Did Darnold Progress, digress, egress? (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Aug 25, 2018.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Real quick: I love the Jets. Have my whole life.

Darnold: 8/16 86 yards 1 TD 0 INT

Darnold looked pretty good against the Giants' #1's tonight. Made some nice adjustments at the line of scrimmage. Had a near perfect opening drive, ending with a Powell Touchdown. Then threw a touchdown to Pryor. I think he locked up the starting job tonight. Unfortunately, the rest of his team did not look great.

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Loved Sam throwing the ball away on broken plays.

The receivers left him out to dry tonight.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned the only question the Jets had to answer in the preseason was whether or not Darnold was ready to compete in the NFL or whether he would be overwhelmed. I'd fully supporting sitting him and letting him learn if he wasn't ready but that isn't the case. He is obviously still a rookie, but he looks poised and not out of his depth at all. He is the future of this franchise for the next several years and if the Jets have any sense they will let him start form day 1 and get all the experience he can get this year. It's not like we are a playoff team with Bridgewater or McCown and starting Darnold puts that at risk. We'll be very lucky to win 7 or 8 games this year no matter who starts. Hopefully its Darnold.

Pags2112, SOJAZ, BudJet and 4 others like this.
  4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Nothing happened today that suggests that anything has changed, so I'll be very surprised if he isn't the starter.

Pags2112 and The Dark Knight like this.
  5. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

He's poised, commands the huddle, effectively reads the defenses, goes through his progressions, and gives his receivers a chance to make plays. What more could you ask for at this point? He's an NFL Quarterback and he's only going to get better with time.

Pags2112, Jay Bizniss, SOJAZ and 4 others like this.
  6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

7. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

8/16 not good, but when you watch it you get a better idea of why. He through away A LOT of balls (at least 4 I think) and had at least two drops I can remember off the top of my head.

BudJet likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With the way the team is looking, I think we'll be lucky to win 5 games. While I still have some concerns with Darnold getting injured or taking a beating that will affect him later, he is poised and playing well, and this team needs all the help it can get and needs to get a pick or picks for Teddy, so I have changed my mind. The Jets should go ahead and start Darnold and let him learn while he's playing. Trade Teddy for as much as they can as soon as they can. McCown can be the backup, and they can sign some young QB camp cut, and if Darnold and McCown go down with injuries they can sign Kaepernick to finish the season.

A 5-win season (or less) will be better for the team in the long run anyway, as it will do two very good things for the Jets. One, put us in perfect draft position to get our future LT and a pass rusher with our 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2019 draft (the 2nd and an additional 4th coming in the Teddy trade). Then with our 3rd round pick we can draft a RB, and with our two 4th round picks and the rest we can draft STs players; and two, fire Bowles and hire a competent CS.

Noam and Red Menace like this.
  9. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

This will turn into Sanchez 2.0 if he starts behind this Oline. Hes ready to start if we can protect him and once the season starts and teams are playing for keeps they will not be able to protect him. Bridge water has tunnel vision post snap and will be forced to check down all night like he did last night. As much as it pains me to say this neither of them should start.

10. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

Just watched the tape of every Darnold pass. On my count, out of the 16 attempts (and of the 8 incompletions) he only had two what I would call "bad" incompletions. First was when he had the intentional grounding, which was a bad rookie mistake. Really derailed that drive honestly. So that's a ding on him. The other was the one that was batted down at the line. That was on the two minute drill and was ALMOST a bad pick. Other than that, he had 2 balls thrown away, 2 straight-up DROPS, and then two other ones which were good throws (one the guy couldn't stay in bounds and the other it was a tough catch to make in traffic-could be argued as another drop).

He has been very efficient. Certainly encouraging. Now, do I think he should start right away because he is clearly the next coming of Joe Montana? NO. I think what he's shown has been good enough to have me encouraged but not "WOW!" enough to warrant that. But I'm not the coach.

tiger8mush likes this.
  11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

When he’s in the pocket he looks like a magnet being repelled by other magnets (unfortunately his own OL).

It’s really impressive to watch him, and really depressing to watch the OL.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

Lmao you gotta be kidding me. QBs drafted highly always go to a bad team this isn’t an isolated case

13. JdotGriff

I dont understand how thats related to my post

My point if you missed it is that if Darnold has to deal with being pounded all season we could ruin a shot at a legit QB finally being on this roster. You have to be able to protect him at least partially.

14. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I wonder if it was just me or that it seemed like just about every pass play, Sam was running for his life or even just being chased out of the pocket? This OL doesn't deserve a good QB.

JdotGriff likes this.
  15. JdotGriff

By the 2nd QTR you could tell he was nervous kept jumping around like he was expecting to get blasted from some where every play. Even on that play he took off for 20 yards he had two recievers that had blown by their coverage.

BomberJet likes this.
  16. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

He’s gonna be fine it’s still an upgrade over the line he had at southern cal. Darnolds gotta learn to take the lumps in the bad times first it’s unlikely we’re ever gonna have the perfect offense for him

FJF and LF911SC like this.
  17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

...or did he stay at the stadium overnight to watch game tape?

18. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Nothing in his play all preseason and in camp suggests that hes not ready to compete or in over his head. Hes the guy moving forward

19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

So he’s going to win playoff games?

FJF likes this.
  20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The game will slow down for him, defenses are only going to be more deceptive when the season starts.

He will be fine, let him start, gain some experience, run the ball a lot even if it’s boring just to get the bugs worked out.