Did the Rams screw up?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by MParty7441, Apr 23, 2010.

1. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Is Bradford that much better than Clausen or McCoy?

Obviously, they didnt know both of them would drop out of the first round but....they could have had Suh and then taken Clausen/McCoy in the second round. That would have been a pair of amazing picks for the Rams.

2. Quack

Quack New Member

Yes. And yes they could have. I wouldn't have taken Bradford with the first, but I'm not a GM. It isn't fair for us to look back on it, though, because hindsight is 20/20 and the draft wouldn't have fallen the same way if they had. I'm glad they took Bradford, because that allowed for all of the shenanigans to take place that allowed for the Jets to get Wilson at 29.

3. 624

624 Banned

If you really like a QB, you have to take him....but it would have been a hell of a draft to get Suh and Clausen without having to trade anything.

4. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

If you need a QB and you like a QB for the #1 pick, you take him. End of story.

5. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Well, obviously it worked out well for our team b/c we got our guy, but whats the point of being a fan if you don't look back? I was just thinking about how they missed an amazing chance to really get a stud DT and a pretty solid QB. Especially b/c it seems Bradford was almost their default pick.

6. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I didn't think Clausen falling out of the first round was very likely, and I'm sure the Rams FO felt the same way.

7. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Suh/Clausen would've been amazing for them, better than Bradford and whoever they take in the 2nd, but there's no way they could have assumed that Clausen would have fallen that far.

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Suh/Clausen for the Rams would've been a major coup for that franchise.

Just goes to show that you never know how the board is going to fall.

9. ........

........ Trolls

Yes. Yes they did.

I'd say it was an honest mistake to make, but so many of us thought Suh was the better pick going in. I assumed they'd be grabbing McCoy to start the 2nd round in that situation, but Clausen!?! Hooooooo boy, they could have had a phenomenal draft.

10. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

I think if the Rams would have taken Suh, then someone would have traded back into the latter half of the 1st to take Clausen.

They would have been stuck with McCoy, who isn't near the prospect that Clausen or Bradford is.

11. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

I think that no one in a league front office believes Claussen is a franchise QB. If you think you can get a franchise guy it is worth more than a great D-lineman and a Tim Couch, Brady Quinn, Joey Harrington type

12. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I'm still in shock Tebow went b4 Clausen. Furthermore, McShay ends up looking like a genious as he was probably the only person who felt Clausen was worthy of a 1st round pick. I tell you one thing whoever gets Clausen is going to have one motivated SOB with a massive chip on his shoulder.

KC could end up w/ Berry and Clausen. That would be a pretty good draft for them.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They should have taken Suh, he's the player most likely to make a huge impact in the NFL. Bradford is a top 10 prospect sullied by the two shoulder injuries. He should have probably gone late first or early second based on the fact that he's a real risk to blow out the arm every time he hits the turf wrong.

The thing that's interesting to me is that Mark Sanchez probably would have been the runaway #1 pick in this draft if he stayed in school. That's a huge amount of value we got last year with the trade-up.

14. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

I think the Vikes will take Clausen at 34.

15. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I pretty much agree with everything you just said. I thought Bradfords shoulder would doom him. If Sanchez had a solid year @ USC and there would be no reason to suspect he wouldn't, he would easily be the #1 pick.

Just watching this draft and listening, I do not think any QB prospect elicited much excitement, certainly not like last year with Stafford & Sanchez . I have never seen the pundits that lukewarm about a #1 pick QB in my life, as they were about Bradford.

16. akibud

akibud Active Member

So, now I'm looking like a draft guru, it only made sense to me. Suh was the best player in the draft. and I was pretty sure the next QB after Bradford would be available in the late first early second. Didn't see Tebow being that guy though. They could have setup their franchise just like the Chargers did a few years back with Brees and LT. But I suspect the reason they took Bradford is also financial. Much like when the Giants took Manning, he was not the better QB then, (still isn't) but they were looking to sell jerseys while hoping to draft a winner. Same thing here with the Rams.

17. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Even if Clausen, Bradford and Tebow all got taken in the first round, the Rams fucked up.

18. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Who knows what they do in the rest of the draft but certainly taking Suh was an option, another alternative was they could have attempted to trade the pick to the Skins for Haynesworth and the #4 and still gotten Bradford. They may also have traded the pick to the Steelers for Big Ben who certainly came with risks but is certainly a much better QB then anybody in this draft. They still have no weapons for Bradford to throw to and nobody to protect him. That being said I don't think anybody saw Clausen falling into day 2. If the Vikes don't take him then I'm almost certain Cleveland does as well because they seem to really like Colt but how about Buffalo? Could you imagine if the Bills got both Spiller and Clausen? That's be a great 1st two picks for them.

#18 Barry the Baptist, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  19. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Im not big on Bradford so for me i think they did. I would have went after Gerald McCoy or Suh and then with the 1st pick in the 2nd Round i would have drafted Clausen but it goes both ways because who would have thought Clausen would have still been there i thought he would have been gone late in round 1.

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I think they really messed up.

I said it months ago...how can a team with a shitty O-Line give a guy with a bad shoulder 50 million guaranteed? God forbid, the left guard lets a weak side bandit through who drills Bradford into the turf in St. Louis, he could be done...

Of course, they didn't know how the cards would fall but, the picture would have become apparent toward the middle to back end of the draft.

I think they should have taken Suh.