Devin Smith Likely To Start Year on PUP List - Miss 1st 6 weeks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 88toon, Jun 7, 2016.

1. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Thompkins or Peake need to step up. Was hoping Smith would have a full season to see what he has. Not looking good.....

This isn’t exactly how Devin Smith envisioned the start to his NFL career.

After having surgery in December to repair a ruptured ACL that cost him the majority of the 2015 season, Smith isn’t close to returning to the field. In fact, according to NJAM, it’s “likely” Smith starts the year on the physically unable to perform list.

If that were to happen, Smith would be sidelined Weeks 1-6.

Selected by the Jets in the second round of last year’s draft, Smith arrived in Florham Park with high expectations. Coming off a stellar four-year career at Ohio State where he established himself as one of the nation’s best deep threats (averaged 28.2 yards per catch as a senior), Smith had Jets fans dreaming of what he could bring to the team’s offense.

And during the offseason of his rookie year, there were visual glimpses. Near every practice, the wideout made some play that had all reporters in attendance ooh-ing and ahh-ing.

“He’s fast, all the things that you’ve seen on film in college,”Jets coach Todd Bowles said during Jets rookie camp last year. “He’s fast, and we know that. It’s about understanding the offense right now and they’re not going to get it in two days.

“He’s a tough kid. He’s smart. He’s a hard worker. That’s what I like about him and we’ll see going forward what he does.”

Unfortunately for Smith, the early signs of promise came to an abrupt halt.

Early in training camp, Smith got deep behind cornerback Marcus Williams during a team drill and quarterback Geno Smith threw it up. Geno Smith’s pass was behind Smith, which forced the wideout to cut his route short, and jump back to the ball.

Smith went up, collided with Williams in the air and pulled the ball into his body before coming crashing to the ground. The play was one of the best in all Jets practices last summer. . .

And it was also the last Smith made.

Upon crashing to the ground, Smith fractured his ribs and punctured his lung. He missed the remainder of camp, and didn’t return to the Jets lineup again until Week 3 against the Philadelphia Eagles.

While Smith was technically “on the field,” he wasn’t much help to New York’s offense. It was very clear the time missed had the receiver behind the eight ball. Then, just as he started to get comfortable again, another setback.

Against the Tennessee Titans Week 14, Smith ruptured his ACL. He’s been sidelined ever since.

“It was bad timing because I felt myself coming along and getting better,” Smith told NJAM. “I was really looking forward to the rest of the season. I was really trying to maximize my talent. It was unfortunate that it happened.”

Now, Smith’s playing the waiting game.

With Smith sidelined, and his return date a giant “TBD,” Kenbrell Thompkins has been stepping up in his place.

The Jets will conclude their OTA workouts this Thursday, report for mandatory veteran minicamp next week (June 14-16), then break before coming back to Florham Park for training camp.

Connor Hughes covers the Jets and is the managing editor of Jets Wire.He can be reached on Twitter (@Connor_J_Hughes), or via email (chughes@usatoday.com)

donkey likes this.
  2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Sounds like Ras-I Smith is properly broken.

We don't have a deep threat now so may as well bring Fitz back. He can throw his 10 yard wobbly spirals to Marshall.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Best case scenario is for Smith to take a HUGE leap in Year 3. Hope he can do it!

Walt White likes this.
  4. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

complete bust, fire Mac now.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Time is running out for both him and Milliner. Perhaps both should re-evaluate their Football careers at this point and choose another line of work.

TNJet likes this.
  6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Milliner, yes. Smith? Really?

All Gas No Shake, Big Cat and LWC611 like this.
  7. Cman68

Smith has to prove two things: First, that he can heal up and play at an elite level. Second: He can take a hit and stay on the field. So far we have no evidence of either. Bad luck perhaps, but in the end Bowles can't hold a roster spot for two guys that aren't playing.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Smith has a lot to prove but he's only a 2nd year guy. To say his time is running out is accurate in so much as every rookie who doesn't come in and start right away has their time running out. Other than that, it seems a bit extreme.

9. Cman68

If the kid actually played, I would agree. However, his first major test is getting off the PUP/IR list and back on the field. If he can't do that in a timely manner, the team has a decision to make. Smith doesn't have a very impressive body of work to fall back on so far. The team has to determine if Smith can stay healthy, stay on the field, and on top of that play at the level they envisioned when they drafted him in the 2nd. rd. The jury will not stay out forever.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Teams typically give 2nd round picks more time to catch on. He hasn't done anything to impress anyone yet, but his draft status should keep him employed for at least this year and next.

11. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

This is pretty much as expected. Can't imagine he's going to see a lot of action once he gets back unless we have an injury in the WR corp.

_

12. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

Well...at least Enunwa turned out to be a good player from nowhere. Him and Fitz had very little chemistry last year because of his lack of playing time. Hoping Thompkins or Peake emerges.

13. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Terrible news. What is with our 2nd round picks? I think that we are setting historic precedents in suckage of picking players in that round. Whiffing on 2nd rounders that were mostly offensive players is the reason why we are in our situation. Trade out of the round if theres no one good for christ sake!

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

pretty sure you called this right after the diagnosis came out

15. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

No he didn't.

16. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

He was expected to miss the start of the season. This isn't that surprising. Of course we can keep talking about what a bad pick it is for the next ten pages. Let's talk about EVERY bad second round pick we've ever had. Any of you guys got a paper cut.... here, let me poor lemon juice on it.

17. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

You don't think he's a contributor? I think he'll be a productive member of our offense next year.

18. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

There's a difference between contributor and "good player". I just as easily believe Kerley could have done the same job.

19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Bet he still sees the field before Stephen Hill does.

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Next year Smith will be entering his 3rd season in the NFL without ever suffering through a single training camp. Kid's smart!