Did Zach Wilson.....?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 12, 2021.

?

Your grade for Zach as of Week 14

1. Met my expectations

16.5%
  2. Didn't meet my expactations

83.5%
  1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Meet your expectations as of Week 14?

What did you expect? What did you see so far? I added a poll as well.

2. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Most certainly didn't meet my expectations. And that's a problem because my expectations couldn't have been much lower heading into the week.

blackssmagic likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It depends what your expectations were. He looked exactly as I anticipated he’d look.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I always expect him to be slightly better than last time. That didn't happen this week.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

C) Broke my heart... :confused:

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Not calling anybody out. In the end, the book on Zach isn't closed yet. But I wonder what some of our posters who were extremely high on Zach after he was drafted think about him now after some games?

@ColoradoContrails @cval @NCJetsfan

You guys don't mind if I tag you right? :)

IDFjet and Ralebird like this.
  7. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Believe it or not. I still see some hope and talent there. And I never wanted to draft him and was skeptical it was a good idea the whole time.

Obviously... he's got to correct these yips or whatever the hell the problem is with clanking passes to guys a few yards away into the dirt and consistently throwing behind his targets. But of all the things facing NFL quarterbacks you'd think that would be something that somebody or someone could boot him in the ass on somehow and straighten out. If you could just correct that things would be a lot more promising. Zach was like 10 of 26 for 92 yards or something at the point it stopped mattering today. Purge the yips and what might that have been? Probably could easily throw another 100 yards on that if not 150+.... who knows what a few more first downs would have yielded.

Like FJF posted in another thread, the course is already set and charted for the rest of this year and next. Lets just hope he figures it out.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I expected him to struggle, but I didn't expect him to show almost no potential whatsoever.

At this point, my prediction is that he'll go down as one of the all time major busts.

9. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

See here's the stickler. I had ZERO Expectations because basically I didn't really see wtf the JETS saw. Actually, I was like wtf is this sudden BYU Bullshit.
    So my expectations are right there, he's lookin like a scrub but it's kinda what I expected from a rookie qb in this situation.

That said I think he has NOT met OUR expectations of a High Drafted QB but there's still a ceiling above him.

blackssmagic and jets_fan like this.
  10. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

My bad, I Missed the week 14 point...

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Meh QB’ing is HARD. I expected struggles to be bad. I did expect a bit more better games then what he’s put up.

i do think we need to stop over analyzing on a week to week basis and saying he’s a bust or a star based upon that week. I think in totality that will show in due time. Unless you’re Brady or Mahomes and a few others like Herbert and Allen, legit all the other QB’s are being questioned one way or another as if he’s not the long term answer with their teams. Dak is still getting flak as if he’s not worth the money. Lamar suddenly it feels like defenses has figured him out.

Zach needs to settle down, he still plays anxious from time to time. Him missing easy throws will happen but not as much as it should be right now. You can tell he’s still overthinking at times. For example that long run he had, there’s no reason why he couldn’t have ran for 20 more yards or maybe scored, but he like tensed up and slid for some reason.

i think whatever he’s struggling with isn’t talent related. It’s a confidence and knowing when to go and when to take it easy. He’s still feeling around his way for the game. I do feel confident he will figure it out. I truly do.

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm still think we have way bigger problems than Zach Wilson.

He's just the tip of the iceberg...

wewantsapp and Sack exchange like this.
  13. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

He was worse than I expected today. He missed a lot of throws and looked to be pressing. I expected some struggles with all the WR injuries and NO D is pretty good. There are a lot of drops, but throws could have been better. But still very catchable. I thought he was overthinking when he did not get what he expected. And had to go to 4th and 5th reads too often. Credit to D or our WRs did not get open. OL was ok, I remember an egregious non block, but otherwise good. No running game hurt. Held ball too long, and slid too early on runs. Fixable. Also the early slides show he is overthinking. When he did settle down he made some nice throws. ESP in trash time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 Sack exchange, Dec 13, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    tomdeb, ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  14. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Good post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I can't answer this through 14 games. The team sucks in general, the term "regressed" is often used in prior Jets QB. I'd like to see if with more games he gets better.

For me I can talk expectations by end of next season. Want to give him 2 seasons at least.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  16. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

he's on/y looked good a very small sample... and pretty atrocious more...

v disconcering...

he's totally YIPPING

Lon Chaney and Jets79 like this.
  17. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Of the last 4 high drafted QBs that have started day 1 for the Jets I would say that ZW looks like he belongs in the NFL less at this point in his career than Sanchez, Geno and Sam did at the equivalent point. Now those other 3 guys didn't develop much, maybe Zach will. He has been making better decisions since coming back so that is a good sign, but his issues go beyond normal rookie struggles. Is it mechanical or mental or was he always this inaccurate? I don't even pretend to know the answer to that, but if the accuracy issues aren't solved then there is no future development that will help him. He will get next year but there has to be another valid starting option on the roster to compete with him.

IIMeanDeanII and Bellys Lies like this.
  18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

My expectations were that after after 1 step forward there are 2 steps back so after an improved game last week I was expecting a bad one this week - so expectations met

It is clearly an organisational issue as much as anything - Jets had the worst rated QB last year and we have the worst rated QB this year - seems to be ingrained that the Jets can never develop a QB - Sanchez, Smith, Hackenburg, Darnold and Wilson - 3 high first round picks and 2 second rounders and (as it stands) not a single average NFL QB amongst them

part of the issue is that we haven't had a decent offensive line since Ferguson & Mangold and so our QBs have been facing constant pressure and we haven't had a top tier running back since Curtis Martin retired to take some pressure off

#18 JetsUK, Dec 13, 2021
  19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson is doing pretty much exactly what I expected him to do, but he's not showing the kind of improvement within the season to get to the five wins I predicted. I guess I was overoptimistic.

I stated many times, even before the draft, that I was afraid his BYU experience in the Covid Cupcake Conference was not going to prepare him adequately to face the more complex, much faster game the NFL represents. There are no Chanticleers in the NFL. I did not buy into his "accuracy" being touted by those in awe of his Pro Day and likened it to the driving range or a shooting gallery. Everything is great if no one is shooting back. I predicted problems with him finding receivers and I predicted problems with him dealing with the power and speed of an NFL rush. Deja vu?

Once he was drafted, I took the same position I have way too many times in the past, I adopted the "show me" position. It's still too soon to say what Wilson may become, but I don't think anyone did him any favors throwing him on an NFL field when he was, and remains, clearly not up to the task. I wanted what some were already calling not just a franchise quarterback, but occasionally a generational quarterback, to compete for a job, even if it was with Darnold. Competition is good.

I am also curious as to how long it will take some of the guys who called out more realistic posters for their "lack of enthusiasm" going into a season that was all lollipops, rainbows and unicorns to them to admit that maybe they got it wrong and the Douglas, Saleh, Wilson ensemble might not be capable of playing the kind of music they dreamed about and tried to force down everyone else's throats.

#19 Ralebird, Dec 13, 2021
    tomdeb, SOJAZ, Cidusii and 2 others like this.
  20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I believe the pressure of being the number 2 overall selection is definitely getting to him.

He has a very difficult offense to learn, he didn’t have Moore and Carter to take burden off.

He’s also getting into the habit of bailing from the pocket and making things worse for himself. There was a point in yesterdays game where they announcers mentioned Brees told Wilson he has to learn to step into the pocket.

Wilson is not doing that and looks very uncomfortable stepping into the pocket and making the throws.

That being said, missing wide open receivers, the constant throwing the ball into the ground, under throwing receivers on what should be sure TD throws, is not what I expected to see this late in the season.

He’s going to be given every opportunity to be successful, he just needs to relax and play football.

We might not see any progress till next year, which means another lost season of football.

tomdeb, SOJAZ and FJF like this.