Defensive Pass Interference on 2 Point Conversion?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Patriot, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Assume the offense is going for a 2 point conversion. The ball is placed on the two-yard line. The offense tries to complete a pass at the endzone for the 2 point conversion. The defender interferes causing a Pass Interference call to be made. The ball is automatically placed on the one-yard line. The 2 point conversion is retried.

The offense again tries to complete a pass at the endzone for the 2 point conversion. The defender again interferes causing a Pass Interference call to be made. The ball is automatically placed on the one-yard line again. The 2 point conversion is retried again.

This scenario can repeat itself forever if the defense is determined not to allow a receiver from catching the ball. Am I missing a rule here? This seems to suggest it would make sense for the defense to interfere all it wants on a pass play for a 2 point conversion. Again this assumes you feel your defense can stop any running play.

Am I interpreting the rules incorrectly or is this just a weird phenomenon of the 2 point conversion rules?

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Mods, please delete this thread before Belichick gets any ideas.

FinnishJET, Acad23, NY Jets68 and 5 others like this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's half the distance to the goal not the 1 yard line. at some point the ball would be an inch from the end zone for an easy QB sneak

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Unless Zeno is the quarterback, in which case they get closer and closer to the goal line, but never actually reach it.

(A little math humor there for those who recognize it.)

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about repeating it multiple times, but I have said before if you are up 7 or someone is going for a 2-point conversion to tie, and you are a CB and get beat: definitely grab your opponent or do what you can to not let the touchdown happen. I'd rather give a team the ball at the 1 instead of the free TD. Every situation is different though.

Burnz and GasedAndConfused like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Zeno's paradox has nothing on Geno's paradox. :mad::mad::mad:

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Yes, you could interfere with the receiver infinitely, or you could just make a play and, you know, stop the conversion.

8. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing, but was not sure until your post and reading this from the rule book which took a while to find.

Penalty: For pass interference by the defense: First down for the offensive team at the spot of the foul. If the interference is also a personal foul (12-2), the 15-yard penalty for such a foul is also enforced, either from the spot of the foul (for interference), or from the end of the run if the foul for pass interference is declined. If the interference is behind the defensive goal line, it is first down for the offensive team on the defense’s one-yard line, or, if the previous spot was inside the two-yard line, halfway between the previous spot and the goal line.

So it does look like you are correct.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I’ll show you my asymptote if you show me yours.

10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The refs aren't going to call 'em all.