Defensive Formation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BacktoQueens, Aug 26, 2017.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Haven't seen much discussion about our D formation. The Jets ran almost exclusively Nickel D against Detroit last week as a base D.

What was surprising to me wasn't so much running Nickel all game, it was the personnel they ran Nickel with.
    I figured they would either incorporate 3 Safeties (Big Nickel), or 3 DL plus 1 OLB on the line, based on the personnel we have.

Instead they ran:
    2 DL plus 2 standing OLB's on the line
    2 ILB
    5 DB

The 2 DL starters were Mo and Leonard essentially playing DT, with Sheldon rotating in. McLendon took some early snaps also.
    OLB starters were Jenkins and Bishop
    ILB starters were Davis and Lee
    DB formation was a little more creative. I couldn't tell exactly what they were doing with the Safeties, which was probably the point. Adams was definitely moved all around. Maye was moved around also, but seemed to have more deep responsibilities.
    Maye looked pretty good too, very physical player, good angles.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.
    I like the backfield creativity, but considering our DL is so deep, and LB corp weak, I would change up that front.
    Get Sheldon, McLendon and the other big bodies on the field more.

Will be interesting to see if the Nickel trend continues against the Giants tonite, of if they were just trying this out.

#1 BacktoQueens, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    NCJetsfan, ajax and Red Menace like this.
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Excellent observation, I agree that the bigs need to be on the field more, and I believe you will see it when the season starts.

This is probably something that they were experimenting with, the LB corp that is so highly touted in TC, has done nothing unless they see the 2nd and 3rds of the opposing team offense.

Mayes and Adams will give them incredible flexibility as they can be used to cover TE as well.

#2 Red Menace, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    BacktoQueens likes this.
  3. BacktoQueens

This is a big test for Bowles.
    He's got a good track record as DC, specializes in Safety coaching and creativity, has played S, and now has 2 early picks at S that fit his defense.

Pressure is on him to make that work, and I think he will.

But DL is still the strength of the team, and I agree LB's are nothing special at all.

Will be interesting to see what he does with it all.
    If he can rebound his coaching reputation, it has to start on D (and then player motivation and being less f'n conservative)..

Red Menace likes this.
  4. BacktoQueens

also worth noting that Josh Martin should be a starter.
    He's been our best OLB, and has been rotating with the starters.

McDougle has also had an excellent preseason.
    He'll find his way onto the field, at least in Dime.