Defensive Muddle Huddle? Offensive creativity

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 88toon, Sep 27, 2008.

1. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

After the BYE each of the last 2 seasons, we seem to have come out in games with that "muddle huddle" defense......when all the down lineman and linebackers kind of stand around the line of scrimmage and shift around in an up position then attack/fall back after the snap totally confusing the opposing offensive line and hurting the quarterbacks ability to read the defense. Where has that been? That was critical in all of the close NE games (why the hell we didn't use it against in inexperienced Cassell is beyond me) and in some other games. Where is the creativity with this defense? What is Sutton being paid for?

On offense in the past we've run reverses, lined up LC in the backfield at the snap having him run a wheel route, run direct snaps to Leon etc. Where is the creativity? We don't exactly have the offensive talent to line up in base formations and beat people. Mangini and this staff seem really lost sometime. These are plays that don't require Brett to have a complete grasp of the offense either. Direct snaps to Brad Smith? I see NO creativity yet. We have yet to run one trick/gadget play on offense this year.....flea flicker? nothing!!!!!

Look what Miami did. They don't have the offense to outslug teams, so they out tricked NE.....and had fun and it worked. If we don't start using some imagination on both sides of the ball, its going to be a long season. And I am not asking for 10 trick plays a game.....1 or 2 to keep people honest.

The coaching staff is regressing.....I am not in a panic mode whatsoever, but dammit, lets get creative and stop playing so conservatively

2. GreenScreen313

GreenScreen313 New Member

well, in the charger game.....we were down bigtime, early. So that took away our run game.

and in Miami, we won -- no point in complaining there.

then there's just the NE game ... coulda shoulda woulda.

I don't think they feel like they want to move around that much on defense now that they have the stout kris jenkins up front, but I agree that I enjoyed when linebackers would move around a bit. They looked like hungry dogs

3. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

Fu**in' A! What else can be said--you're right on all points.

Miami played to their strength which is Williams and Brown. I don't see it as trickery, rather, intelligent offensive design.

Lots of folks talk about the difficulty in learning new plays, what about this as an example of how easy it is? One week from conception to reality and they beat the pats with it. And I doubt Sparano is resting on his laurels. I expect Miami will have another set of plays off this structure Sunday.

What is the Jets strength? Not that it's so overwhelming, but in my opinion, our strength is pass protection, the QB, and receivers including LW. An intelligent playbook would be built around these.

Some people are talking about using up clock against the Cards. Well, that's a good idea but its a defensive idea. How about some offensive ideas Mangini?

4. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

At times, Mangini's ideas can definitely be offensive.

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I just want to see a vertical offense. Favre is a gunslinger let's throw it down the field... We should be able to run and throw effectively now with the guys we brought in here. Something just ain't right so far and it's a combination of Schottenheimer and Favre being too new w/ the playbook. I can see Favre getting better as the season goes on, but I have zero faith in our OC.

6. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Ah-hem

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=36201&highlight=creep

Favre didn't run the run and shoot in Green Bay. Favre grew up in a hybrid west coast style system and that's what they kept around him for his career. Look at the WRs and his teammates. He made it to the super bowl with a strong running game behind him and his greatest success in this past season came with wrs who could be physical, had great hands, and fought for yards after the catch while being able to run deep routes...where have I seen a wr corps like that?

#6 CatoTheElder, Sep 28, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  7. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I Agree dude , The coaching staff needs to stop walking around with there shlungs between there legs and start calling some creative ass plays they've cooked up in the past. LETS DO THIS SHOTTY!