Derrick Strait released

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by plinko, Oct 11, 2006.

1. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/460587p-387505c.html

Didn't see this is in the thread yet. Kind of a rough road for him this year.

2. Jerome 84

Jerome 84 New Member

Wow, I did not see that one coming...What possible good could this do? I can't imagine that Strait's cap number was big, and is there anybody tearing up the practice squad Mangini just didn't have room for? Seems like a motivational type move to me...

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Wait, didn't Cleveland want to trade for him?! What a waste.

4. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

eric smith, step up :)

5. Coach K

Coach K New Member

how about the fact we sign Poteat instead..........maybe theyre :drunk:

6. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

wow i thought strait was pretty good too...didn't see this coming

7. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

Enough of the Patsies rejects already...

8. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

the Fins released Lee Suggs as well, so it's a perfect opportunity to get what he wanted all long :)

9. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Poteat has the Pats gameplan v the Dolphins memorised, so that could be a boost for the next game...maybe.

10. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Lee Suggs obviously was not as healthy as the Brownies claimed. Hopefully Strait can get a job. He isn't as good as some people around here say, but he has never really had a chance.

11. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

And he was starting over Erik Coleman not that long ago.

FWIW, I played Jets vs Patriots on Madden yesterday, picked off Brady 5 times and Strait had 3 picks. I guess that's his best game ever, reality or video!

12. Penning-10

Penning-10 New Member

I don't get it?

How can a guy who not only won the award for best Defensive Back in the Nation and Best OVERALL Defensive Player in the Nation be cut after only two years? Two of which he was getting the shaft from Herm and Company?

I've always liked the kid. Any kid who can overcome the adversity of living in a car growing up is not only cool with me, but seems like a charactor individual if there ever was.

I'm not happy about this at all and need to know exactly what happened.

13. Penning-10

Penning-10 New Member

Not only that, but I was pumped when we stole him in the 3rd round after he slipped after he had a bum hamstring at his pro day.

14. theanalogkid

theanalogkid New Member

He's too slow to play corner, too small to play saftey.

15. silent scream

silent scream Well-Known Member

Did Andre Maddox get picked-up by anyone? At least the book on him was that he could lay the wood.

16. luvdemjets1998

luvdemjets1998 New Member

True but that would make it a total of 5 RBs on our roster. I really dont understand this move to release Strait

17. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I thought Derrick Strait, stellar college cornerback, award winner, and underrated superstar in the wings was supposed to be our shutdown secondary player?

-X-

18. lude

lude New Member

I have a funny Derrick Strait story.

I was at the front of the line on Draft Day this year at the Hard Rock (they were letting in groups at a time, and I got stopped right at the front). Derrick Strait, Rashad Washington and some girl walked up to the hostess (I didn't recognize either of them), and says to her "I need to be down there" and points to the entrance where they're letting everyone in. She retorts, "You'll have to wait on line like everyone else." He replies calmly and kinda giggly, "Nah but I'm on the team..." She cackles, and is like "Yeah, right, get to the back of the line"

A few more exchanges of him proclaiming he was on the team, and someone from Jets PR walked over and straightened out the situation, but it was a good laugh while it lasted

19. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Something tells me that the Jets may never call you and state exactly what happened.

How can guys like Ryan Leaf and Ron Dayne have such stellar college careers, yet when they come to the NFL and it looks as if they never played a down of organized football? It's called "adapting" to a new league, and becoming a greater player than you were before. Some guys can hack it, others can't. Strait is one who couldn't bring his game to the next level.

Look at it this way- You need an accountant because the IRS is badly on your ass. You know a guy who really excelled in college, was in the honor society, Dean's list and all of the accounting clubs- rec'd awards, accolades etc. However, since graduation, he never sat for the CPA test and has really done some spot duty here and there, for various firms. Do you want him to represent you, or would you rather have the guy who did what he needed to do in college, graduated, and is now a certified CPA with an established client base? I know where I'd throw my money and suspect that your answer is the same.

Growing up, living in cars makes for a nice Hallmark movie of the week, but if you can't prove yourself over the last 3+ seasons then I really have no use for you.

20. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

I have to say thats a very good point KOZ, plus I love the hallmark movie of the week. Nice touch. So who is next. I think our NT situation needs a shake up as well.