Democratic Primaries in the Age of Corona

Discussion in 'Politics' started by barfolomew, Mar 18, 2020.

1. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

This past week I was considering that coronavirus related delays in voting in several states may help Sen. Sanders blunt Mr.Biden's momentum. Last night the three states that voted as scheduled (Florida, Illinois, Arizona), showed up big time for Mr.Biden. Was last night the nail in the coffin for Sen. Sanders or can he use these preliminary delays to eat into Mr. Biden's rapid gains?

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Given the crisis we're in, if Bernie is a good person, he'll drop out and endorse Biden. Or at the very least, gradually transition to dropping out and endorsing Biden. By adopting Warren's bankruptcy plan, Biden had shown that he will likely adopt some of Bernie's ideas as well. But that all depends on Bernie's true colors, which he's about to reveal.

3. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Bernie should just bow out and run as independent to kill the Dems :D:D:D

4. barfolomew

Haha, only if Mitt Romney does the same for the Republicans. ;)

nyjetsmets89 likes this.
  5. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

It was clearly over for Bernie after Super Tuesday. I figure he was just hanging on hoping Biden would have a dementia implosion during Sunday's debate, which didn't happen.

NYJFan10 and Mogriffjr like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

So we can get more of all this winning?

7. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Do you REALLY think if, let's say, Obama was in the White House the coronavirus thing would not be as devastating?

nyjetsmets89 likes this.
  8. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

absolutely. He had a team assembled for this purpose. And it’s back to Obama again with you brain dead trump voters. Why reveal that you’re this dense?

Mogriffjr likes this.
  9. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

personal attack... goodbye

joe likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

Yes.

11. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Well, that's your opinion. I am just looking around the world and seeing things being as bad or worse. So, I don't think it would make a difference.

12. HerndonFan

HerndonFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I wouldn't mind that. We need new political parties that have a shot at winning national elections. Or maybe make party labels a thing of the past.

stinkyB likes this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

The virus spread through Asia and Europe ahead of the time it spread through here. There was a window where we could have done more, and we didn't. And Trump publicly said numerous times that the virus was being overblown. I'm pretty sure at the very least that Obama wouldn't have said those things. And that likely would have bought us some extra time. Also, aren't personal attacks allowed on this forum?

14. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

What could we have done? Travel restrictions to China as soon as the virus began spreading there? A number of Democrats criticized Trump when he did announce travel restrictions. Imagine the outcry if he did it as soon as we heard about the virus in China. Trump did say that the coronavirus issue was overblown because he was most likely too afraid that it would hurt his re-election chances. That's the thing with politicians on both sides - their primary concern is how to get elected/re-elected.

and he had it coming for a while now...

dawinner127 likes this.
  15. barfolomew

Before his recent drubbings but even after Super Tuesday, Pres. Trump made comments about Sen. Sanders making me think the President saw Sen. Sanders as the real threat. Probably not anymore with yesterday's ass whopping, but when Pres. Trump was running in the primaries in 2016 he made a lot of sympathetic comments about Sen. Sanders, and he has actually made some this time around. I think Pres. Trump and Sen. Sanders tap into fundamental economic and social anxieties of Americans, and the President sees Sen. Sanders as a rival but fellow populist.

16. Cman65

Cman65 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

17. HomeoftheJets

The number one thing Trump could have done was tell the American people a month ago that coronavirus is a serious problem. Instead he did the opposite, which is why social distancing didn't start until very recently. If we had started it earlier, the virus's impact on lives (and its long-term impact on the economy) would have been less severe. As for the bolded statement, while it's true politicians on both sides have selfish motives, what Trump did was incredibly selfish. Maybe Obama or Hillary would have been that selfish (though my personal opinion is no). Regardless, the fact that Trump was that selfish puts a permanent stain on his presidency. Let's put it this way, if he pulled a stunt like that in the private sector, his ass would be out the door. One last point: this isn't even a partisan thing. There are plenty of Republicans who wouldn't have done what Trump did. This is primarily a Trump thing.

Same DarnOld Jets and Mogriffjr like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

A virus that is virtually undetectable in some people and doesn't look much different than a bad seasonal cold for healthy individuals would've been more easily stopped by Obama?

The only thing Trump did wrong was not having more testing readily available and jumping on the meetings he had with the private sector 2-3 weeks earlier. This thing is in our faces and has drastically changed most of our lives. And South Beach is still absolutely loaded with spring breakers.

I agree he should've treated it more seriously in the beginning. I think in a non-election year he shuts the borders down in a heart beat. It's a shame that that gets in the way. He restricted travel to China and the Democrats instantly played identity politics. You think Obama was shutting down travel anywhere or closing borders under such circumstances?

He didn't handle it extremely well but this virus was coming here one way or another.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

China wasn't very upfront with what was going on either. The World Health Organization couldn't even get a beat on this thing. This thing was going to spread throughout the world regardless of what anyone did.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/01/19...ng-concerns-of-person-to-person-transmission/

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

I'm not saying Obama would have stopped the virus from entering the United States. But I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have spent a month telling everyone it wasn't a big deal. A lot could have been accomplished in that month if Trump hadn't blown it.

NYJFan10 and stinkyB like this.