Defund the Police

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Acad23, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm no fan of cops.
    I've been ticketed, harassed, arrested, beaten and otherwise treated like shit by the police.

Some of it was justified...most of it not. But it was always brutal.
    Being a painfully handsome white man didn't save me...but I have no doubt it woulda went worse if I wasn't.

But as these 'protests' have shown...law & order would disappear in a heartbeat if there was no police presence.

Weed out the bad ones...hire better candidates...have independent prosecutors...train better...get rid of the military equipment/paraphernalia...list goes on.

But no police makes no sense...unless you're a criminal.

2. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Russia will use its twitter bots to meme this to the point that Joe Biden will have to run on this idea or his base will be unhappy.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

4. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I’ve had experiences when I was younger too. I’ve changed my views on cops as a whole. Most of my “friends” when I was younger could have used a good beating.

I would love for cops in the cities where the worst is going on to protest too. Don’t come in tomorrow. Or the next day. See how fast all these people sitting at home cheering this shit on call when the chaos reAches their front door and they have to wonder how to protect their family. They dont like guns, they dont like police. Try and plead with some youth with no conscience . See how fast they go from revolution supporter to Karen.

Acad23 likes this.
  5. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

The protesters would get looted if there were no cops.

6. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

I think the biggest problem with cops today is they have forgotten to read the slogans on their cars "To protect and to serve".

Many law officials are on a huge ego power trip.

I am no Dr. Phil, but looking at the Floyd video, I think I can explain why Chauvin continues with his knee on Floyd's neck. Civilian bystanders are pleading with him to stop, but his arrogant power ego trip is telling him not to stop, because to stop means you must admit you are wrong and you can't let non cops tell you what to do.

I wonder had there been no bystanders telling him he was screwing up if he would have released his knee and possibly spared Floyd's life eventually. Basically Chauvin was defying what he was being told to do by the bystanders because there was no way he was going to let non cops tell him what to fucken do. If we could only get Chauvin to be honest and tell us if this was the reason.

How many times have we seen people complaining to cops that the handcuffs are too tight, and what happens next, they tighten it some more?

How many times have you tried to communicate with a cop to ask basic questions like hey is the road closed, is it ok for me to go or should I stop, can you give me directions, or whatever and you feel you have been shit on?

Obviously cops have forgotten that they work for us the public who pay their salaries, and as the fucking customer we deserve some respect, is that too much to ask?

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

There's just too many cops where I live for the amount of crime we have, they are all unionized and way overpaid, they can't be fired except for gross misconduct. Every year they come up with new and interesting toys they just can't do their jobs without. Swat vans, a drone program, etc. Most of them retire comfortably by 50. I'm totally cool with slashing their budgets.

Figures fiscally conservative Republicans are on board with this.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We should get to vote by neighborhood which ones want policing jurisdiction in their areas and which don't.

A rather simple solution in my eyes.

9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Personally, I think the Police were an extremely overrated band (Aside from "Roxanne" making for a good drunk party sing-a-long song, and a great bit by Eddie Murphy in 48 hrs) ..... I think we should defund their royalty checks and donate that money to charity.

FJF and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this front to an extent. Suburban cops are paid a shit ton of money but a lot of times that's part of the allure of what draws them into wanting to be a cop.

Put in some long shitty years in urban areas to retire in the suburbs and get to break up high school parties and enforce city zoning laws when two dickhead neighbors are fighting over property.

The deal with the devil was made with these unions (at least in NY/NJ) to base pensions off solely your last (and highest paid) year of service. Seems a bit ridiculous.

A couple things I think could help police departments.

• More training and sensitivity training and what not. De-escalation training and all that
    • Get rid of the 7AM-7PM shifts. If anyone's ever worked a long shift you know how frustrated you are by the end.
    • More ways to subdue a suspect without using lethal force. Our US military has developed lasers that zap missiles out of the sky but we only have stun guns and pepper spray? Put some R+D into this
    • More empowerment for officers to overrule other officers in the field. Think about what you saw and put it in better perspective. Was that 5'5" officer of Asian descent ripping Chauvin, his commanding officer, off of him? C'mon now. He should've but still think about the dynamics.
    • I always thought police officers should always roll in two. We can't act like there aren't deadly suspects out there with weapons. I think two officers approaching a car at once automatically de-escalates the situation a bit quicker.
    • I don't know how to do it. But we need more shit like this below.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The State budget shortfalls will defund police, fire, sanitation, prisons and teachers.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

no shit. who do you think is pushing this nonsense. low lifes and criminals.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Can we defund the police and lax gun laws?

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It proves just the opposite. Order is about the overwhelming trust of society in the institutions of law. Once that trust fails the police can't hold it together. The looting and rioting weren't prevented by the police, it was caused by feeling that the institutions were no longer acting lawfully. When the police and the Justice system appears to be rigged and operating unlawfully, the police won't be able to maintain order unless society accepts the notion of a lawless police state. That would require a very big shift for the majority of Americans.

15. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Welcome back to the Dark Ages.

16. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I don’t think the rioting and looting had anything to do with the police acting unlawfully. It was because they were outstretched and the opportunity opened up. Whether by convenience or design. As loud as this situation has been, it’s not the silent majority of this country. The majority were not in th streets, they were at home or at work and have too much to lose by participation in any of it whether they agree or not. Most still very much want a civilian police force.

Skicats likes this.
  17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We only need to police the 15% of the population that Joe Biden has identified as 'bad guys'...:mad:

18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

So no more hazard pay?

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I want a civilian police force. The US police force compared to almost ever major 1st world country looks and behaves like storm troopers.

FJF likes this.