Demaryuis Thomas?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe D MVP, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

Loved the draft a ton!!!!! We could still use a bit of WR help. Time to give him a call? Knows the system did decent last year, min deal? Could help Mims similar skill set.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Oh man I thought he was still on the team! Ya, we should definitely get him back. He's a good, stable vet than can do wonders for Mims and Sam both.

3. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

he’s actively seeking out a team to play for no takers as of yet. Seems he is hoping for Denver as of last I saw. Lets extend the olive branch.

egelband and Footballgod214 like this.
  4. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

I am glad you started this thread. I could not think of his name to save my life. We need him. He can still play. We need that veteran leadership and he is highly skilled. I think either Quincy gets traded or I don’t know...he just got paid.

5. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

The roster could do with a solid vet for camp (if there is one) at least. No guarantees - if the kids are ready he won't make the final roster. DT would fit the bill but I expect he will want a bit more. I also expect it depends on Enunwa.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

DT was brutal to watch last year. So many big drops. But it sounds like you were respecting voice in the locker room and someone that’s good to have around especially with a young quarterback and now a young receiver who kind of fits the same mold as him when he was in Denver running the same offense.

The WR room is full though. Mims, Perriman, Crowder, Doctson, Smith, Berrios and I won’t even include Enunwa. That’s 6 receivers and Gase rarely carries over 5 for whatever dumb reason. Not sure there’s room for him.

7. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I think fans really wanted the Jets to lock down an elite 1-2 WR for our young cornerback. Tampa has Chris Godwin and Mike Evans, the Rams have Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp. The Jets have Crowder and alot of question marks. Mims included. I think one or two of these guys could step up to be a WR1, but its no sure thing. All in all the GM did a good job, primarily by completely turning over the starting OL, his work in the weapons dept is incomplete.

ColoradoContrails and tomdeb like this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

They must think Mims is the guy but it’s hard to believe that to be the case when they traded down with him on the board. If you think someone is a stud you draft them and don’t give another team 11 chances to trade up and get him or let 11 teams take the BPA. That to me says he wasn’t our BPA and Douglas felt confident that he wasn’t the BPA on anyone else’s board halfway through the second.

ColoradoContrails and PulseJet like this.
  9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Unless you also think Chase Claypool, Van Jefferson, and Denzel Mims were the guy, all of whom were available before the Jets traded back.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

Are you asking if I felt those other players were “the guy” or are you saying Douglas hedged and liked all of them so he traded back?

PJ4Ever likes this.
  11. MaximusD163

I’m saying Joe D thought they were all legit and gambled on getting one.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

Gotcha. Potentially, but man did that almost backfire. Trading back 11 spots when you have 3 guys you like and the run on receivers was likely to start in the second round...

13. MaximusD163

Calculated risk. Of the 11 picks, 3 had already drafted WR’s (MIN, PHI, (DAL). 1 traded a first rounder for a receiver (BUF). 1 had 2 picks so even if they went WR in one, that likely would leave another pick safe (LAR). There were 5 other spots a WR could have gone, but many of them were unlikely to take one for other reasons.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

The funny thing is that many fans were willing to trade #48 + one of the 3rds + move up to get Mims... Joe Douglas did a nice job navigating the board.

SOJAZ likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

I get the logic and even at the time it seemed like a smart move my whole thing is if you truly feel like someone is THE guy, you take him and sometimes trade up for him. That’s the whole point of trade ups right? I’m not complaining about the way it turned out at all, I’m a big Mims fan, I just don’t think they were as high on any of these receivers as we thought/as we wish they were. It’s a confusing stance considering how week we are at the position.

Edit: and for the record I absolutely think Mims has “the guy” potential.

16. BroadwayAaron

And I was one of them only I wanted Pittman and I thought we’d only have to move up 5-6 spots to lock him up. I never even considered Mims as a possibility during the predraft process because I just assumed that he would be the first receiver off the board in the second round with there being potential for him to be off the board at the end of the first.

RochesterJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I think the Rams taking Van Jefferson when they have a solid combo might have been unexpected. Also Denver going back to back WR in rounds 1&2. But like said above, Douglas took a bet that one of these guys would be available to him. He was right but we will never know how his board stacked up.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. MaximusD163

I think that is untrue for a franchise in this position, that needs so much help with the exception of for a QB. Trading up for anyone besides QB is only a good idea for teams making a championship push, just my opinion.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Probably not an original thought, but I saw the Raiders selected 3 WRs in the first three rounds. They will probably try to keep all three, but if they release one on final cutdown day to try to sneak him onto the practice squad, Joe might put in a claim if interested.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

So who are we dumping for a slow, old guy?