Did Stafford get ball into EndZone

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Endlessly Counting, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

This is not a "Jets got screwed again" thread, but in every replay I saw on Stafford's TD, it looked like he never got the ball into the end zone.

None of he announcers mentioned it, (no surprise there) but a few posters pointed it out.

When he put his foot into the end zone, the ball was back around the 2. To me it looked like the ball was out of bounds. I just saw it again on Red Zone

My history has shown that if I'm the only one who thinks something is right, I'm probably wrong. :mad: Does anyone know what happened here?

2. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Does it really matter?

The Lions would have had the ball on the one, and Stafford would have gotten in.

And considering the way our offenseive performance today I highly doubt we would have scored.

3. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

I always thought it was both feet and/or ball.

I think there was a play similar on TD catch a few years in a Steelers/Ravens game.

4. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#4 soxxx, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
    Endlessly Counting likes this.
  5. Endlessly Counting

I said it wasn't a complaining thread
    I want to know why no one caught that.

Is there a new rule that says you don't have to get the ball into the EZ if you touch the pylon?

#5 Endlessly Counting, Sep 28, 2014
  6. New England Patriots

New England Patriots Well-Known Member

The ball must hit the line.

Edit: to be clear, it must cross the plane of the line.

Royal Tee likes this.
  7. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

didn't seem like ihe did but that's not the difference this week IMO.

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Just another example of the NFL's stellar officiating. but the college refs were a problem.

10. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

I believe you only have to cross the plane if you go airborne.

Found an example from the rulebook:

Second-and-10 on B18. Runner A1 takes handoff and runs down the sideline toward the goal line with the ball in his outside arm. He crosses the goal line plane standing with the ball to the outside of the pylon.
    Ruling: Touchdown. Part of the ball crossing over or inside the pylon only applies to an airborne runner who lands out of bounds.

#10 DisgruntledLionFan, Sep 28, 2014
    1968jetsfan likes this.
  11. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Ok so here is my little conspiracy, when the refs came out they said "the ruling on the field stands", which means that the video evidence was not enough to confirm/overturn the call. Well wait a second? how is that possible? This wasnt a bang-bang play, it was a goaline play where the ball had to cross the plane. Either it did or it didnt. So what does that mean? FOX never showed the an angle from straight away on the goaline? which unfathomable considering all the broadcasts show that angle whenever there is a play like that.

Im not sure exactly how it works but I believe the guys making the call only see the angles that the broadcast gives them. I mean how can you not confirm/overturn this play? it was clear as daylight, and it was either it crossed or it didnt.....

12. Jetnad

Jetnad Member

pylon=TD stop making excuses

A.R. 11.2 Second-and-10 on B18. Runner A1 takes handoff and runs down the sideline toward the goal line with the ball in his outside arm. He crosses the goal line plane standing with the ball to the outside of the pylon.
    Ruling: Touchdown. Part of the ball crossing over or inside the pylon only applies to an airborne runner who lands out of bounds

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

TD=football crossing the plane of the endzone.

When a player's entire body is out of bounds and he reaches to put the football over the plane, that is a touchdown.

When a back's entire body is in front of the goal line but the ball crosses the plane, that is a touchdown.

Somehow we are supposed to accept that when a quarterback's entire body not including the hand carrying the ball crosses the plane, that this is a touchdown.

Flies in the face of logic and stupid fans.

alleycat9 likes this.
  14. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

You people are joking, right? THAT's what you think of after a shitty loss? Even so, if he didn't get in (which he did, open your fucking eyes) they would have scored on the next play anyway.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Grow a fucking brain already. This thread is about one play. There are a dozen other threads where you can wring out your tampon over the loss.

alleycat9 likes this.
  16. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

I didn't think the ball crossed the goal line, he moved the ball away right before he stepped out of bounds.

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Agreed never saw the ball crossing the plane of the goal line just that he got his feet inside the pylon. But I wouldn't classify this as us getting screwed though. If it was not called a TD, there wouldn't have been enough to overturn that either.

18. Endlessly Counting

#1 This is an inquiry about a rule. No excuses are being made. First post was very clear.
    #2 Thanks for the rule cite (although I think this is an interpretation example). However, I think that this rule applies to a runner whose entire body crosses the goal in the traditional manner and the ball happens to cross the goal line out of bounds. I would have liked to hear what Pereria had to say about his.

19. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Keep dwelling on something that had no effect on the outcome of this game.. It was a TD... And even if it wasn't, the Lions put up 6 on the next play, who cares?

20. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

Exactly it would of changed nothing