit of seeing the result of the draft, too)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/week/0

How bout them Cowboys?! Colts? Ravens? Go Eagles! Chargers! Lions! All came in the top 13.

The 15-1 NFC Conference champ came in at 16, though. The 10 win Jets at 25. NFC North Champ Vikings at 24.

Imagine if the Jets had a schedule that featured Dallas, Philly, Indy, Baltimore and San Diego in 2015. People would've started threads like these telling us how we were going to get slaughtered. 4-12, 4-12, 5-11, 7-9, 8-8.

Fans love having the ability to predict things far in advance, but the league is just so dynamic that it's impossible. Just accept it. We don't know anything about how the league is going to shape up this year. For some reason we remember that around week 8 of every regular season but choose to forget it during the offseason so we can try to find significance during a boring stretch of nothingness.

NYJetsO12, RuJFan and BrowningNagle like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yep. the schedule is meaningless anyway. Its not like there are any truly dominant teams in this league. 80%+ of teams in this league are really close in ability. Is a game vs. (10-6) Pittsburgh really that much more difficult than a game vs. (7-9) Oakland or (7-9) New Orleans?? no, not really. Actually I'd argue a game on the road vs. Oakland or New Orleans is MORE difficult than a home game vs. Pittsburgh.

8. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

I hate playing Pitt.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Big Cat

Not even mentioning how fluky 60 minute NFL games are. How many individual games actually go the way the 'experts' think they will? "Any given Sunday". We can't even predict the winners of games the day before they're played, get out of here trying to do so 6 months in advance before the teams are even set.

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

remember destroying Pitt on the backs of J Jarrett and TJ Graham?
    and that was in the midst of a horrible talentless season for us..

just never know in this league, especially at this point in an offseason.
    staying healthy is much more critical than the schedule.

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  11. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Agreed.. Just think we are going to have problems matching up with Antonio Brown and Leveon Bell and company.. But you are right it is still very early and only time will tell.

12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I don't know about that BN. I forgot when we won against Ravens or Bengals and Steelers are always in playoff race. NFC West on the other hand is a different animal. I expect SF and Rams being bad and Seahawks taking a step back after losing all those Offensive Lineman.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  13. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

excellent point. all of these projections and rankings are just plain.....bull shit.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I mean I get what you're saying. But we played 3/5 of the teams you listed in your example dude lol.

15. Big Cat

Exactly, when the schedule came out everyone (including me) thought our first 4 games were going to be brutal (CLE, @ IND, PHI, MIA) and it turned out to be a joke stretch that we should have gone 4-0 during.