Did the State of New Jersey chase Tyreek Hill away from the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CaptainCap, Oct 6, 2022.

1. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

Tyreek Hill mentioned that when he saw the state taxes he had to pay if he played in New Jersey it was one reason on why he went to Miami. His state Tax bill in NJ would be about 3.2 Million compared to Miami at $459,000. I wonder if other players take that in consideration.

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Of course they do.

JetsNation06, Jets79 and Cman68 like this.
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

That is correct actually.

And to me, NFL has to account for player taxes and not include it in their Salary Cap calculations levelling the field.

Cman68, IDFjet, Leicester Jet and 2 others like this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I've heard that they do.

Taxes and the low chance of a ring probably keeps a lot of leveraged players away.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm glad we didn't get him; we aren't ready to chase players. Especially not mercenaries. If we get good enough to contend, players (though maybe not Hill in particular) will be willing to come here for reasons other than money. And then we can go get them.

Will-I-Am-Not and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  6. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

LMAO!!! Hill was never coming here especially with potentially Miami being a destination. Hill has a home down there as do most pro football players and that was the easy pick. I don't necessarily remember the trade packages for both teams, but no way Hill was resigning. As HomeoftheJets mentioned, we are not a place where top free agent/trade players want to go too at least as of now. Miami was the easy choice, especially with the pieces they already have and the new coach. Oh yeah it's really warm down here as well.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  7. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Who cares what he says, he could be lying he made his decision and now we have to beat him this weekend lol

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

To get Hill we would have had to have traded our two second picks, a pick swap and then paid him 25 million a year. That would mean no Hall, no JJ and we would have drafted someone other than Wilson plus the 25 million a year. While Hill is explosive and would have been a great player to have we might be a lot better off that he chose Miami. Hill might be better off too. I am glad we helped drive up the price Miami had too pay.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The formula for all young quarterbacks that is being written is to go get a big time receiver in year 2/3. The Bills did it with Diggs, the Eagles have done it with AJ Brown, and the Dolphins did it with Tua who is unfortunately out. So far it’s worked.

However, I do agree with you. Tyreek is a dude who beats his kids and girlfriend and he already won a SB/played in another. He was ready to cash in and chill out. He was not the right move for the Jets.

10. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

I'll caveat my posts by saying (I've been a fan since the mid 1980's) and I'm from England and not quite near enough to it........... but...........we come over regularly to watch the team.

I think there is a serious point to this.

If players with a choice, make decisions on the basis of tax obligations, then the salary cap rules need reviewing to make an adjustment for that.

That said. Hill is a very good player but an undesirable indivdual. We had a great draft and I'm happy how that worked out.

Our choices were made. It's time to back ourselves.

11. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

When a state has high taxes, some people will choose not to live/work in that state. It's not just a football thing.

There's not any practical way for the NFL to adjust the salary cap for that, because each player's effective tax rate will vary radically based on their individual circumstances. A Jets player who truly lives in New Jersey will pay the New Jersey rate on all their income, including home and away games in states that don't have an income tax. A Jets player who lives in Tennessee will only pay New Jersey taxes based only on the games they play in New Jersey. A lineman getting $300k/year will pay a different effective rate than a player whose married to, say, Gisele and has a marginal tax rate based on her income. Lots of other individual factors affect effective tax rates. There's no practical way to work around it.

Cman68, IDFjet and Borat like this.
  12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The downside for Hill is he has to live in Florida. Yikes.

LogeSection2RowJ, Nyjets4eva and Noam like this.
  13. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

He fits in

BroadwayAaron and Nyjets4eva like this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We would have lost Hall, but not JJ. We wouldn't draft GW. Probably we draft JJ at #10 or trade down a bit even and still get him plus some other assets. A lot depends on GW. If next year he is a star, we have 20+ mil extra CAP space to get other players plus Hall on rookie deal. If GW is just a good/solid receiver, but not a star, having Hill, who is top 5 receiver, is probably better. I am really hoping GW will make us forget all about Hill.

Agreed: there is not much NFL can do here. Business friendly states always get advantage, including the NFL team franchises. I don't think the advantage is massive, but there is an advantage. NJ politicians can do something about it, but they won't.

Jets79 likes this.
  15. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Yeah he’s just chillin out, leading the league in receiving yards. Lol

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Do you think that effort will last for the duration of his contract?

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Nobody is signing with the Jets unless we offer a significant bump over what they could get elsewhere. The taxes are part of it but the Jets reputation as a graveyard for careers is huge also.

The only way to get prime free agents to look at the Jets is to give them such a big package (C.J. Mosley) that they can't say no. Alternately we can do what both Maccagnan and Joe Douglas have done and give secondary tier free agents large deals that aren't available anywhere else.

The answer is to largely ignore free agency and bring a wave of kids in to grow with whomever the QB is. Max Mitchell was a surprise to the Jets but having a lineman come out of nowhere as a mid-rounds pick and win a job is a normal process for good teams that understand what they are doing. Note that Mitchell would never have gotten the job if several people in front of him on the depth chart hadn't gone down to injury.

Basically the Jets do almost everything bass-ackwards when it comes to finding talent and that's a major part of why the franchise sucks so badly year over year.

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Miami, a franchise historically known to carry on hall of fame careers and birth new ones.

bicketybam likes this.
  19. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

They have an out after 4 years so yeah probably. Even if he’s not dominant for 4, he’ll be great for 2-3 at least to make it worthwhile. He’s also a very underrated route runner, so while speed is obv the biggest part of his game, it’s not the only part of his game.

Attackett likes this.
  20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Tyreek is getting $30M per year. Ya, I'm OK with Miami paying that.

As far as taxes, after handing Uncle Sam 48.5% of his signing bonus and 48.5% of every game check, Tyreek's probably not in a mood to hand NJ millions more. There's a reason companies and millionaires/billionaires are fleeing the tri-state area for greener pastures.

azhar80, NYJ1970 and RochesterJet like this.