DISCUSS: New Salary Cap Rollover Influencing GM?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Poppa Naich, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

So the new CBA made a number of changes to the way the salary cap works. One of the most interesting aspects is that now, teams can roll previous year salary cap space into the next year's cap #. So, say the Jets don't spend all their cap money, say they cut enough players that they play the 2013 season at $10M under the cap... theoretically, in 2014 they can roll a portion of that cap space into extra room for 2014 (not quite $10M, but something like $7M, it depends on some other things as well.

So as I am sitting here, watching teams with a TON of cap space like the Browns basically make no moves, and the Jets not resigning any free agents or signing any players to bigger contracts, I'm wondering if our GM is thinking about just chalking up 2013 to disaster, and saving up that cap space for 2014.

Thoughts?

2. PuMa

PuMa Banned

Theoretically i can this happening considering we are more likely to make a move on a franchise QB next draft i think we should sign a few stop gaps(as we have) and sign and develop weapons all over the filed on O for our next QB
    Defense is handled IF we fill the holes and we still have rex.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's possible that the Browns just realize that buying high-priced free agents doesn't mean anything unless you have the QB in house already. Their reluctance to blow a chunk of cash and cap space on the guys out there this year is a wise move.

4. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

I don't disagree... this class of free agents is not that great. A lot of the players are flawed or too old to warrant huge long term deals.

On another note, I love that the new CBA has the rookie wage scale. It makes it a lot safer to gamble on high picks, knowing that you're not going to destroy your team for 5 years if you make a bad pick.

5. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

I see what Idzik is doing as a philosophical difference, certainly not a formula for short term failure. The Steelers let their big name free agents walk, same as they always have, nobody bats an eye. We do the same thing, not overpaying for players at positions of lesser salary value and letting go of guys whom have clearly lost several steps, and the media does its best to infer the team is being blown up and started over on the cheap.

Look, we have lost 2 guys who are legit #1 starters at their position in the year 2013. Both wanted the team to overpay to keep them. And most teams would have done just that, which is how we got into this mess to begin with. Every other FA or cut were guys who are either backups at best or retirees that haven't given up yet. Its a natural process, happens to every team. But for some reason, it gets blown out of proportion when its the Jets. And here comes the conspiracy theory. Planning to fail is not an option, it just does not happen in the NFL.

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Two words: Spike year.

If Idzik is saving up for next year's purge, I am more than happy for it.

7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I watched Bill Parcells and Bill Pollian on ESPN the other day talk about running a team. One of the things they went over that I often did not factor in is what the referred to "operating expenses". In other words the both said the tried to enter the season with near 10 mill in cap space, not for a roll over, but for practice squad costs and cost of replacing injured players, ect.

Without the signings of today we sit near 15 to 20 mill cap space. A Revis trade costs us 3 mill, the rookie class 5.5 mill. That has us entering the season anywhere from 7 to 12 mill depending on how accurate reports are with no additional moves.

This is not saving for a splurge year, this is actually running a team the proper way.

Edit: with today's moves factored in we are closer to 5 to ten mill in current space.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You want to have some 'wiggle room' since the season is long and you just never know what will happen during the season. You just do not want to spend up to the cap if you are serious about having a competitive team year in and year out. (Hear that, Revis.)

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I agree about leaving some room, I just never thought they would say such a highe number. I guess 10 mill is less and 10% of your cap.

I thnik the lack of outrageous spend is due to the flat cap situation combined with the lack of success of off season champs like the Redskins, Eagles, and last years Bills. Now if only the Dolphins fortunes follow them we'll all be happy.