Deshaun Watson suspended 6 games

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Ralebird, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Six games. Now we will wait up to three days to see if the NFL will appeal...to Goodell. What a system.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

haha 6 games

at least he will miss week 2, Jets @ Browns... we can look forward to battling it out with Jacoby Brissett

dawinner127 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Sounds about right imo..plus we also might get a free Win here

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Still trying to wrap my head around the Browns giving a serial sexual assault predator with numerous pending legal suits and a pending NFL suspension who didn't play last year a fully guaranteed 5 year-deal that leaves only Aaron Rodgers as making more per year. And giving multiple first round picks and more for him. The first part is most important by far, but the details of the trade and contract just make it further insane. I can't even look at this guy anymore - very glad it wasn't the Jets who acquired him.

Lol, 6 game suspension for that... What do you get for smoking weed, like 4 games?

abyzmul likes this.
  6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Pretty hard to reconcile this relative to other suspensions. Zeke got the same suspension for a single sexual assault allegation, no?

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

On the competitive side, the Pats get in just under the deadline (they play Clev. week 6), but the phins and bills will get Jackson.

8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I haven't followed closely--was he convicted of a crime?

Ralebird likes this.
  9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I don't think he was indicted. He had 24 lawsuits alleging sexual assault/misconduct.

10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He's a good guy with a penis.

Acad23 likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

No he wasn't even charged with a crime. The grand jury declined to indict

Ralebird likes this.
  12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'm in the minority but I'm absolutely fine with no punishment then. If he resolved it with these people to whatever level so there's no prosecution, why does he need to be further punished. His reputation is destroyed, he missed a year already--you guys and the millions of others who agree with you only want blood. What is driving this thirst for destruction--you should ask yourselves that.

13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The interesting thing to me about this is that the judge completely missed the point of this new system, at least from the point of view of the NFL. The NFL wanted it to get away from the bad publicity they got from suspensions in the past - they wanted a clear fresh start, with someone presumably unbiased deciding what that fresh start should be. Instead, the judge explicitly made her decision on the basis of precedent from earlier suspensions, making the entire exercise pointless.

Losmeister likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

I agree with you, that's been my take the whole way and I freakin hated Watson at Clemson and always hated the Browns

IDFjet likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the thing was he didn't miss a year. he held out and refused to play and the texans didn't want to piss him off further because of his no trade clause so they paid him a year to do nothing.
    also the NFL standard for "code of conduct" isn't just doing illegal stuff. it goes to more

https://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2017/08/11/0ap3000000828506.pdf

here is an excerpt

But even if the conduct does not result in a criminal conviction, players
    found to have engaged in any of the following conduct will be subject to discipline. Prohibited conduct
    includes but is not limited to the following:
     Assault and/or battery, including sexual assault or other sex offenses;
     Stalking, harassment, or similar forms of intimidation

I don't see anyway he isn't guilty of that per the code of conduct even if they can't get a conviction or if cases settled. He also isn't fully settled. I believe 2 of the cases are still ongoing and 22 settled out.

ouchy likes this.
  16. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

the NFL basically says " women? who gives af?" shameful.

joe, Acad23, cval and 1 other person like this.
  17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Having an unpopular or differing opinion is what makes a discussion a discussion. That out of the way, hahahaha, as if his "reputation is destroyed" matters here or better yet, as if he cares. Correct, not indicted; but in the Court of Public Opinion, if even one of those allegations are true - and I think the chances of that are very, very high - I wouldn't touch Deshaun Watson with essential oils from a hundred miles away if you paid me. Heh.

Woody the rube was probably playing badminton poorly or failing at croquet or something like that when a good portion of the fanbase were big on the Jets going after Watson (which was a good thing). I'm thinking Joe Douglas told Woody Johnson that although the allegations were numerous it was a great idea to get Watson at all costs. Woody Johnson with his infinite football knowledge said no, Joe, it's a horrible idea. Mission accomplished, atta boy, Joe.

I don't think it's a "thirst for destruction" to the level you're implying, haha, c'mon. Anyway, at the end of the day someone NOT named the Jets for once was dumb enough to sink so much into a player who at best exercised horrible judgment. Heh, again.

Roethlisrapist, also not indicted (*cough coverup cough*), got six games and the suspension was later reduced to four games. I guess it was because he didn't rape anyone over the Summer before the season started . . . ? o_O

It's all a farce and a charade. No-one cares about morality much less doing what's right whatever the case may be. It's about the image of the NFL not somehow being seen as a root cause or a part of the problem. That, and whatever action, non-action, or inaction could potentially cause a hit to the NFL's pocket. Has that ever actually happened to anything beyond an insignificant degree if at all, anyway?

joe and IDFjet like this.
  18. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

19. BrowningNagle

abyzmul likes this.
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Did they? An independent arbitrator handed down the punishment