Devonta Smith needs to be a Jet

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ouchy, Mar 16, 2021.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Since there are 6 weeks left before the draft I'll put all my Devonta Smith rants into this thread so I don't spam the board with topics (pleas).

In his latest interview he states, "Whoever takes me, from day 1, as soon as I step into the building, I'm all business. I'm going to be the hardest worker on the team".

This guy is a natural born leader while still humble. He is the kind of rare star player that is a pillar to build a championship team around.

Lets start with his freshmen year. They wanted him to red shirt to gain weight. He declined and became the 5th WR. In order to get on the field more he agreed to play a few games at CB.

That season he only had 8 targets for 165 yards. Here are 2 of those 8 catches:

Talk about clutch. Two of his 8 catches as a freshmen were game winners - including the National Championship. I guess they are glad he didn't red shirt.

He is the best clutch college wideout I've ever seen. He is the best WR we will ever have a chance to draft. Devonta Smith will change our fortunes on offense for the next decade.

#1 ouchy, Mar 16, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

How many threads are you going to make about Devonta Smith, only to regurgitate the same thing you've posted 100 times?

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Pretty surer I've clarified that in the first sentence?

However, I will continue because there is no other pick that can help the Jets as much as Smith.

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

You made a thread about him exactly one week ago.....

REVISion likes this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I wont spam up the board anymore if you dont spam up this thread anymore.

6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

But that's your best shot at hitting a dozen replies! Oh look, I gave you a freebie!

dawinner127 and NYJFOREVER like this.
  7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

He’s awesome and if I am the GM and I can’t trade back he’s the pick. BUT I don’t see this to be the case

ouchy likes this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It'd be really nice to get the Falcons to come for the #2 and a QB.

That'd leave us Smith on the #4 plus some real value elsewhere.

I'm also pretty sold on Smith as the guy most likely to be a big star in this class. He's just been too good against the odds in a huge pond at Alabama.

ouchy likes this.
  9. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Look guy, I love Smith too, but you can post a hundred threads and it won't affect the chances of him being drafted by the Jets, even if you manage to convince everyone on the board.

ouchy likes this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

That's true but here's the thing. On the general board I spent weeks on the Watson mega threads with everyone posting the same points over and over - sometimes a day. The same thing with the Darnold threads. I decided that I'd rather do that about Smith because he is the choice that would make us the best team. Attaining Smith is more meaningful to me then all the QB threads. It kind of alarms me that so many value Zack Wilson over him. You don't pass over a chance to get a guy like Smith. Its what I want to discuss.

#10 ouchy, Mar 16, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    westiedog1 and Br4d like this.
  11. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

I’m not even convinced Smith is the best WR in the class -

Smith is 174 lbs and a year+ older than Jamar Chase (who is 35 lbs heavier).

Hard to compare them this year as Chase sat out...

But if you were to compare them as prospects at the same age (19-20), Chase was far better.

NYJFOREVER, KY Jets Fan and FJF like this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Was Chase better as a sophomore? Smith had a great sophomore season, but he was behind guys like Ridley and Juedy. What matters is who is better right now.

Here is my comparison between the two:

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/wr-chase-vs-smith-comparison.95207/

13. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

We're picking a QB at #2 and it's most likely going to be Zach Wilson. Unless Smith falls to 23, we're probably not taking him. 23 will probably be a CB, linebacker, or guard.

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Even with the Davis signing, I wouldn't rule out a WR if Bateman's still available.

ouchy likes this.
  15. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Yes Chase was better -

Chase was LSU’s clear #1 WR despite being younger than Jefferson, Jefferson set an NFL rookie record with 1400 yards + has proven so far to be better than all those Alabama WR’s that started over Smith.

With that, the Jets now have 2 WR’s capable of 1k yards in Mims/Davis and they have Crowder working in the slot. They have Perryman to stretch the field.

Yes taking a Chase or Smith would be an upgrade, but they don’t have the glaring need at WR that they once had + I doubt they go that direction with pick 2...

Wilson/Fields or trade out of #2 makes the most sense. From there it’s either Pitts, Oline or one of the top 3 WR’s.

Taking Smith at pick #2 is not smart + not happening.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

That is not how you determine who is potentially better. And Chase was the #2 WR most of that year, and he had the bulk of his success against #2 corners.

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If we want to eventually compete for the division, and compete with teams like KC, we need an unstoppable WR. A game changer.

Its our one chance to take the best prospect in decades?

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

because guys liek calvin johnson, andre johnson, TO, ocho cinco, randy moss, larry fitzgerald etc won so many championships. You need a full team. the pats won 6 and made 9 without having any elite WRs really except for 3 years of randy moss and in those 3 years they made 1 and lost it. it takes good coaching and a well rounded team to win

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

TO, Moss, and Fitzgerald did play a huge role in getting their teams to a SB?

I'm talking about electrifying our offense so we can score with the big boys.

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

cheifs had the most electric offense in the NFL. how did that work in the SB?

I get we are tired of boring offense but JD is trying to build a team. not wow fans with a play here and there