Did I Watch the Same Game?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by johnny, Oct 27, 2008.

1. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Well I just watched the NFL Replay (30 minutes) and I must say that I am at a loss to explain the issue the people are having with the playcalling by Schott in this game. Speaking only about the offensive side of the ball the Jets:

1) Did score 28 points. You would think from all of the complaints that the Jets scored 13 again like they did against the Raiders.

2) Missed a fairly easy field goal to leave three more points on the field.

3) Gained well over 400 yards of total offense.

4) Punted the ball only once and not until about six minutes left to go in the game.

5) Had numerous play action passes (probably about 4-5 maybe 6 of them).

6) Moved the ball consistently against the Chiefs and were only stopped by Favre's interceptions (and I don't want to get into a Favre / Chad thing here).

Well, what is there to complain about? The Jets didn't run enough? Who cares? If the Jets hadn't been successful passing the ball then you could complain. However, the pass was working fine. The Jets scored or had a field goal attempt on nearly every drive that didn't end in an INT.

The third and one play that eveyone is complaining about was a play-action pass reminiscent of what worked well against the Cards. IMHO the fact that Favre (and again I don't want to get into a Favre discussion here) threw into double coverage rather than try to complete a short pass for the first down is not the coaching staff's fault.

Would people still be bitching if the Jets won 34-17 (adding six points to the Jets and removing the the Chiefs last TD)? You could complain about only beating the Chiefs by four points. However, if you take into account that the Jets missed a FG, were driving for another one before #4's last INT, and gave up the ball on two other INT's, what type of offensive output would you expect?

2. JetFanInTampa

JetFanInTampa Banned

I thought they should have run the ball a little more, but not bad playcalling today. We scored 28 and could have had alot more if it werent for the ints and the missed fg.

3. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

They ran the ball only 9 friggin times in the first half against a pathetic team, and never in the situations when they SHOULD have run it. I have a lot of problems with the play calling today.

4. zoobooz

zoobooz Member

Imagine if we didn't just pass every down and actually tried to balance out the offense, maybe make the opposing defense try to defend the run and the pass! Play action isn't that great when all you do is pass (see Chiefs). Of course, when you are running the ball play action could actually be a nice surprise, but it likely won't get called then (see Raiders).

Favre might not be getting up shaking his arm every other play, either. Plus, the less I have to see of this defense lately, the better.

5. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

If the playcalling were so bad then the Jets would have been punting the ball instead of scoring two TD's and getting in a position for an pretty easy field goal. That would have been 17 points in the first half (with no punts). Does the run - pass balance mean more than putting points on the scoreboard? So if Favre throws into double coverage on a third and one play-action pass that's the CS fault?

6. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

the decisions to throw into double and triple coverage are obviously on favre... but shotty HAS TO run the ball at least twice as much as he did.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Who saw Tyler Thigpen act like Joe Montana?

8. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Did you miss all the turnovers, including the pick 6? Yeah you must have been watching a different game. In the NFL, generally if you turn the ball over 3 times you're not going to win many games. The Chiefs are probably the only team in the NFL that you can turn the ball over against and barely scrape by with a win. The other teams would just blow you out, including the rest of our schedule.

9. steviep

steviep Active Member

But his point is that goes on the QB.
    Run too much -- and people complain -- you hired a gunslinger.
    Pass to much -- and people complaint -- too many interceptions.

They ran the ball last week down oaklands throat and it got them a big L.

I am a little more troubled that the defense gave up points to this team. Any points.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

If they ran too much, I wouldn't complain - they faced the worst rushing Defense in the NFL.

I don't care about Favre and the picks. He did come back and win the game at the end. Packer fans said that he will do that all the time.

They didn't run the ball early enough against the Raiders. They played a passive game.

The defense has multiple high end talents on it, but is hindered by the fool calling the plays.

One TD was a pick 6. So 17 pts to Tyler Thigpen and Jamaal Charles.

11. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

You're right...

But rational people see games where you should pass more and games you should throw more, and it seems like we're trying to trick ourselves sometimes. Favre throws dink and dunk when we should be at least mixing it up a little, and he throws deep when we really should just keep running the ball. Some play calls boggled my mind though, some shotgun formations on like 4th and 1, or nobody in the backfield certain plays to even provide the threat of a run. Thomas Jones and Leon Washington could have probably run for 80 yards each if we wanted to, and we wouldn't have turned the ball over as much, and the game might have been over earlier.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Wait a minute. What are you smoking? Jets didn't run enough when they had to, then they overdid it when they shouldn't have.

Look up the thread if you care. You'll see me bitching about not running in the early part of the game, then not passing enough in the second half (and overtime.) Sad part is, usually after I bitch about play call, Jets did some more dumb shit (to their stupid tunes) then ended up punting. It's not even like I was bitching AFTER they failed at it. Ok?

The problem is not the balance. It's just that clueless play calling from the OC. He just staunchly refuses to adapt even when his things are not working. That's bothersome.

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

That's exactly how I felt about the Oakland game. This game, not so much, I just felt we should have run it more. We passed it plenty enough.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I don't think you watched the game then b/c much like the last 2 weeks we gave away too mnay opportunities. This game should never have been close and if not for #4 it wouldn't have been close. The offense was bad, Leon did a great job getting us great FP and making plays but if not for him we get beat.

15. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I agree as well.

16. thejetsaddict

thejetsaddict New Member

They finally PA passed considering the oakland game contained 0. However we didnt run the ball at all today so y would the PA pass work? Thats right, it didnt, Coles was consistently double covered down field.

Brett's ints mayhave been limited a little more if we had actually RAN the ball on the worst rushing defense in the NFL. Yes we won and Im happy we did, but it was ugly and I think if the coaches had planned better it would not have been. If we stuff the ball down thier throat we win in dominating fashion, but no, once again we played down to their level and didnt make any adjustments. Y not run the ball when your ahead late in the game. Kill the clock and move the ball!

Other than that, and the obvious bad decisions by Favre it was ok.

17. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

For me, they get conservative when they should be agressive, and get agressive when they should be conservative.

2nd drive: We have the ball on the Chiefs 20 yd. line. 2 runs and a screen pass. Basically playing for the FG. Not one pass to the End Zone or reciever. Missed FG

4th qtr: Up 4 point with 8 minutes to go. 3rd and 2 inside Chiefs 10 yd line. At this point I am thinking run the ball, pick up the first or kick a FG that would give us a 7 pt. lead. Nope, not even a running formation. God damm shotgun and pass intercepted and run back for a TD

I blame Mangini for this. How can you not play for a FG at that point!!!! Favre or no Favre, you manage the game for the team to win, not the QB. I am sorry, that was stupid and almost caused us the season. Just stupid stuff

18. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

I didn't think they had too bad of a game play-calling wise. Not compared to alst week.

19. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I am talking about yesterday's game not against the Raiders and specifically about the effectiveness of the play-calling on the offensive side of the ball. I'm not talking about Favre in this thread. My point was that the offense did execute on nearly every drive vs. the Chiefs except for the INT's.

Therefore, the "lack of balance" arguement doesn't hold water because the Jets were effective at moving the ball and it was only bad plays by Favre (and I don't want to get into that arguement here) and a missed field goal that caused the game to be so close.

You could argue that we should have ran it when the Jets had third and two from the redzone (on Favre's pick). I would probably agree with you there. I at least would have had a formation that you could run out of. If Feely had made the 36 yarder earlier and the Jets were up already by one TD and a FG would have put them up by two scores they might have opted for the run in that situation.

My point was that I heard a bunch as people complaining about the play-calling when the Jets scored 28 and easily could have had 34 without the benefit of any turnovers created by the defense. My friends, 34 points is pretty good offensive output.

20. JetDynasty

JetDynasty Active Member

if it wasnt for leon we would have lost..

up 21-17 with 2 minutes left favre throws a retarded pick...we got lucky to win this game

yea were 4-3 but we have terrible issues with play calling and execution (FAVRE!)

anyone see chad carve the bills? he threw alot of dumb picks huh?

im going to the game in buffalo this week....sadly i will be wearing my cotchery jersey only to see us get blasted by the bills...estimated favre throws 4 picks...and we rush 1 down lineman...and we lose 31-10